Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7926

Default Moment of inspiration, or crackpot idea?

I was watching the news the other night, and they had a peice on wine vending machines. The machine takes your I.D., a person at a computer on the other end verifies via a camera that it is you. Then you insert your money or credit card, and make your selection.

Now, many of us on here probably remember the breathalizer coin op machines that were in a lot of the bars during the 80s and 90s. I wonder if the two devices could be modified and made into a key check machine for bars, and if it would have any affect on the number of DWIs in areas with a lot of bars. I live 15 minutes from a college town, and 1\2 mile from a major party resort during the summer, needless to say DWIs are a major problem where I live. Having lost 5 people that I was close to in the last 20 years due to this, and almost dieing in an accident caused by a drunk driver when I was in high school, This is an issue that hits close to home.

A couple years back, NY State change the legalyy intoxicated BAC to .08, and last August they put a law in place that requires anyone convicted of DWI to install an ignition interlock on any car they will be driving. To me, that equates to locking the barn door after your horses escape. It just dosen't make sense.

Your thoughts.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1690 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
. . . . .A couple years back, NY State change the legalyy intoxicated BAC to .08, and last August they put a law in place that requires anyone convicted of DWI to install an ignition interlock on any car they will be driving. To me, that equates to locking the barn door after your horses escape. . . . etc.
Wouldn't an interlock inhibit repeat offenses? What would you suggest?

Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Wouldn't an interlock inhibit repeat offenses? What would you suggest?
Possibly preventing first offenses. If a machine could be made that a person could put their keys in voluntarily, they would get a check card (similar to checking a coat at an upscale establishment, just with a machine instead of a person) after their I.D. is entered into the machine, their picture could be taken, and either a person in a central office, or facial recognition software could be used to verify that they are the person on the I.D. When they are ready to leave the bar, the steps to get their keys back would go as follows.

1 Insert check card.
2 Insert I.D.
3 Insert sraw, and take breath test.
4 If good to go, your keys and documents are returned to you, and you are on your way. Return check card to its receptice and head on out. If you are at or above the threshold of DWAI or DWI, the machine will return the key check card and your I.D., and tell you to get a ride home (cab, bus, sober friend, etc.). Then the person could come back the next day and get their keys and vehicle when they are legaly able to drive. Thus preventing a DWI related accident in the first place.

All that the current laws do is punish after the fact, they really don't prevent DWIs as effectivly as they could. Like I said, not a mandatory thing, but an option of prevention.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8684 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

First, try getting a liquor license for the machine. Give us time to pop some corn- we wanna watch this!

In 1970, had a beer vending machine in my mess hall. At that time, drinking age was 18. Machine only "open" during the evening meal. Not a problem, and after the novelty wore off (about 2 weeks) usage dropped off a lot. If 4 of the troops were playing poker in the barracks during the evening and wanted a beer, go get one. Reduced DUIs (going to the PX to get more beer)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8095 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 10452

It might just work. It is a little crackpot, but it might work.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 2385 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

Won't stop them from getting drunk at home and driving. What we really need is a real test to get a drivers license in the first place. Like a friend of mine once said 30% of all fatal accidents are caused by drunk drivers, that means 70% of them are caused by sober drivers.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1731 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, try getting a liquor license for the machine. Give us time to pop some corn- we wanna watch this!
NO SILLY.... he isn't talking about vending alcohol. He is talking about an electronic hat check for your keys and license.

Great idea if voluntary for the pub and patrons.

I really don't want ANY MORE LAWS. I want less laws that are more clear.

I always liked "Thou Shalt Not Murder"

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Last edited by KG7IL; 11-18-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: corrected more of my speeling errars.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8095 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 10452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Won't stop them from getting drunk at home and driving. What we really need is a real test to get a drivers license in the first place. Like a friend of mine once said 30% of all fatal accidents are caused by drunk drivers, that means 70% of them are caused by sober drivers.
Yanno, Google is justifying their autonomous (driverless) cars by pointing out that 99% of all auto accidents are caused by human error.

Well, no sh!t Sherlock! There are maybe a handful of autonomous cars on the road so the accidents caused by them don't freaking show up on the statistics at all!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8684 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

Used to have a friend that used logic like that. Believed he should carry a bomb with him when flying- since there was never a known case of a plane having TWO bombs aboard at the same time.

The folks down at the home tell me he is much happier now since he learned how to crochet potholders.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21191 Times on 12039 Posts
Likes Given: 52911

i agree, it is a little kind of crazy, but nonetheless, still a decent idea. the only problem i see is people actually using it. if people would utilize it, and act responsible, it does have potential to keep an intoxicated driver off the road.