Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2092 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 6245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yanno, Google is justifying their autonomous (driverless) cars by pointing out that 99% of all auto accidents are caused by human error.

Well, no sh!t Sherlock! There are maybe a handful of autonomous cars on the road so the accidents caused by them don't freaking show up on the statistics at all!!!!
Damm, you saw right through them statistics.

What bothered me was a study that showed, 80 percent of accidents were caused by licensed drivers. Since only 20% of the accidents were unlicensed drivers. Since most of the accidents were caused by licensed drivers, the obvious solution would be to limit driving my licensed drivers.

Here is a CA sudy http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/profile/rd/resnotes/unlicensed.htm

Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #12

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2092 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 6245

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea?

Your thoughts.
Seriously tho ... I came up with a much better idea. I stopped drinking about 20 years ago. This works for me.
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i agree, it is a little kind of crazy, but nonetheless, still a decent idea. the only problem i see is people actually using it. if people would utilize it, and act responsible, it does have potential to keep an intoxicated driver off the road.
Yeah, like Trip with his kid in the company truck?

Its been a few years since I have been in a bar, but I don't think that the number of responsible patrons has increased by any measurable amount.

What you need to do is make a bar game out of it. Make it into a slot machine or something. The drunk puts his keys in the slot and blows on the breathalyzer. If he blows drunk the keys disappear and a cab is called. If he blows sober then he gets a buck or something. Drunks love bar games, don't they?
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #14
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2653 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 14680

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Won't stop them from getting drunk at home and driving. What we really need is a real test to get a drivers license in the first place. Like a friend of mine once said 30% of all fatal accidents are caused by drunk drivers, that means 70% of them are caused by sober drivers.
Unfortunatly, that is all too true. If others at a New Years Eve party had been better at taking keys from drunks, or disabling vehicles, I wouldn't set off metal detectors at airports and courthouses. The private parties and beer runns are an area where the individual must learn to make the responsible choice. That is something I know all too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Used to have a friend that used logic like that. Believed he should carry a bomb with him when flying- since there was never a known case of a plane having TWO bombs aboard at the same time.

The folks down at the home tell me he is much happier now since he learned how to crochet potholders.
LMAO! That is why I asked if it was a crazy idea. Just think, if I'm putting something that crazy on the board, what do I keep to myself? It's pretty scary inside my head, trust me, I'm stuck in there with no chance of escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Seriously tho ... I came up with a much better idea. I stopped drinking about 20 years ago. This works for me.
I agree with you KG7IL. I didn't quit, but I only drink at home and I never drive when I do. If I have to go somewhere, I phone a friend or get a family member to take me there. Much safer that way, not to mention cheaper!

Quote:
Yeah, like Trip with his kid in the company truck?

Its been a few years since I have been in a bar, but I don't think that the number of responsible patrons has increased by any measurable amount.

What you need to do is make a bar game out of it. Make it into a slot machine or something. The drunk puts his keys in the slot and blows on the breathalyzer. If he blows drunk the keys disappear and a cab is called. If he blows sober then he gets a buck or something. Drunks love bar games, don't they?
I like the way you think Viking! That was actually why those Quarter opperated breathalizers were taken out of the bars. College kids and adults were trying for the high score.Had one friend, back in my pub crawling days, that blew a .39. I'm amazed that he wasn't dead (.36 is pushing fatal), and that he has lived long enough to be married with 3 kids. Needless to say, we called his dad to come get us that night. Our DD left us at the bar to go home with someone he picked up, and we didn't hear from him for 2 days. He must have had one he!! of a good time!

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Unfortunatly, that is all too true. If others at a New Years Eve party had been better at taking keys from drunks, or disabling vehicles, I wouldn't set off metal detectors at airports and courthouses. The private parties and beer runns are an area where the individual must learn to make the responsible choice. That is something I know all too well.

LMAO! That is why I asked if it was a crazy idea. Just think, if I'm putting something that crazy on the board, what do I keep to myself? It's pretty scary inside my head, trust me, I'm stuck in there with no chance of escape!

I agree with you KG7IL. I didn't quit, but I only drink at home and I never drive when I do. If I have to go somewhere, I phone a friend or get a family member to take me there. Much safer that way, not to mention cheaper!

I like the way you think Viking! That was actually why those Quarter opperated breathalizers were taken out of the bars. College kids and adults were trying for the high score.Had one friend, back in my pub crawling days, that blew a .39. I'm amazed that he wasn't dead (.36 is pushing fatal), and that he has lived long enough to be married with 3 kids. Needless to say, we called his dad to come get us that night. Our DD left us at the bar to go home with someone he picked up, and we didn't hear from him for 2 days. He must have had one he!! of a good time!
Yup. Make a game out of it and the drunks will love it! On an unrelated note I see where they put up those radar speed signs near schools, some people try and get a high score on those too I bet.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2653 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 14680

Quote:
Yup. Make a game out of it and the drunks will love it! On an unrelated note I see where they put up those radar speed signs near schools, some people try and get a high score on those too I bet.
I still have the local record.
The Club House

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8913 Times on 5331 Posts
Likes Given: 11916

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Won't stop them from getting drunk at home and driving. What we really need is a real test to get a drivers license in the first place. Like a friend of mine once said 30% of all fatal accidents are caused by drunk drivers, that means 70% of them are caused by sober drivers.
Exactly that. You just can't regulate "good sense".

Quote:
Yanno, Google is justifying their autonomous (driverless) cars by pointing out that 99% of all auto accidents are caused by human error.

Well, no sh!t Sherlock! There are maybe a handful of autonomous cars on the road so the accidents caused by them don't freaking show up on the statistics at all!!!!
Human error vs. mechanical error........breaks failing, power steering going ouit, etc. But almost all of those can be controlled by maintaining and knowing one's car.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i agree, it is a little kind of crazy, but nonetheless, still a decent idea. the only problem i see is people actually using it. if people would utilize it, and act responsible, it does have potential to keep an intoxicated driver off the road.
See, if people were responsible enough to use it, they'd be responsible enough not to DUI in the first place and wouldn't need it.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #19

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I used to work in a transmission shop that had a vending machine for beer. At 5 pm on weekdays and at noon on Saturdays we were free to pop the top, even if working overtime. A few customers complained. The shop owner told them they could wait another day or live with it. He had very good employee moral and low employee turnover. I hated to leave that shop.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
I was watching the news the other night, and they had a peice on wine vending machines. The machine takes your I.D., a person at a computer on the other end verifies via a camera that it is you. Then you insert your money or credit card, and make your selection.

Now, many of us on here probably remember the breathalizer coin op machines that were in a lot of the bars during the 80s and 90s. I wonder if the two devices could be modified and made into a key check machine for bars, and if it would have any affect on the number of DWIs in areas with a lot of bars. I live 15 minutes from a college town, and 1\2 mile from a major party resort during the summer, needless to say DWIs are a major problem where I live. Having lost 5 people that I was close to in the last 20 years due to this, and almost dieing in an accident caused by a drunk driver when I was in high school, This is an issue that hits close to home.

A couple years back, NY State change the legalyy intoxicated BAC to .08, and last August they put a law in place that requires anyone convicted of DWI to install an ignition interlock on any car they will be driving. To me, that equates to locking the barn door after your horses escape. It just dosen't make sense.

Your thoughts.
I agree with your goal, but I don't think your solution would work. Too many people do their drinking outside of bars. College keg parties, the office Christmas party, cocktail parties in the home, and weekend binge drinkers to name a few. One common method of abuse down here is to buy a case or three of beer, go boating or to the beach, get drunk and then drive home. Sunday afternoons can get very interesting to say the least.