Mobile devices and pet peeve - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mobile devices and pet peeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #71
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
I was talking about both. I thought you said if it was important, make a call. Which, if you are driving may depending on the voice recognition you use, require you to take your eyes off the road.

I just hate the 'we need more laws to make us more safe' mentality. Do you really feel a lot safer when the gubment is taking care of you?

Now this popped into my mind. Why not make reckless driving that causes a wreck similar to DUI? If it can be proven they were on the phone, or texting, and caused a wreck hit them with that. Impaired is impaired, no matter what it is. Cell phones leave a record, and the Breathalyzer reads the 'bar tab'.

But leave the people who don't crash their cars alone. Interesting to me, but again, I want less laws, and the ones we have enforced.
Voice recognition technology sucks balls in my experience. I have a very audible (some would say loud), clear baritone voice and none of the VOX devices I have used to date can reliably interpret what I say much of the time.

I have said "Call Home" and the VOX will ask "Did you say call Doug Studebaker?"

And I freaking haven't called Doug in well over a year and a half! WTF?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post

I thought channel 9 was the police channel?
And you're not kiddin about the causeway being a boring ride.
Ch 9 is supposed to be an emergency channel but nobody follows the rules of CB radio usage anymore. Profanity isnt supposed to be used on the CB radio either but it is. Also, transmissions are supposed to be short but I constantly hear people rambling for minutes on end. In Louisville, Ky there are several people who hog Ch 19, one guy plays a recording on a loop about some guy he believes is a child molester, he even gives out his address and number. Whether he is or not I dont know. Another person plays with a noise maker on the air, machine gun, alien ray gun and falling bombs is all you hear. It makes it very difficult to warn other drivers of speed traps, accidents and construction. Thats my mobile devices pet peeve.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #73

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Maybe if you call Doug, while not driving, he can help solve this?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #74

Quote:
Maybe if you call Doug, while not driving, he can help solve this?
LOL! Not likely. Doug is a Luddite. I was referring to what I understand is a common complaint with autocorrect, which will default to a word that the phone user will frequently use (often to the user's embarrassment), but that can't be it because I have only called Doug a couple of times on my cell phone. I am also wondering why the Hell the Vox ID can't tell a one syllable word with two words totaling 5 syllables. Seriously? WTF?

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Ch 9 is supposed to be an emergency channel but nobody follows the rules of CB radio usage anymore. Profanity isnt supposed to be used on the CB radio either but it is. Also, transmissions are supposed to be short but I constantly hear people rambling for minutes on end. In Louisville, Ky there are several people who hog Ch 19, one guy plays a recording on a loop about some guy he believes is a child molester, he even gives out his address and number. Whether he is or not I dont know. Another person plays with a noise maker on the air, machine gun, alien ray gun and falling bombs is all you hear. It makes it very difficult to warn other drivers of speed traps, accidents and construction. Thats my mobile devices pet peeve.
CB sucks. No two ways about it. Many truckers and other long haul drivers now use Ham radio. It still works as intended. People who misuse it are not tolerated, and if they do so often they can be hunted down and punished.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #76
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Voice recognition technology sucks balls in my experience. I have a very audible (some would say loud), clear baritone voice and none of the VOX devices I have used to date can reliably interpret what I say much of the time.

I have said "Call Home" and the VOX will ask "Did you say call Doug Studebaker?"

Viking, with That Voice have you ever considered radio??

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #77
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

CB sucks. No two ways about it. Many truckers and other long haul drivers now use Ham radio. It still works as intended. People who misuse it are not tolerated, and if they do so often they can be hunted down and punished.
I think i stopped Using CB radio on the Road In the mid-90's....and As a Kid in the 70's i had close to 3K in CB & Ham Gear....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Viking, with That Voice have you ever considered radio??
I have been trying to break into radio for a couple of years now. No luck so far. Have you heard me? I posted a couple of videos here somewhere where you can hear my voice.

Quote:

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
I was talking about both. I thought you said if it was important, make a call. Which, if you are driving may depending on the voice recognition you use, require you to take your eyes off the road.

I just hate the 'we need more laws to make us more safe' mentality. Do you really feel a lot safer when the gubment is taking care of you?

Now this popped into my mind. Why not make reckless driving that causes a wreck similar to DUI? If it can be proven they were on the phone, or texting, and caused a wreck hit them with that. Impaired is impaired, no matter what it is. Cell phones leave a record, and the Breathalyzer reads the 'bar tab'.

But leave the people who don't crash their cars alone. Interesting to me, but again, I want less laws, and the ones we have enforced.
I hate the make more laws to make us safe mentality, too. You just can't legislate the stupid out of some people. However, if there are more laws to cover situations like this you can dig a deeper hole in their pocket after the fact.

If some Bozo is riding down the road texting and has a crash you can tack on the texting while driving along with whatever other stupidity he is guilty of. Next thing you know his insurance is looking at the claim and deciding to either raise his rates or cancel his policy. It also adds points to his license, which may or may not lead to a suspension when the charges are added up.

Now, back to the GPS lockout. From a technology standpoint it wouldn't be hard to implement. A similar technology already exists on my car navigation system. As soon as the car starts moving the nav system locks out a lot of the features. My thought is that it would be easier to make the cell phone company implement this than it would be to risk a LEO's azz on the side of the road every time he sees texting while driving.