Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Most funny/stupid thing you ever heard at the range/ gun shop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Several years ago my brother and I were at a public shooting range. While the range was still hot a group of 5-6 Boy Scouts and a couple of adult "instructors" came up to the firing line in anticipation of shooting. When the firing line was clear my brother went down to change our targets, but I stayed by the guns (this was our usual practice at public ranges -- one of us went down, the other one stayed). With people still downrange changing/checking targets, I heard one of the adults tell the scouts to go ahead and load up. Not load mags; load their guns. I stepped over and asked if they at least wait until my brother wasn't downrange. And these guys were supposed to be teaching the Scouts gun safety.

Last edited by txpossum; 06-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Was in a gun shop and someone called in asking if they sold "Asault Shotguns".

Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I know I've heard dumb stuff at gun shows, but can't think of any, right now.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5880 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 6233

Ive been on and run hundreds of ranges in the military and seen and heard about everything you can think of. I was once the story of the day on a range. Our Unit had recently been issued the new 9mm, fresh and brandy new out of the box 2 weeks prior to Annual Training. Officers and TOW Gunners were the primary users so they trained apart from us most of the morning while we conducted our m16 zero and record fire on another range. I finished the Zero Range, closed it, qual fired and wandered over to the pistol popup range to see how things were going. Within about 10 minutes, I found myself preparing to qual with a weapon I was totally unfamiliar with (never even held) cause they had a ton of left over ammo and we still had a couple hours left on the range!

Im a lefty with a pistol so they arent really built for me anyways but I was ready to give it a try. I fired my first mag (all hits!), dropped it, was reloading and my finger hit the upper slide release and slide it did; right off the rear of the weapon and onto the ground! I scooped it up ASAP, knocked the dirt off it, slid it back on and continued to fire. Lost a couple shots in the fumbling but still fired expert (I dont know how). I did get my balls busted for the next few days but learned never to purposely display my ignorance publicly hence forth if that could be avoided!

I was pretty happy with my M16 from then on!...

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 06-25-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I was at Cabelas a couple days ago. I was looking at the used handguns. A guy in his early twenties was behind the counter. I pointed out a Kahr like mine to my wife. The guy tells us that he carries a 380. I simply said that I prefer a 9mm to the 380. But it was better than nothing. He goes on to say it doesn't matter what you carry. He tells me that a 22lr will stop a person in their tracks. Then he tells me that a 38 S&W has the most stopping power and has a heavier bullet than a 45acp and travels faster. And he was actually talking about the old 38 S&W. Not even a 38 special. He told me that England put 5 years into the development of the cartridge and that it was more powerful than anything we have today. I told him he is a dumba$$ and needs to learn about ballistics before he gets someone killed by his stupidity.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #16

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

I was in a gun shop near me looking at a 9mm s&w shield. The guy behind the counter was adamant that I need a s&w airweight 38 spl. I asked to see the shield and he pulled it out along with the revolver. I have nothing against wheelguns but they aren't my cup of tea for concealed carry. This guy was adamant about the revolver. I left wiyhout buying anything. I can't stand pushy gun salesmen.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1785 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I was in a gun shop near me looking at a 9mm s&w shield. The guy behind the counter was adamant that I need a s&w airweight 38 spl. I asked to see the shield and he pulled it out along with the revolver. I have nothing against wheelguns but they aren't my cup of tea for concealed carry. This guy was adamant about the revolver. I left wiyhout buying anything. I can't stand pushy gun salesmen.
Sounds like maybe he was in line to get a bonus if he sold you that Airweight.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #18

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Its a beautiful revolver but not for me

Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Here's one,

Years ago a friend and I went to a small public shooting range to check our deer rifles before deer season. When we pulled up we noticed 2 men and a woman sitting at one of the only two benches at this little range,little closer observation and these people have a mountain of empty beer cans and a cooler on the bench!!??

We hop out of the truck in the parking lot and start listening to them,they're giggling drunk and shooting groups,I guess to see who buys the next case of beer??

So we're contemplating on leaving or out waiting these drunks?
When all of a sudden one goes down to check targets and his buddy still at the bench is yelling to his drinkin' buddy going down range to hold still and he would shoot his hat off!!?? ....His buddy hollered back " I ain't warin' no hat!!
You should've seen the look on my friends face after that comment,his eyes were twice as big as this symbol LOL

Last edited by MOshooter; 06-25-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Here's one,

Years ago a friend and I went to a small public shooting range to check our deer rifles before deer season. When we pulled up we noticed 2 men and a woman sitting at one of the only two benches at this little range,little closer observation and these people have a mountain of empty beer cans and a cooler on the bench!!??

We hop out of the truck in the parking lot and start listening to them,they're giggling drunk and shooting groups,I guess to see who buys the next case of beer??

So we're contemplating on leaving or out waiting these drunks?
When all of a sudden one goes down to check targets and his buddy still at the bench is yelling to his drinkin' buddy going down range to hold still and he would shoot his hat off!!?? ....His buddy hollered back " I ain't warin' no hat!!
You should've seen the look on my friends face after that comment,his eyes were twice as big as this symbol LOL
Nature has a way of weeding out the idiots.