Mobile devices and pet peeve - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mobile devices and pet peeve

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Sorry, but it's not all about you. If it's that important keep your eyes on the road and make a phone call. You are paying for cell service, right?
Yes it is. You are asking my cell provider to track my every move. Why does my cell provider need to track me? They don't.

Again I am not paying them to baby sit my or mine. I am paying them to provide a service of internet, phone, and text messages. No where in there does it say we are your baby sitter and if you do one thing wrong or not we are going to put you in a time out.

I don't talk or text while driving normally one hand is on the wheel the other is waving a Coonan out the window.

So many of you are so secure in wanting your damn nanny state. Why don't you all move to Detroit where it is the biggest nanny city. Tell me how that works.

That is like saying YOU can't eat bacon because Joe has high Cholesterol.

I don't live in California so stay out of my business.
__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Yes it is. You are asking my cell provider to track my every move. Why does my cell provider need to track me? They don't.

Again I am not paying them to baby sit my or mine. I am paying them to provide a service of internet, phone, and text messages. No where in there does it say we are your baby sitter and if you do one thing wrong or not we are going to put you in a time out.

I don't talk or text while driving normally one hand is on the wheel the other is waving a Coonan out the window.

So many of you are so secure in wanting your damn nanny state. Why don't you all move to Detroit where it is the biggest nanny city. Tell me how that works.

That is like saying YOU can't eat bacon because Joe has high Cholesterol.

I don't live in California so stay out of my business.
I have a little news flash for you. Your cell provider already tracks your every move. How do you think they assign the nearest available tower?

As far as you normally not texting or talking while driving, thank you. Of course that would mean none of this really applies to you, but feel free to continue expressing yourself.
__________________

Last edited by Doc3402; 08-20-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #53
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,485
Liked 3079 Times on 2090 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

I have a little news flash for you. Your cell provider already tracks your every move. How do you think they assign the nearest available tower?

As far as you normally not texting or talking while driving, thank you. Of course that would mean none of this really doesn't applies to you, but feel free to continue expressing yourself.
"towers" are assigned automatically, unless your in a "dead" spot for your carrier like I am,..in which case your either "roaming" or you do what I did and Buy a device called a "Microcell port mini-tower" and hook it to your ETHERNET Cable, thereby turning your house into a cell tower.....
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #54
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,857
Liked 8195 Times on 4732 Posts
Likes Given: 10552

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
"towers" are assigned automatically, unless your in a "dead" spot for your carrier like I am,..in which case your either "roaming" or you do what I did and Buy a device called a "Microcell port mini-tower" and hook it to your ETHERNET Cable, thereby turning your house into a cell tower.....
Doc's point is still valid. If you carry a cell phone you are tracked everywhere you go, and sometimes even when the cell phone is powered off.

I, like you, practice personal responsibility and I don't operate my cell phone while driving, except when I use my Bluetooth and this is only for brief moments to answer a call. If the call requires more than my momentary response I will pull over to a proper parking spot and continue the call or call back later to do so.

As Doc said, it does not apply to me. But I still do have a problem with being tracked everywhere I go- so i don't take my cell phone with me everywhere. Problem solved!
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #55
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,485
Liked 3079 Times on 2090 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Doc's point is still valid. If you carry a cell phone you are tracked everywhere you go, and sometimes even when the cell phone is powered off.

I, like you, practice personal responsibility and I don't operate my cell phone while driving, except when I use my Bluetooth and this is only for brief moments to answer a call. If the call requires more than my momentary response I will pull over to a proper parking spot and continue the call or call back later to do so.

As Doc said, it does not apply to me. But I still do have a problem with being tracked everywhere I go- so i don't take my cell phone with me everywhere. Problem solved!
Good point Viking! For me, I have an older Flip phone i keep with a Pay as you go # for "semi" off the grid....
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
"towers" are assigned automatically, unless your in a "dead" spot for your carrier like I am,..in which case your either "roaming" or you do what I did and Buy a device called a "Microcell port mini-tower" and hook it to your ETHERNET Cable, thereby turning your house into a cell tower.....
I have a question for you. Without giving too much away, can you give me an idea of your dead spot circumstances? Did you occasionally get a weak signal, or was it dead at all times? How much improvement do you think you actually got?

My brother moved to an area that is not serviced by his cell carrier, and I guess what I'm asking is if this would be a good idea for him. He and his wife both have flip phones with the same carrier, but they are different brands. His phone will not show a signal at the house, but she can get a low strength signal with a lot of drop outs. Because his only choice for a land line is VoIP through Comcast he would really like to get cell service at home. Thanks.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #57
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,485
Liked 3079 Times on 2090 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

I have a question for you. Without giving too much away, can you give me an idea of your dead spot circumstances? Did you occasionally get a weak signal, or was it dead at all times? How much improvement do you think you actually got?

My brother moved to an area that is not serviced by his cell carrier, and I guess what I'm asking is if this would be a good idea for him. He and his wife both have flip phones with the same carrier, but they are different brands. His phone will not show a signal at the house, but she can get a low strength signal with a lot of drop outs. Because his only choice for a land line is VoIP through Comcast he would really like to get cell service at home. Thanks.
Sure,..not too much to "give away." We live in a Valley surrounded my 6-7,000 ft. Mtns. The only cell tower in the area is a Verizon Tower atop the cement plant (that at least one of my fellow Homeowners thinks hides a uranium mine run by the government). we never had more then 1 bar if at all, unless we drove about 500Ft away from the house,..onto the nearest hilltop. With this device, we now always have 4 if not 5 bars...prior to both of us having iPhones she had a "crackberry" curve 9650(from her old Job so she could have her work E-mail) and I had a LG rumor touch, which was worse then the orig. LG rumor because the "touchscreen" stunk....
PM me if you'd like to discuss further...
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

DrFootball,

I think that about covers what I need to know. It sounds like it would give him the improvement he wants. Whether he will get rid of his VoIP will depend on his wife, but it sounds good. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Monroe,Louisiana
Posts: 406
Liked 300 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Unfortunately we already know she is a scofflaw. Taking her license won't do any good. Taking her car will be the most likely way to keep her off the streets, and that isn't a sure thing.

Not sure what to do about people like her. If she is that bad, a law against using the mobile device would not effect her either.
__________________
Fred_G is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

I would suggest jail time, but I'm not sure that's an answer. It would protect the general public while she's in there, but you can't keep her forever.

__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
My pet Peeve: Whining cops Chainfire The Club House 13 07-28-2013 10:02 PM
What is your biggest GUN OWNER pet peeve? PrimePorkchop The Club House 576 08-13-2012 10:39 AM
My Pet Peeve gandog56 Curio & Relic Discussion 36 10-12-2010 04:50 AM
Home defense pet peeve. boatme98 The Club House 23 01-13-2010 12:51 AM