Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mods You Have Encountered??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Mods You Have Encountered??

So, I read a comment in another thread about some mods at another forum being less than ideal.

Now, this is the only forum I belong too, and I was only a member of one other forum before coming here, but I did read Sherdog for MMA news from time to time. The Sherdog Mods all had chips on their shoulders and would ban someone just for an off hand comment, but that site has been a train wreck for some time now.

We, as the mods, keep hearing that other sites are more heavy handed and that we "let things slide here that get you banned elsewhere".

Now, I don't think we need to tighten the rules any. With the exception of Tigger clad poster, most of you understand what goes and what does not at FTF .

But, from other forum experience, what is not allowed at other sites that got you banned or got someone you know banned?

I am honestly just curious. I don't have the time for other gun forums to find out for myself.

Thanks in advance -

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've never hung around any other gun forums, but I used to spend tons of time on the world's largest manufacturing forum. The membership is near 1m and many mods. I was a substitute mod there for a couple of years. Even there, banning came pretty easy. One conflict with another member (happens daily) and a warning was issued. Any arguement with the warning and/or the next flame, GONE! Apologies are expected with any warning and taken seriously. They do have a gunsmithing forum and most new posters there were trolls. They have a politics section full of union employees and only in that thread were heated arguements allowed to go on for a while.

Now, what I saw there made me realize that if any member got on the bad side of a mod, then their time there was very limited. So, if anyone disagreed strongly with a mod on how to say cut a piece of metal, it would not be long before that member was baited into banning.

I enjoy this forum for allowing people to be who they are. Not eveyone has to act the same, think the same or post the same. Real people (for the most part) and honest answers and opinions.

I think the mods here do a better job than I've experienced elsewhere and that is a huge part of what makes this the best forum on the webz, bar none. Maybe that is why the membership here is awesome and diverse.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

ive been on a few non gun forums but ths one is pleasent and often funny. people dont bash folks but poking fun at some silliness is ok.

i think a well run forum keeps posts in the right topic and doesnt let idiocy run wild. i was part of a boating forum and got a bit of knowledge on tracker boats mods there would post liberal political viewpoints in threads on boat repair or boat issues i got banned for putting forth similar views but conservative pov. i thought i was ok since a mod was doing it. got a warning then another when i pointed out the hypocracy. then banned.

a well run forum you dont notice who the moderators are.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

I belong to a couple other forums. One is mostly women and the cliques are very obvious. The mods were chosen by who liked who best. Another is a gun forum that is quite large and there is a lot of bad talking and bashing there. Well, not a lot but more than I am willing to take when I ask a newbie question.

This forum works on so many different levels. The people here seem sincere and helpful and there is a camaraderie here that I have never experienced anywhere else. I have thought about why that is and I can only conclude that it is Notdku and the mods who run this place. Our mods seem to know what to let go and what to squelch. I guess I can't really pinpoint it but this forum is a cut above any other forum I've joined. After just reading a whole bunch of posts by the now banned "GunLady" I think the difference is that this forum is mostly men and the women that are on here are not prissy girly girls but women who are confident and know how to stand up for themselves.

I am really enjoying my stay here. I am learning a lot and having a blast while learning.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a good post Winds. Notdku provides a great forum for us and it's also true that the mods are discerning and pretty laid back. However, the Members are what make FTF a great forum. We have members who are good people, quality people and they make this place what it is.

The membership makes this a pretty easy place to moderate.

I was a mod on another firearms forum and it got to the point where I hated to go there. I completely lost my enjoyment of the place. This place is the polar opposite.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 01-02-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
That's a good post Winds. Notdku provides a great forum for us and it's also true that the mods are discerning and pretty laid back. However, the Members are what make FTF a great forum. We have members who are good people, quality people and they make this place what it is.
No doubt there, we have THE most generous and caring members of all the people I have actually met in real life.

I was merely wondering what goes on at other sites that brought you here, or what goes on elsewhere that could be utilized here. That sort of thing. I honestly don't have much first hand experience outside of this forum with mods, so I was curious.

I have read accounts that mentioning zombies will get threads closed and even people banned on some boards. I have heard of people getting warnings for saying clip instead of magazine or asking a question that is going to lead to a running battle like AK vs. AR?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I like Bayonets and lasers and the occasional flashlight as my main Mods.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Moderators? We got MODERATORS? When did THIS happen?

Well, I hang around a couple. Spammers get whacked on all. One site has an autocensor that changes certain words- but is is a simple little idiot, and cannot tell difference between a derogatory term, and letters included inside valid words.

One is a forum on an auction site. Any question or complaint that is auction related gets immediate lock. Mods there DO have their favorites.

I mod on a Q&A type site. We can delete a question, delete an answer, and warn or block posters for several reasons. Most common? Spam, profanity, cyberbullying (name calling) nonsense answers, vandalizing a good answer. A lot of posters there are early teens, somewhat like babysitting. Did have problem with one grownup that wanted to insist ANY .22 revolver was worth $1,000. Generally, we can send warning to poster that what you are doing violates rules, but the guy that just posted 30 obscene answers gets blocked-period. They have software that, if using a cable modem, with track just about to the HOUSE. So don't bother trying to change your screen name.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I have been on some military forums but this my first firearm forum. If I can add to the discussion, I will, but I'm not here to stir up anything.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 01-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, I read a comment in another thread about some mods at another forum being less than ideal.

Now, this is the only forum I belong too, and I was only a member of one other forum before coming here, but I did read Sherdog for MMA news from time to time. The Sherdog Mods all had chips on their shoulders and would ban someone just for an off hand comment, but that site has been a train wreck for some time now.

We, as the mods, keep hearing that other sites are more heavy handed and that we "let things slide here that get you banned elsewhere".

Now, I don't think we need to tighten the rules any. With the exception of Tigger clad poster, most of you understand what goes and what does not at FTF .

But, from other forum experience, what is not allowed at other sites that got you banned or got someone you know banned?

I am honestly just curious. I don't have the time for other gun forums to find out for myself.

Thanks in advance -

JD

I have been permanently banned and banned (temporarily) at this& other sites. I have also been so angered by a few mods that I have just never returned to a few (or more) sites. My once favorite site permanently banned me apparently for my dislike towards authority & my lack of shyness to discuss the topic. I have had several times offered the same exact make & model gun only in a New configuration for too much less money while smearing the other guy's more expensive POS. One day I went to a local Open Carry function. I met fifty or so people there and most of them frequented the same forums I did & had read my postings- while most seemed to agree, I realized that sometimes I might be a lil' too forceful with my opinion...