Mobile devices and pet peeve - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mobile devices and pet peeve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #61
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, cell phones are very much like alcohol. neither should be regulated as to when someone can use them or able to track it's usage, and people abuse both because they lack common sense. but there are many who use them responsiblily and know how to use some common sense. a person that consumes alcohol with a responsible attitude will have a designated driver if in public and consumes more than the legal limit or they will stay at home or wherever and not get behind the wheel of a vehicle. using a cell phone when driving is not any different IMO. what about getting a hands-free device or Bluetooth device? what about pulling over on the side of the road if you need to make or take a call? what about my personal favorite, letting the call go to voicemail and getting it later? there are too many common sense approaches that driving unsafely when using a cell phone is just an excuse to act stupid.

we don't need more contro or more laws or even the cell providers trying to babysit or monitor our movements, but what needs to happen is enforcing the laws we already have when people endanger others because they are distracted from driving while using a cell phone or texting. they need to just enforce these laws and make them very expensive lessens and after a few offences, take away their drivers license and make them a high risk driver on their insurance. when it becomes too expensive to operate a vehicle because they have too many tickets from using a cell phone unsafely, they will learn, hopefully.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IMO, cell phones are very much like alcohol. neither should be regulated as to when someone can use them or able to track it's usage, and people abuse both because they lack common sense. but there are many who use them responsiblily and know how to use some common sense. a person that consumes alcohol with a responsible attitude will have a designated driver if in public and consumes more than the legal limit or they will stay at home or wherever and not get behind the wheel of a vehicle. using a cell phone when driving is not any different IMO. what about getting a hands-free device or Bluetooth device? what about pulling over on the side of the road if you need to make or take a call? what about my personal favorite, letting the call go to voicemail and getting it later? there are too many common sense approaches that driving unsafely when using a cell phone is just an excuse to act stupid.

we don't need more contro or more laws or even the cell providers trying to babysit or monitor our movements, but what needs to happen is enforcing the laws we already have when people endanger others because they are distracted from driving while using a cell phone or texting. they need to just enforce these laws and make them very expensive lessens and after a few offences, take away their drivers license and make them a high risk driver on their insurance. when it becomes too expensive to operate a vehicle because they have too many tickets from using a cell phone unsafely, they will learn, hopefully.
It's very true that driving while talking on a cell phone is a distraction, but my main complaint is with the people that text and drive. While you're talking you can still keep your eyes on the road. That is not true while texting. That is why I suggested disabling texting once the phone is moving at or above a certain speed.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3269 Times on 2223 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

It's very true that driving while talking on a cell phone is a distraction, but my main complaint is with the people that text and drive. While you're talking you can still keep your eyes on the road. That is not true while texting. That is why I suggested disabling texting once the phone is moving at or above a certain speed.
Ya know,..there's an APP for that....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #64
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
in part i agree, and in a way i don't. what would be nice is that people would use some common sence and realize that texting while driving is a distraction, so therefor it endangers themselves and others.

or another possiblity is, they do know and just don't care about how much they endanger others because they are so wrapped up in their own selfish little lives, that they have no regard for others.

maybe when they are pulled over and right after getting a ticket for texting while driving, the cop puts a boot throught their cell phone! i'd pay money to se that happen!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #65

Liked 304 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
I don't agree with this. You would prevent all the passengers from safely and legally texting away, while in the passenger seat, on the bus, or in the taxi.

No offense, but sounds a bit like magazine capacity limits. Just not for more laws that 'might' prevent accidents.

Interesting discussion.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
I don't agree with this. You would prevent all the passengers from safely and legally texting away, while in the passenger seat, on the bus, or in the taxi.

No offense, but sounds a bit like magazine capacity limits. Just not for more laws that 'might' prevent accidents.

Interesting discussion.
Well if it's that darned important why don't they just make a phone call?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #67

Quote:
Well if it's that darned important why don't they just make a phone call?
Don't you have to look down to your contacts or keyboard to make a call? Again, I VERY rarely will take a quick cell call, depending on traffic and such. I am not for using these mobile things while driving, just not sure we need more laws.

How far do you want to go to implement laws for 'public safety'?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fred_G

I apologize for my previous snappy answer. I see your point, but it's not like my idea would prevent a passenger from communicating. It is a cell phone, and they could make a voice call.

Your comment about 'might' prevent accidents is a little off the mark. First, there is no such thing as a motor vehicle 'accident' in my book. Someone either did something they shouldn't have, or didn't do something they should have. There is always a cause to a motor vehicle crash. Second, who do you think pays for these crashes? If 1/4 of the drivers with Allstate in the state of Florida has a crash over the next five years, no matter how insignificant, it's going to cost me money in increased premiums. Why should I have to pay for someone else's stupidity? Taking your eyes off the road for any reason is not a wise thing to do while you're driving, and texting requires you to take your eyes off the road.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Don't you have to look down to your contacts or keyboard to make a call? Again, I VERY rarely will take a quick cell call, depending on traffic and such. I am not for using these mobile things while driving, just not sure we need more laws.

How far do you want to go to implement laws for 'public safety'?
I thought you were talking about the passengers or people on buses. It wouldn't matter where they are looking.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #70

Quote:
I thought you were talking about the passengers or people on buses. It wouldn't matter where they are looking.
I was talking about both. I thought you said if it was important, make a call. Which, if you are driving may depending on the voice recognition you use, require you to take your eyes off the road.

I just hate the 'we need more laws to make us more safe' mentality. Do you really feel a lot safer when the gubment is taking care of you?

Now this popped into my mind. Why not make reckless driving that causes a wreck similar to DUI? If it can be proven they were on the phone, or texting, and caused a wreck hit them with that. Impaired is impaired, no matter what it is. Cell phones leave a record, and the Breathalyzer reads the 'bar tab'.

But leave the people who don't crash their cars alone. Interesting to me, but again, I want less laws, and the ones we have enforced.