Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The most awesome idea for a coffee table ever. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/most-awesome-idea-coffee-table-ever-68468/)

sputnik1988 07-18-2012 09:03 PM

The most awesome idea for a coffee table ever.

Just got hom from my LGS, where the owner told about his idea for a coffee table...

He's sold several crates of Mosin Nagants and said that he would like to get another and put a glass top on it, leaving the Mosin's untouched.

He said that he wanted to etch a small "Break in case of emergency" in the corner. I thought it sounded like an awesome idea.:cool:

Mosin 07-18-2012 09:23 PM

Nice! More like 'Break in case of emergency, and spend the next 2 weeks cleaning cosmoline off guns'

sputnik1988 07-18-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 874135)
Nice! More like 'Break in case of emergency, and spend the next 2 weeks cleaning cosmoline off guns'

Yeah, I believe I would clean them up a bit and then put them back in.:p

tri70 07-19-2012 02:34 AM

A very tough Plexiglases with a hidden hinge would work to, that way if someone tried to steal them it would be hard to figure out.

Tackleberry1 07-19-2012 02:53 AM

Pretty Cool...

I'm waiting for my next bank or check cashing project hoping to snag a scrap piece of ballistic glass. Most teller windows are Level II rated and should stop common pistol rounds.

I thought I'd pump an array of cool defensive rounds into the glass then mount it to a table "holes down" so you could see the bullet's noses expanded or partially expanded. :cool:

Doing some research it sounds like the ballistic glass layers separate upon impact creating a large opaque area so I don't think I'll get the clear "round stuck in glass" look I was hoping for...:mad:

It will be fun finding out though! :)

Tack

Secondhand_Hero 07-19-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Pretty Cool...

I'm waiting for my next bank or check cashing project hoping to snag a scrap piece of ballistic glass. Most teller windows are Level II rated and should stop common pistol rounds.

I thought I'd pump an array of cool defensive rounds into the glass then mount it to a table "holes down" so you could see the bullet's noses expanded or partially expanded. :cool:

Doing some research it sounds like the ballistic glass layers separate upon impact creating a large opaque area so I don't think I'll get the clear "round stuck in glass" look I was hoping for...:mad:

It will be fun finding out though! :)

Tack

Well in a more perfect world this would be a great idea! :)

c3shooter 07-19-2012 04:42 AM

Do not use the glass- it is incredibly heavy, and yes, immediate area of impact become opaque. Get some 1 inch Lexan polycarbonate. Low velocity stuff bounces off (45s) Hi Vel gets stuck in.

DougB 07-19-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 874584)
Get some 1 inch Lexan polycarbonate. Low velocity stuff bounces off (45s) Hi Vel gets stuck in.

Mighty expensive stuff! Will scratch quite easily too.

texaswoodworker 07-19-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 874584)
Do not use the glass- it is incredibly heavy, and yes, immediate area of impact become opaque. Get some 1 inch Lexan polycarbonate. Low velocity stuff bounces off (45s) Hi Vel gets stuck in.

Do we even want to know how you know that? :D

texaswoodworker 07-19-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougB (Post 874661)
Mighty expensive stuff! Will scratch quite easily too.

You could possible place a piece of regular glass over it to prevent scratches. How expensive is that stuff?