Mom Broke Her Hip

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mom Broke Her Hip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Default Mom Broke Her Hip

Just got a call from my brother (whom our mom lives with). Mom fell and broke her hip. I am furious because it happened when she was trying to close a messed up door to her deck that she and I have been after him to fix since before she moved in with them last April. Words fail me.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Id be pissed too. I hope she gets well soon.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hope she is comfortable and heals quickly.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I hope she is comfortable and heals quickly.
He says she is comfortable as long as she doesn't move much. They are at the hospital and getting her checked into a room. I will go over tomorrow morning to see her. Given this is Good Friday, and Easter Sunday is coming up, I don't know when they can do anything. My brother is a doctor though and that has some advantages. I hope the orthopedic surgeon is one of his patients. I might be pissed at him but I won't pass up the advantages.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
racer_x Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 952 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wait a little bit before you blame your brother, I don't know your situation for sure but when this happened to my grandma we found out that in a lot of these situations the hip broke CAUSING the fall not the other way around.Elderly bones can be very brittle.

Just saying it might not be the time to start a family feud.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Wait a little bit before you blame your brother, I don't know your situation for sure but when this happened to my grandma we found out that in a lot of these situations the hip broke CAUSING the fall not the other way around.Elderly bones can be very brittle.

Just saying it might not be the time to start a family feud.
I'm not going there with him at all. That's why I bring it up here. And it was the door that caused the fall, he even said so. It is one of those double-door sets that was installed incorrectly before they bought the house. In preparation for moving mom in I kept insisting that they fix the door or replace it as required. One of the problems is that the door handle on the primary door does not fasten to the axle properly, so it slips off sometimes. Combine this with the fact that the door is not properly hung so you have to pull the handle to slam it shut or it won't latch, and the damned handle falls off in your hand. That is what happened to her and she fell as a result.

The other issue (though not a contributing factor in any way) is that you cannot lock this door. It is a door to the deck, which has access to the ground floor. Anybody can just walk into the house. And they have 4 kids 17 and under, one of whom is a beautiful young girl. I cannot for the life of me understand how they can ignore a door that does not lock.

Quote:
racer_x Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7145 Times on 4301 Posts
Likes Given: 8676

I am so sorry to hear this, Vikingdad. Even though it's Easter weekend, if she needs surgery, they'll do it. I'll bet she'll get a whole brand new hip.

She lives near you, right?

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I am so sorry to hear this, Vikingdad. Even though it's Easter weekend, if she needs surgery, they'll do it. I'll bet she'll get a whole brand new hip.

She lives near you, right?
Thanks Winds. I did hear back from my brother a little while ago, she is scheduled for surgery tomorrow at around 10:00 AM for a hip replacement. I did talk to her a bit too. I am going over in the AM (have to get to bed soon) to see her. It is about a 25 minute drive.

Heck, look at the time! I am off to bed.

Quote:

Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #9

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Hope your mom makes a fast and full recovery. Might be time to get together with your brother and address the things your mom needs or wants.

Sounds like you might need to help your brother fix some things around his house.

You got to do what you got to do in order to take care of your mom.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Hope your mom makes a fast and full recovery. Might be time to get together with your brother and address the things your mom needs or wants.

Sounds like you might need to help your brother fix some things around his house.

You got to do what you got to do in order to take care of your mom.
Yeah, we do that regularly with our sister. Just did it on Monday night and I brought up the door issue yet again. He blew me off saying it is "not that big of an issue". Yet again.

I have fixed a bunch of things up around the house for her, installed a kitchenette, got a small fridge for her, set up her microwave, arranged for and supervised getting a stairlift so that she could get upstairs as she is no longer able to climb stairs safely. I was working on getting her deck set up with some plants as it was barren of anything other than the two chairs and small table I shopped for with her (A month or so ago they were brought downstairs for a party- that mom was not invited to attend- and left down there for two weeks despite mom asking that they be brought back up to "her" deck, during which the dog chewed the table up). I have planted a couple of very low-maintenence potted plants, but on Monday during our "discussion" I was told that I was not to "intrude" as much. The plants are "too much work", even though I am maintaining them myself and there is an automated watering system in place to take care of that aspect. So, other than the fig tree I planted and the potted pine that they bought for her for Christmas (and is dying because of the abuse it has endured) the deck is pretty barren, just take a look at the picture below. The two pots with the lavender have been moved downstairs.

Just went to visit her in the hospital. She will be going in to surgery around 1:00 this afternoon. She wanted to sleep so I am getting some food- not at the hospital.

dscn0663.jpg  

Quote: