Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   minimum ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/minimum-ammo-24271/)

rifleman1 03-06-2010 01:16 AM

minimum ammo?

what would be the minimum amount of ammo you would want to have for your two primary defense weapons going into a SHTF scenario? i currently have a thousand for my rifle and a thousand for my pistol.

DarinCraft 03-06-2010 01:25 AM

Well I'll tell you this, you have more than I do and I feel prepared;)

canebrake 03-06-2010 01:37 AM

Two full mags for each gun. (After the shooting stops!)

Dillinger 03-06-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 33791)
Q: Assuming a Katrina situation hit this neighborhood, absolute lawlessness Ė What would you recommend as your SHTF package?

A:
AR-15 per person with 500 rounds each piece
1911 .45 per person with 200 rounds each piece
.12 gauge shotgun per group with 96 rounds

Q: What should every self sufficient homeowner include in their homes?

A: Most people get hung up on the weapon aspect of that sort of question, but one of the key things to remember is that you need to be able to feed yourself during that time frame. I would suggest 6 to 8 weeks of food, water and medical supplies ( including prescriptions like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. ) A lot of the food can be canned, so you donít need to worry about spoiling, and if you know the bad times are coming, fill up your tubs with water before you lose the ability. Plus you can buy 5 gallon water jugs from any water supply place, even the grocery stores sell them here, that you can have on hand to fill up should you need too.

From this thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=33791

This is a standard that I live by in my house. YMMV.

JD

deth502 03-06-2010 02:02 AM

have, or have on me??

if need be, and i had to, i have a lbv with a holster for the pistol and 4 addl mags, 6 addl mags for teh ar, and 2 frag grenade pouches filled with 12 ga.

in storage at the house is a different story.

gorknoids 03-06-2010 02:15 AM

.223 as your primary defensive round doesn't really fit the Katrina scenario. Offensively, yes, but that presumes that you're going to be taking shots at people before you know what their situation/intentions are.
I'm thinking that a good pump-action 3" 12GA and a band saw would be preferable. Winchester Model 12 with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece comes to mind. #4 shot/slug/#4shot/slug...........

gorknoids 03-06-2010 02:22 AM

As for the water jugs, burying them, even in the desert will keep the water cool, and therefore less apt to grow bacteria. Collapsible plastic water containers work great for this, because you don't have to dig a perfect hiding hole. They conform to whatever you can manage to dig.

Rick1967 03-06-2010 03:05 AM

I like the idea of a 22 with a full brick of ammo. The thing to think about with hunting is you may not have refrigeration. If not, then large game would go to waste. Most hunting would probably be kept to a size that could be consumed that day.

I have over 1000 rounds of each caliber I reload. That is pretty common for a reloader. But, I have an ammo can that is specially marked. It has 200 rounds of 45 auto, 200 rounds of 40 s&w, 100 rounds of 357 mag, 40 rounds of sks, and a brick of 22lr as well as some 12 gauge bird shot. I have another can with 100 rounds of 00 Buck. Those are what I would grab in an emergency. If I have to defend my life or the lives of those around me I can do that. I was in the Army. However, I personaly can not justify a 200 yard rifle shot as self defense. That is just me. I would not hold it against anyone here with a different opinion. Again this is just me. If someone was shooting at me from a distance I would of course return fire.

MGH 03-06-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 242177)
The thing to think about with hunting is you may not have refrigeration. If not, then large game would go to waste. Most hunting would probably be kept to a size that could be consumed that day.

I've thought about that too, I would imagine you could make a fridge out of snow and ice if you're in the right area. If you're in the dessert though I guess you could make a bunch of jerky, but I'm not sure how to without electricity.:o
Damn technology! I guess the Amish were right all along.:p

doctherock 03-06-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 242124)
what would be the minimum amount of ammo you would want to have for your two primary defense weapons going into a SHTF scenario? i currently have a thousand for my rifle and a thousand for my pistol.

the ammo is only good if you can pack it all. Id go for half the ammo, will be plenty laying around from the unprepared.