Morel-mushroom hunting....... - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Morel-mushroom hunting.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2982 Times on 1941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Ive only ate the store bought mushrooms, what do the morel mushrooms taste like compared to the store bought ones?
That's like trying to explain how it feels when you are riding a bike.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #82

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

That's like trying to explain how it feels when you are riding a bike.
Damn, that good then.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #83
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
If you like steak and mushrooms you will like the flavor of these. Indescribable, thinking about these makes my mouth water.

Attachment 44894

Found this wed, about 8-9 inches.
I don't think that anyone has said, but this is the morel.

While one can learn on their own through books and the internet how to ID wild mushrooms it is not advisable as it only takes one mistake to sicken or even kill you. Find someone who is experienced at it and who is also willing to teach you. Micologists are a strange bunch, most will not share their secrets out of fear that you will "steal" their favorite spots. You have the advantage on them though because you have some property to entice them with. Start with a good book, but the most difficult part is actually finding them under the leaf duff in the woods. It takes a lot of experience to be able to recognize the distinctive way that a 'shroom pushes up the leaves and stuff. That is where an experienced micologist will be invaluable.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #84

Liked 132 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I know people that will tell you a big lie about where they go mushroom-hunting before they tell you anything...Alot of people would die before they give-up their favorite spots...It's like pulling teeth to even get them to say anything about where they go....One buddy would get mad when people would ask where he would go,but he had bags of shrooms every year...Zip-lock bags full...I guess you just have to find your own spot...

Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I know people that will tell you a big lie about where they go mushroom-hunting before they tell you anything...Alot of people would die before they give-up their favorite spots...It's like pulling teeth to even get them to say anything about where they go....One buddy would get mad when people would ask where he would go,but he had bags of shrooms every year...Zip-lock bags full...I guess you just have to find your own spot...
There was a shooting near here a few years ago where a property owner confronted some guys hunting mushrooms on his land and they went after the property owner with a knife. The property owner pulled a gun and fired a warning shot, the 'shroomers ran off and the property owner immediately called the cops and reported the incident with descriptions of the guys involved. The 'shroomers called it in later that day and the cops met with them and had a "little talk" about trespassing. The 'shroomers said that they had written permission from the owner of a neighboring property and had gotten lost, they could not produce the note and the neighbor had never given permission (I personally know all of the property owners involved and was told the story by the guy who pulled the gun and corroborated it with the neighbor). Thankfully the property owner was not hassled.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #86

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

There was a shooting near here a few years ago where a property owner confronted some guys hunting mushrooms on his land and they went after the property owner with a knife. The property owner pulled a gun and fired a warning shot, the 'shroomers ran off and the property owner immediately called the cops and reported the incident with descriptions of the guys involved. The 'shroomers called it in later that day and the cops met with them and had a "little talk" about trespassing. The 'shroomers said that they had written permission from the owner of a neighboring property and had gotten lost, they could not produce the note and the neighbor had never given permission (I personally know all of the property owners involved and was told the story by the guy who pulled the gun and corroborated it with the neighbor). Thankfully the property owner was not hassled.
And that's how to use fightin' iron. Who he reads Wiley Clapp's articles?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101

And that's how to use fightin' iron. Who he reads Wiley Clapp's articles?
I'm surprised he wasn't charged with the warning shot. Not that I disagree with it, considering cops and feds used to do it regularly.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I'm surprised he wasn't charged with the warning shot. Not that I disagree with it, considering cops and feds used to do it regularly.
He was on his own land and he was defending himself against a guy who had a knife. Of course he was also familiar with the deputies so that didn't hurt.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

He was on his own land and he was defending himself against a guy who had a knife. Of course he was also familiar with the deputies so that didn't hurt.
That always helps A LOT. They said in ccw class never to fire a warning shot, if you need the gun to USE it. It still came out better nobody got shot. Another one of those times in life you wish there was a camera recording the scene, in this case the idiot with the knife letting a turd go into the fruit of the loom basket

Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #90

Liked 132 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 246

About that time here in St.Louis......
winds-of-change Likes This