Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > More Bear News - But I disagree with outcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default More Bear News - But I disagree with outcome

Orangello is going to love this one.

http://www.king5.com/news/Grizzly-bear-kills-hiker-in-Denali-National-Park-167434325.html

Let me surmise in case you don't want to read the whole story.

58/59 year old guy from San Diego goes to a National Park in Alaska to hike and take pictures, BY HIMSELF.

Dude must apply for a permit, which he did, and then he must go through mandatory training on the rules and procedures to be allowed in the park. He did.

Part of the training is to SPECIFICALLY stay at least 1/4 mile away from any bears at all times. If you find yourself suddenly closer than a quarter of a mile away, you are to walk backwards very slowly.

Duder is wandering along and gets about 50 yards from a bear that is eating and hanging out, doing bear stuff. He then proceeds to film the bear for 8 minutes before the bear decides he has had enough and eats said dude alive.

Park Ranger shot and killed "a bear" that was seen sitting on the guys gear and eating his supplies, but there is no word if that was the bear that actually killed the guy.

I am kind of finding it hard to feel sorry for the guy here and I think the bear got the shaft.

Your thoughts? (*Except for you 'Gello, we know what you will say. )

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I liked the part about the bear getting that hot lead injection, but i don't much miss anybody dumb enough to go paparazzi on a freakin' Grizzly. I can only hope that if the bear that was shot turns out not to be the one that ate the paparazzi, that the real peopl-eater chokes on some of the idiot's bones.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

The bear did nothing more than be a bear. The guy was a moron who unfortunately paid for his stupidity with his life. Hopefully the shot bear was the one that ate the guy and if so, it's best it be put down because once a bear discovers that man is an easy, tasty kill, they will do it again. Bad for both bear and moron in this case.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So why didn't they just tranquilize the bear to check his innards for an idiot. And if he did eat him they could hav sent him to bear jail for a while and wait for his court date or something...

Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I liked the part about the bear getting that hot lead injection, but i don't much miss anybody dumb enough to go paparazzi on a freakin' Grizzly. I can only hope that if the bear that was shot turns out not to be the one that ate the paparazzi, that the real peopl-eater chokes on some of the idiot's bones.
I do love a good 'Gello post in the middle of my day. I wasn't expecting to choke on my sandwich in the process of reading it, but those are the hazards when you click the link.

Orangello doesn't like bears. He doesn't go where there are bears. If he finds himself in proximately of a bear, he will most likely make a suicide charge, or exit stage right. This is reasonable.

Standing there for 8 minutes filming as the bear turns around, walks over to your happy ass and bitch slaps onto the dinner plate is just plain stupid.

Then again he was from Kalifornia and he was hiking alone. But I digress...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

At least "Meatball" is no longer wandering freely: http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-la-crescenta-black-bear-back,0,5028301.story?hpt=us_bn10 A bullet would've been cheaper, the first time he trespassed.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
"It's actually kind of like the Club Med for bears," Craig said.
Okay, time for a fund raiser!! Who wants to chip in to help send Orangello on a trip to Club Med?!?!?!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, time for a fund raiser!! Who wants to chip in to help send Orangello on a trip to Club Med?!?!?!
Now, where is my chainsaw.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Now, where is my chainsaw.
Here you go. Don't forget the AK though.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

He should of had a rifle like mine 45/70 and he would be alive today!.