You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Mosques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I understand the freedom of religion and all but I think I have to lean with bkt on this one. It's downright disgraceful. Sure, you have the freedom to believe what you want. Worship a head of lettuce for all I care. But I believe 100% that the main reason to want to build there is just to remind Americans just who did what. I had read about some tactics used in torture in previous conflicts that some would use a Coke bottle to..Well..They used it knowing that there was nowhere in the world you could go without seeing one. So the victim is reminded when they see it. A mosque will do the same thing. It's a slap in the face to remind the people in NYC.

Sure, freedom of religion is great. But nowhere does it grant the freedom to built your alter anywhere you want. Go on and build it...But it should be somewhere else. And I would imagine any member of Islam that had any respect for what happened would agree.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #22

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Islam is a religion with deep roots. They saved medical information and many other documents from destruction in the dark ages. That beign said, what we see today is not the same as it was. Many people need to go and take a western civ class.

Back to the real topic. If they do this every one should take 5# of pork and drop it at the entrance to this new mosque. This is spitting in the face of every man women and child that was remotely affected by 9/11

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #23

Default Thanks For Your Support

Thanks guys/gals for letting me know I'm not the only one that feels this way. America is a land that accepts all people. Some of these people use our big hearts to gain access to our country only to bring it down. In the near future we will have to fight again to keep our way of life..

Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #24

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

This issue does bug me. I want U.S. citizens to be free to practice the religion of their choice. I absolutely DON'T want the government to pick sides & endorse or adopt any particular religion. I don't want the people most directly affected by the 9/11 attacks to be offended or bothered for the convenience of ANY religious group. I think the City & State should put a hold on all new construction of ANY religious or quasi-religious nature on that island in NYC until the last survivor of 9/11 has passed away, at least. After that, the issue should be put to a popular vote by NY residents, not even an indirect vote through a city council.

What really worries me is that as the Muslim population in this country grows, we may hear more & more of people in the Muslim community being punished for violating religious laws. I would have a hard time with somebody being "caned" for drinking with their supper while being Muslim. As a more-or-less agnostic raised Baptist, I hate to take sides in a religious contest, but it seems that the Christians may tell people who don't conform that they will go to hell while Muslims seem to have more of a reputation (maybe undeserved?) for sending people there directly. I hope my views have been skewed by the popular media.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think the City & State should put a hold on all new construction of ANY religious or quasi-religious nature on that island in NYC until the last survivor of 9/11 has passed away, at least. After that, the issue should be put to a popular vote by NY residents, not even an indirect vote through a city council.
I would second that motion all day long and 100% agree with you.

I don't want the Feds involved on either side of a religious issue.

That said, I think it is in poor taste to try and construct a Mosque at one of the most unholy sites for that religion on the planet. Bottom line, no one with any rememberance of that day is going to look at the Mosque and say "Yeah, that is what was needed here all along".

Very poor choice and even a worse decision by the planning commission.

JD

Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #26

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Again...No one wants to mess wit their faith of choice. But nowhere in the Constitution does it say you have a guarantee that you can build your church anywhere you want. THat aside I still see no way any self respecting anything (insert religious flavor here) would want to do something like this other than to piss in the face of the people that lost their lives on that ground.

It be no different than building a some christian building in some place Americans killed a crap load of Islamic. I'm sure that would warant a car bomb or two if the mosque=ateers had a place of equal carnage.
..Mousqueteers..I crack me up....

Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
It be no different than building some christian building in some place Americans killed a crap load of Islamic. I'm sure that would warrant a car bomb or two if the mosque=ateers had a place of equal carnage.
Indeed. They would not dare tolerate or stand for it.

My own PC opinion and solution to the whole idea and to the "Planning Commission" of NYC.

Jack
calvin-21.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #28

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
It be no different than building a some christian building in some place Americans killed a crap load of Islamic. I'm sure that would warant a car bomb or two if the mosque=ateers had a place of equal carnage.
..Mousqueteers..I crack me up....
I LOL'd at "Mosqueteers".

I wonder, did the Christians of the Crusades build churches everywhere they attacked or just where they settled or what? What about the Muslims of that era? Maybe the Muslims are just keeping up a long-forgotten tradition that dates from the Crusade era in Jerusalem. {sarcasm smiley} If so, it seems like a silly tradition that should be re-evaluated before we end up with several hundred Christian churches spread across Iraq & Afcrapistan.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #29

Likes Given: 2

Does anyone know how many people the Catholic Church has killed? Does anyone remember from history class the hundreds of years that the Catholic Church was the single most powerful entity in the world? How about in the past if you ticked off the church the best you could expect was to be excomunicated (and basically be an outcast from society).
Islam is a relatively young religion, and for most of the last several decades one the fastest growing in the world. The sad part is that most non-Muslims only see the radical few and believe that they are the rule rather than the expception.
To the matter at hand, I believe anything less than fully supporting any approved building plan at "Ground Zero" would be an affront to the Constitution and Country I have pledged my life to defend. Do I have to like it? No. But I accept and even encourage it. Something needs to be done. If people haven't been able to get a memorial built in the less time than it takes a mosque, someone was obviously trying harder.
I hate what happened, and though not directly involved, have been around several people who were affected by what happened that day. But to hate an entire culture when we as a country, (with help from several others) have been working tirelessly to bring those responsible to justice is something I can't do or condone.
I am getting off my soapbox, and wont respond any further. I think everything that needs to be said has already been said in this thread.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #30

I'm sorry but you guys have a Barak Husain Obama for president and a Rima Fakih for Miss. So Why am I not shoked of this news?