Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6321 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 6789

Default Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

My Dad was an English Teacher/ Poet and would have said that Shakespeare, Huxley and Bradbury were hugely influential to his mindset. My Mom the artist would have pointed at Renoir, Picasso and Dali as speaking her language and sculpting her life. I dont like reading that much and the beauty of Art is in the eye of the beholder, I see more beauty in a nice stick of old growth Oak than Whistlers Mom and I dont have time to read novels!

I was an emerging rocker in the 70's, I think the very best Rock ever produced came from late 60's and much of the 70's. I was one of those that would wear my vinyl out trying to hear and understand every word and note they sang and played. Those were very turbulent times and our nation and world were evolving every day, corporate mentality was on the rise and agrarian lifestyles had moved from a normal living to fringe.

This thread is about the "Most influential Album of my life", for me it was Pink Floyd, Animals! Talk about the cold hard facts, thats exactly what they did, illuminate the bold and cold new world we were all entering like lambs to the slaughter. 35 years later the song "Dogs" really incites my anger, more-so than the first time I heard it because its exactly what our society has evolved to. There are three types of metaphoric 2 legged animals that dominate this earth, Sheep, Pigs and Dogs! If your not one, your one of the other 2!

"You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight,
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking"

It was a real trip into the dark side of Humanity. Floyd did that better than nearly anyone else including Freud (Sigmund)! A close second was Genesis, Foxtrot. Dont even get me going on the unnatural genetic alteration of society were going through for our Own Good. If its not your food, its in those tubes of goo they inject us and our children with to fix what they perceive as faults in the human design. Just think how much we could save if every human was less than 4" tall full grown?

"A carved oak table,
Tells a tale
Of times when Kings and queens sipped wine from goblets gold,
And the brave would lead their ladies from out the room
to arbours cool.
A time of valour, and legends born
A time when honour meant much more to a man than life
And the days knew only strife to tell right from wrong
Through lance and sword."

I know we all love all types of fun and interesting music but some of it goes further than just entertaining for me, it gives lessons we no longer get from the adults in charge of our planet. This thread is about bands, songs and albums that changed your life, let it rip kids!!!!!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 06-26-2014 at 11:49 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 561 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 2829

Now you got me listening to Pink Floyed. I have always been a Pink Floyed fan. I remember the first time I heard "Dogs" for the first time, it was late one night and when I heard the dogs barking I had to look out the window to be sure it wasn't someone messing around outside, as it was around 2 to 3 am in the morning.
I was never a musician but had a couple of friends that were. One was a basist, and the other a Keyboardist who had a nice older Hammond with a Lesli. Both of my old friends have since passed. Anyway I always loved Pink Floyed, Grand Funk Railroad, and Savoy Brown!
I would say all three of them have had an influence on my life.

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6321 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 6789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
Now you got me listening to Pink Floyed. I have always been a Pink Floyed fan. I remember the first time I heard "Dogs" for the first time, it was late one night and when I heard the dogs barking I had to look out the window to be sure it wasn't someone messing around outside, as it was around 2 to 3 am in the morning.
I was never a musician but had a couple of friends that were. One was a basist, and the other a Keyboardist who had a nice older Hammond with a Lesli. Both of my old friends have since passed. Anyway I always loved Pink Floyed, Grand Funk Railroad, and Savoy Brown!
I would say all three of them have had an influence on my life.
Immediately after writing the thread, I put animals on, so awesome. The dogs do sound like they are just outside the door!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Dark Side of The Moon.
Trippy then, trippy now.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

There are several that influenced my style of drumming as I was growing up in the 90's.

Failure
Helmet
The Police

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Best album? Oh man, I can't choose just one.

How about Gigantic Album? ... 64 GB of MP3s

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

dango Likes This 
Old 06-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

up until about the mid 1970's i was more into country and western, and the older rock of the 1950's and 1960's, as that was what my father listened to. about the mid 1970's, because of being exposed to the more modern rock of the times, i have to say much of the newer rock came to be the prefered style of music i listened to.

i can't really say a particular album or artist was heavily influential to my life as i listened to a great many at the time.

Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Foreigner, Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Eagles, and so many others that i was listening to.

many of the groups and artists of the mid 1960's to the early 1970's i didn't even start really listening to until much later in my adult life. maybe becasue later in life i gained a different appreciation for the artists and the messages they were trying to convey in their music.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1824

For me it is probably the "DIRT" album from Alice In Chains. With songs like "Rooster", "Rain When I Die", and "Down In a Hole". Its hard not to pick that one. Lane was a powerful vocalist, and Jerry is just an overall great music artist.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 471 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 156

When I was a kid, the only music I ever heard was country,, my father,, and my mother made us sit down and watch the Lawrence Welk Show every Saturday evening so we would quote " get some culture ". I saw The Beatles and Doors on Sullivan's show and though I could never hear them on the radio,, n.e. Ga. at that time had no stations playing that hippy music . I earned some cash chasing cows around for a local farmer and got a transistor radio and the single little ear plug phone. Late at night in bed I could pick up rock and roll,, I was amazed and hooked. No one particular album or group, too many I enjoy although the first 8 tracks I bought were Kansas, first album, self titled, Tull's Thick As a Brick, and L.Z. II,,,, all at one time at the truck stop,,, I still remember having to put the match book or the folded up plastic beer can holders under the tape so it would play properly.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2929 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

I don't know how influential they were on me but, ZZ Top's Fandango, Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic, and Earth, Wind and Fire's White album took a beating in vinyl, 8-track and cassette back in my youth.

The In the Flesh Tour concert I saw at The Spectrum in 1977, when Floyd was promoting Animals was topped only by Parliament Funkadelic's Mothership Connection concert I saw in the fall of 1976.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
dango Likes This