Military Wisdom
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Military Wisdom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Military Wisdom

Subject: Wisdom from Military Manuals

'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'
- Infantry Journal-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.'
- US.Air Force Manual -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.'
- General MacArthur -

'You, you, and you ... Panic. The rest of you, come with me.'
- U.S. Marine corps Gunnery Sgt.-

'Tracers work both ways.'
- U.S. Army Ordnance Manual-

'Five second fuses only last three seconds.'
-Infantry Journal -

The three most useless things in aviation are:
Fuel in the bowser; Runway behind you; and Air above you.
-Basic Flight Training Manual-

'Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once.'
- Maritime Ops Manual -

'Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.'
- Unknown Marine Recruit-

'If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him.'
-USAF Ammo Troop-

'Yeah, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
- Sign over SR71 Wing Ops-

'You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3.'
-Paul F. Crickmore (SR71 test pilot)-

'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
-Unknown Author-

'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'
- Fixed Wing Pilot-

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
-Multi-Engine Training Manual-

'Without ammunition, the USAF is just an expensive flying club.'
-Unknown Author-

'If you hear me yell;"Eject, Eject, Eject!", the last two will be echos.' If you stop to ask "Why?", you'll be talking to yourself, because you're the pilot.'
-Pre-flight Briefing from a 104 Pilot-

'What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; but If ATC screws up, .... The pilot dies.'
-Sign over Control Tower Door-

'Never trade luck for skill.'
-Author Unknown-

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are: 'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and 'Oh S...!' or (appended from the Arkansas Air National Guard):"Hold my beer and watch this!"
-Authors Unknown-

'Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight.'
-Basic Flight Training Manual-

'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
- Unknown Author -

'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it.'
- Emergency Checklist-

'The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.'
- Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot) -

'There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime.'
-Sign over Squadron Ops Desk at Davis-Montham AFB, AZ-

'If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.'
- Sign over Carrier Group Operations Desk-

'You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.'
- Lead-in Fighter Training Manual -

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives. The rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks,'What happened?' The pilot's reply: 'I don't know, I just got here myself!'

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

HAHA some of those are pretty damned funny and very true.

Quote:
'Without ammunition, the USAF is just an expensive flying club.'
-Unknown Author-
I've heard this from Ammo troops as
Without AMMO, your just U. S. Air

Best advice in regards to the military I got was from my dad.
"Don't be first, Don't be last, and DON'T volunteer."

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

Those were good!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

"It doesn't matter what the recruiter, MEPS, or RDC (drill instructor) told your job is gonna be. You are a janitor first and foremost. Anything your ship does, it will do sparkling clean." Navy "A" school instructor

Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Nice Jo!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #6

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Drill instructor

British drill sargent to one of his pfc,s pointing his drill stick " on the end of this stick is a piece of sh*t " Not on this end sargent was the quick reply

Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
British drill sargent to one of his pfc,s pointing his drill stick " on the end of this stick is a piece of sh*t " Not on this end sargent was the quick reply
Thats effing funny

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

"There they go. I must get in front of them, for I am their leader"
Unknown French General
--------------------------------------------------
"Recoiless rifles aren't"
Sp4 Chris Christensen, 90mm gunner
--------------------------------------------------
"The Ultimate Weapon- A Ranger with a Neutron Hand Grenade."
LTC Letcher Crawford, US Army Ranger School
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"When you call for a final protective fire, we will shoot that final protective fire until one of three events occurs. One- you tell us to stop, two- our tubes melt, or three- we run out of ammo. So IF that FPF has been falling for 5 minutes, and you look downrange, and the only thing dropping is illumination and psy-ops leaflet shells, you should consider it is time to implement Plan B- and fix bayonets."
Cpt Michael Sweeney, Artillery Instructor, US Army Infantry School
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Republic of Vietnam- radio traffic at night between unknown aircraft and unknown recon partrol:
"Can you mark your location- over."
"Do you see all the GREEN tracers?-Over."
"Roger that"
Do you see where they CONVERGE?"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-05-2010 at 11:06 PM.