Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mom Broke Her Hip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
^LOL I heard that VikingDad. Same occured to me many years ago My good friends mom was hospitalized. I told nurse I was a son also. She looked at my tall and caucasion comparing to my Japanese family. I told the nurse I was the product of the milk deliveryman.
Have you seen that episode of M*A*S*H where they get the general to allow his son into the O-Club because he is family, then Hawkeye proceeds to let everyone else in the camp in as "family" too, introducing them all as he goes? One of them is "My brother, Leroy." who is black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Vikingdad,

I have saying a prayer for your mom the last several days knowing how this issue can be for older folks. Glad she is doing well and beginning to heal. Best to you and it is always a hard time when a parent has to live with one child or another. And worse when a terrible decision has to be made when they can no longer live with the family. We went through that last year. Since Dad is no longer mobile at all and is dead weight. Good news he is still sharp as a tack. But happy with his new room arrangements, likes the nurses and they like him. We sure need enjoy them while we have them. Thanks to you for being there when she needs you!

Thank you for the prayers. She is holding her own, but not really improving much. I am hoping to get her in a wheelchair at least so I can roll her around the floor for awhile. Its better than staying in bed. She is napping right now- has been since I walked in a half hour ago.

If circumstances allow it I would have her stay at home for the rest of her life. I have taken care of my in-laws in their last days so I figure I could handle most anything (administering drugs, changing bedding, bathing, etc.) that a skilled nursing facility does. I don't think my brother would do that though given what he has said to date. I hope I am wrong about that though.

Just stepped away from the keyboard because mom woke up. She is actually doing better! She is eating pretty well so her appetite is returning, and she complained about the food so that is a sign she is ready to get out of here . My brother came by with his daughter for a bit. Funny thing, just seconds after they left she saw my shirt and asked what it said, then tried to read it as follows

"F*CK,
All Gave Some,
Some Gave All"
The first 'word' is actually "FDNY". LOL!!!!

Then she laughed and said "Good thing (brother) isn't here!" (my brother is is a hard core Bible thumper and takes great offense to any strong language- not that here is anything wrong with that- but he would have been shocked to hear that out of mom!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
When I worked the floor, I was glad to have a patient's family & friend present. More eye's on the post-op patient the better as far as I was concerned. If they came to me and complained the patient didn't get their toast or that it was cold or something, it tells me the patient is during just fine. If they helped them to the bathroom, that was nice too. If the patient started to feel nauseous or turn purple or something, they could find me & tell me and I could do something about it myself, or get on the horn, before it became a real emergency. I think you'll find in most hospitals the 'Visiting Hours' are there just to be able to kick people out who are no help whatsoever and a real PITA.
I have always tried to visit people in the hospital. I explained to my son the other day when he said he doesn't like hospitals that "I don't either, being in a hospital sucks. But it sucks way more for the person who is there as a patient. If I can stand it enough to make their stay a tiny bit less sucky, then its the least I can do."

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Ugh, sorry. Sounds a lot like my brother. I'm always the one to handle things like that.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #33

Found out yesterday when moving her to skilled nursing that my brother has visited less that I have, and stayed for only a couple of minutes when he does. He literally lives 5 minutes away, and he is a doctor who has to do rounds at the hospital. Can't stop in and see mom more often?

I live a good 30 minute drive away, given good traffic conditions. One night it took me almost two hours to get there.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Found out yesterday when moving her to skilled nursing that my brother has visited less that I have, and stayed for only a couple of minutes when he does. He literally lives 5 minutes away, and he is a doctor who has to do rounds at the hospital. Can't stop in and see mom more often?

I live a good 30 minute drive away, given good traffic conditions. One night it took me almost two hours to get there.
He's making you look good by comparison at least.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
He's making you look good by comparison at least.
I guess so. I would prefer that he would just visit more often. Then again this is a guy who emails her from downstairs to communicate rather than walk upstairs and visit with her.

Quote:

Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your mum but you should know that the femoral neck and an Intertrochanteric region fracture are very easily broke after the age of 60. The older they get the more likely they are to break and a person doesn't even have to fall to have either break. If she's in generally good health, she should heal up just fine.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #37

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Ah man, you have my deepest condolences & I really feel for you, having gone through too many similar situations with my own brother.

ONE time I asked him to take her for an outpatient surgery that was a minor repair during her bout with Breast Cancer. He was late getting her there, rude to the nurses (who are so fantastic), and then couldn't be reached for over an hour afterward to pick her up.

It's like, you SHOULD have that person to help out, and take some of the burden off of you, but instead they just add to it. It's quite frankly just sucks & I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

I wish your Mom the very best, though, and will keep her in my thoughts & prayers. Patience & a positive attitude are most often some of the most important parts of any recovery, and I've seen my Mom go through more than her fair share. And despite your Brother's lacking, you are a remarkably good person to be with her as much as you can. Truly, you're both in my thoughts & prayers.