minimum ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > minimum ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Default minimum ammo?

what would be the minimum amount of ammo you would want to have for your two primary defense weapons going into a SHTF scenario? i currently have a thousand for my rifle and a thousand for my pistol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I'll tell you this, you have more than I do and I feel prepared

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Two full mags for each gun. (After the shooting stops!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Q: Assuming a Katrina situation hit this neighborhood, absolute lawlessness – What would you recommend as your SHTF package?

A:
AR-15 per person with 500 rounds each piece
1911 .45 per person with 200 rounds each piece
.12 gauge shotgun per group with 96 rounds

Q: What should every self sufficient homeowner include in their homes?

A: Most people get hung up on the weapon aspect of that sort of question, but one of the key things to remember is that you need to be able to feed yourself during that time frame. I would suggest 6 to 8 weeks of food, water and medical supplies ( including prescriptions like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. ) A lot of the food can be canned, so you don’t need to worry about spoiling, and if you know the bad times are coming, fill up your tubs with water before you lose the ability. Plus you can buy 5 gallon water jugs from any water supply place, even the grocery stores sell them here, that you can have on hand to fill up should you need too.

From this thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=33791

This is a standard that I live by in my house. YMMV.

JD

Old 03-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #5

have, or have on me??

if need be, and i had to, i have a lbv with a holster for the pistol and 4 addl mags, 6 addl mags for teh ar, and 2 frag grenade pouches filled with 12 ga.

in storage at the house is a different story.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

.223 as your primary defensive round doesn't really fit the Katrina scenario. Offensively, yes, but that presumes that you're going to be taking shots at people before you know what their situation/intentions are.
I'm thinking that a good pump-action 3" 12GA and a band saw would be preferable. Winchester Model 12 with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece comes to mind. #4 shot/slug/#4shot/slug...........

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As for the water jugs, burying them, even in the desert will keep the water cool, and therefore less apt to grow bacteria. Collapsible plastic water containers work great for this, because you don't have to dig a perfect hiding hole. They conform to whatever you can manage to dig.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #8

Liked 1841 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I like the idea of a 22 with a full brick of ammo. The thing to think about with hunting is you may not have refrigeration. If not, then large game would go to waste. Most hunting would probably be kept to a size that could be consumed that day.

I have over 1000 rounds of each caliber I reload. That is pretty common for a reloader. But, I have an ammo can that is specially marked. It has 200 rounds of 45 auto, 200 rounds of 40 s&w, 100 rounds of 357 mag, 40 rounds of sks, and a brick of 22lr as well as some 12 gauge bird shot. I have another can with 100 rounds of 00 Buck. Those are what I would grab in an emergency. If I have to defend my life or the lives of those around me I can do that. I was in the Army. However, I personaly can not justify a 200 yard rifle shot as self defense. That is just me. I would not hold it against anyone here with a different opinion. Again this is just me. If someone was shooting at me from a distance I would of course return fire.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
The thing to think about with hunting is you may not have refrigeration. If not, then large game would go to waste. Most hunting would probably be kept to a size that could be consumed that day.
I've thought about that too, I would imagine you could make a fridge out of snow and ice if you're in the right area. If you're in the dessert though I guess you could make a bunch of jerky, but I'm not sure how to without electricity.
Damn technology! I guess the Amish were right all along.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
what would be the minimum amount of ammo you would want to have for your two primary defense weapons going into a SHTF scenario? i currently have a thousand for my rifle and a thousand for my pistol.

the ammo is only good if you can pack it all. Id go for half the ammo, will be plenty laying around from the unprepared.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.