Monster Energy must think their customers are stupid!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Monster Energy must think their customers are stupid!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Monster Energy must think their customers are stupid!

Morrisville, VT - October 9, 2009

A rose by any other name might smell as sweet but does a beer by another name taste as good? Beer drinkers could soon find out as Rock Art Brewery might have to change the name of its Vermonster brew.

Owners Matt and Renee Nadeau were in shock when they received a letter three weeks ago from a lawyer representing Hansen Beverage Company, the makers of Monster energy drink.

The "cease and desist" letter demands Rock Art stop selling its Vermonster beer, drop its effort to get a federal trademark for the name, and pay Hansen's lawyer fees. The letter says Monster has worked hard to establish its brand and Rock Arts use of the name Vermonster "will undoubtedly create a likelihood of confusion and/or dilute the distinctive quality of Hansen's Monster marks."

Rock Art consulted several lawyers who all agree the microbrewery would win the legal battle over the name. The problem is the legal fees start at $65,000. It is money Rock Art does not have. The lawyers have advised the Nadeaus to think about what they stand to lose if they go to court against a company reportedly pulling in $600 million dollars a year.

"When I pledged allegiance to this country as a kid in gradeschool I don't remember the end of it saying "and justice for all who have the deepest pockets,'" says Matt Nadeau. "You got five people saying I'm right, I don't think it should be coming to the point where they take everything."

Rock Art is already getting support from other Vermont companies. The owners of the Beverage Warehouse in Winooski have decided to pull all Monster products from their shelves, even though it is their number one seller in energy drinks.

"We've known Matt and Renee for quite some time, they've been a great small local Vermont company and even though it's going to cost us money not to sell Monster we've got to support our local small business owners," says George Bergin, co-owner of the Warehouse.

The boycott is quickly expanding. As of Friday afternoon Pearl Street Beverage in Burlington removed all Monster products, including drink coolers, from its store. A handful of other businesses were considering doing the same after getting calls from The Beverage Warehouse.

"It helps a lot yeah, it's nice to get that kind of support," says Nadeau.

Nadeau called the lawyer representing Hansen Beverage Company and asked what the conflict was, since Rock Art is not in the energy drink business. The lawyer allegedly told Nadeau Hansen wants to get into the beer business.

Nadeau responded with "Well too bad, I'm already here!"

Nadeau says he now knows what the biblical David felt like as he faces his own Monster of a giant. He sent a response letter offering to stay out of the energy drink business if Hansen drops its pursuit of his Vermonster beer. He is now waiting for their response.

Bianca Slota - WCAX News

What a bunch of b/s. Monster Energy was sued by Monster cable a while ago, so I guess they figure that's a good way to do business. I've never been a customer of Monster and I probably never will.

Rock Art's website: WELCOME

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Never again will I buy a monster energy drink.

I will be forced to buy full throttle from now on.

I want a case of vermonster beer as well.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Greedy a$$holes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

My wife enjoys a Monster Assault or Kaos to prepare for a friday night cheering session. I guess I will have to pick up something else now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I knew no good could come of it when i started seeing energy drink/beer combos.
Weak! Redbull & Vodka FTW!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Monster does not want to get in the Beer business they are already Top Dog in it.

Anheuser-Busch Companies

Monster is owned by Anheuser Bush. So for you Bud drinkers out there, I ask you consider Miller or Coors next time you make a purchase. Or if you want to drink a more expensive fuller tasting real beer, there are plenty of us on this board who can offer some alternatives that are not made by AB or Inbev.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Yet another good reason to not support monster. I can't stand Bud.

MICRO BREWS RULE!!!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I knew no good could come of it when i started seeing energy drink/beer combos.
Weak! Redbull & Vodka FTW!
Quoted for Truth!!

You ever tried "Zyr" Orangello?? Great vodka taste and not overly priced as some....

Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

That Monster Java is SO GOOD. Have to drink it

Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You ever tried "Zyr" Orangello?? Great vodka taste and not overly priced as some....
I haven't seen that one yet. MS is a bit slow to aprove & distribute new liquors, sometimes. I'm generally a Smirnoff guy, but i like a little Vox now & then. Funny enough, cranberry juice literally gags me without vodka to cut the bite.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.