Military unit/Genealogy Research HELP.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Military unit/Genealogy Research HELP.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default Military unit/Genealogy Research HELP.

Alright. I've picked up genealogy as a bit of a side hobby and I found some records about my maternal grandfather. Pic Attached says that he served in WWII throughout North Africa and into Italy with the "941st Ordnance Company."

I was wondering if any of you vets out there could help me find out a bit more because I haven't been able to find much...The military seems like a maze of numbered units unless you know each level of organization of the unit (regiment, division, etc etc)

untitled.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

After leaving the service, did your grandfather go to the VA for any of his medical needs? Did he belong to the local VFW or AmVets? If hr did I would start by talking to other members of the social clubs he belonged to if any. I can't be sure about it, but it seems to me like some of the MOS numbers have changed over the years, while some are the same as when my dad was in the Corps.

Sorry I can't help with this more.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

My mother was a child in Naples. She only remembers images of the city's liberation. One image is of a burning jeep. The other is of seeing a black person for the first time (American Soldier). Oh, and Joes gave her chocolate candy. My grandfather use to tell me stories of the Americans, and how nice they were. He said the Brits were not very friendly and very stuck up. The Nazis were pure evil of course. One time the Nazis killed some Italians and the city revolted/rioted. The Nazis were more careful with the populous after that. My mother told me the volcano erupted during a battle between US and German troops. The battle ended quite quickly. LOL! She remembers her father going outside with a table covering his back. She claims the eruption actually saved the city from battle damage. Lives were actually saved. She said god works in mysterious ways. Well, anyways, your grandfather was a hero. He helped in freeing my family from tyranny.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
My mother was a child in Naples. She only remembers images of the city's liberation. One image is of a burning jeep. The other is of seeing a black person for the first time (American Soldier). Oh, and Joes gave her chocolate candy. My grandfather use to tell me stories of the Americans, and how nice they were. He said the Brits were not very friendly and very stuck up. The Nazis were pure evil of course. One time the Nazis killed some Italians and the city revolted/rioted. The Nazis were more careful with the populous after that. My mother told me the volcano erupted during a battle between US and German troops. The battle ended quite quickly. LOL! She remembers her father going outside with a table covering his back. She claims the eruption actually saved the city from battle damage. Lives were actually saved. She said god works in mysterious ways. Well, anyways, your grandfather was a hero. He helped in freeing my family from tyranny.
That's quite the story! haha. Thanks for the compliment, I'm sure he would have shrugged it off...he was a pretty humble guy

Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

If I was to guess he was with the army-air force. At that time the Air Force was part of the army. He prolly loaded ordinance onto the planes. But I'm not sure on the rank. Maybe equivalent to a staff sergeant are something. He prolly got most of the medals for things his squadron accomplished.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb6112 View Post
If I was to guess he was with the army-air force. At that time the Air Force was part of the army. He prolly loaded ordinance onto the planes. But I'm not sure on the rank. Maybe equivalent to a staff sergeant are something. He prolly got most of the medals for things his squadron accomplished.
I'm aware that before the creation of the Air Force it was the Army Air Corps. Technician 5, or T-5, is equivalent to Corporal IIRC.

Some of the things I saw mentioned aerial topography and the like...not really sure though. I was thinking about getting records because I'm in Missouri for school and they have HUGE collections for military vets, I just don't have discharge papers, or his Social

Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

You should be able to use the National Archives.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/