Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Military requirment for brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
MGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Military requirment for brass

The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

The Department of Defence has required the military to stop selling it used brass for civilian use.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, I've thought this was going to be the way it was going to be for a few years now. Regulating Ammunition. It's a real BUMMER. However, what really ticks me off about this is the potential cost to the tax payers. The article states that shredding the spent brass will reduce it's worth by some 80% from the value of the reloadable casings. This will only dramaticly increase the cost of ammunition to law enforcement agencies as well as the military. They'll be buying new brass for their ammunition as well as civilian sportsmen. And guess who pays? - US- The taxpayers. This adminstration just doesn't seem to have any fiscal common sense. Oh! I forgot. They're going to raise our taxes anyway. I also hear that they are going to tax all ammunition pretty soon as well. I guess that should help cover some of the extra government expense that this action will incur. (sarcastic!) Does anyone out there know how much it would cost to set up a new business spinning up new brass casings? Cause' it sounds like it could get real lucrative real quick! (also somewhat sarcastic!)

China is going to buy it all as scrap? I wonder how much of this scrap brass China will re-spin into new brass that will potentially end up as ammunition in the hands of our enimies? Current or future.

O.K. getting close to having a rant here. Time for a BP pill. LOL

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Didn't the U.S. sell scrap metal to Japan prior to WW II? The man was right, history has a way of repeating itself. Technically, that brass belongs to the tax payers. I smell a rat.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

Here is another tax hike - they're raising the tax on tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $25.00 a pound as of 1 April. I read this in Shotgun News | Home Page forum. Also, packs of smokes have been raised .50 and 1 April add another .60 cents.

I do not smoke!

What worries me now is alcohol (beer and hard stuff), when are they going to jack the price and tax the crap of it. Then, we have the juice - (Diesel and Gas). Next the funding for the greener world - tax natural gas and electricity. Another thing, how are we going to pay for the spending by big brother - tax hike from 28 percent to sky is the limit!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #5

Well, the tobacco and alcohol tax was going to happen regardless of the current adminstration. But the impending increase of energy costs due to this currrent adminstrations policies are ludicris. It seems the current crew in power will sacrifice everything, and shove it down our throats weather we like it or not, to carry out their great idealistic and esoteric social re-engineering of our society.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Didn't the U.S. sell scrap metal to Japan prior to WW II? The man was right, history has a way of repeating itself. Technically, that brass belongs to the tax payers. I smell a rat.
Oil too, but the U.S. cut them off because they were tearing the shat out of China. Of course, all they really wanted was China's resources to expand their empire and they were having too much fun kicking the shat out of the Chinise. (Long time hatered for each other). Isolationist America thought it was horrid what Japan was doing to China, and it was, and the American public outcry was great through the later 1930's. Plus Japans early on fledling alliances with the other problems going on in Europe at that time and their obvious desire to expand their power and control in the Pacific. Cutting Japan off really put a monkey wrench in the works for them and really pissed them off. I feel it is what really motivated them to attack Pearl Harbor believing that the U.S. would be slow to respond or not respond at all. Worst case scenero for them at the time is that they thought it would buy them enough time to conquor their surrounding island nations, get their resources and dig in before we attacked in retaliation. Admiral Yamamoto was claimed to have said just after their attack on Pearl Harbor that "I fear that we've only awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve" Well he was right.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
MGH

There are quite a few things that piss me off about this.

1) Those companies that baught once-fired brass from the military can't get the supply they need.
2) Now only companies like Winchester, Remington, Etc... will mass produce ammo. Who might I add are already making as many rounds possible to supply the military.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went to the link on MGH's post this morning and cut and pasted a copy of Gordon Hutchinson's letter and sent it to Congressman Paul Ryan 1st District Wisconsin. I urge every one to do the same. This is some serious do do. Its time to rally the troops boys and girls.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
Here is another tax hike - they're raising the tax on tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $25.00 a pound as of 1 April. I read this in Shotgun News | Home Page forum. Also, packs of smokes have been raised .50 and 1 April add another .60 cents.

I do not smoke!

What worries me now is alcohol (beer and hard stuff), when are they going to jack the price and tax the crap of it. Then, we have the juice - (Diesel and Gas). Next the funding for the greener world - tax natural gas and electricity. Another thing, how are we going to pay for the spending by big brother - tax hike from 28 percent to sky is the limit!
All of this happened a little over 200 years ago. Hopefully history repeats itself and we're able to free ourselves from tyranny.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #10

Default The Governemnt is pricing us out of ammo.

The DoD has been ordered to turn once used ammo into scrap instead of selling it to ammunition manufactures.
This is an assault on ALL ammuntion and will greatly increase the price of all ammo- even if your just a skeet/trap shooter.
Please see this message on the Georgia Arms website.

NOW IS THE time you make your senators and representatives aware of your position.
Please don't sit on this one.
Here is a copy of the letter I've sent to my elected officials:

I was recently made aware that the Department of Defense has been ordered to destroy all once used brass, (ammunition cartridges) and sell the brass as scrap. Prior to this order the U.S. Government sold this as surplus ammunition cartridges to ammunition manufactures at a profit and now is receiving 80% less in revenue due to this order. The need for tax revenue in our current economic situation makes this order completely senseless. My tax dollars were used to pay for this brass to begin with and I consider this an outrage. This will even raise the cost of ammunition that our military will have to buy. If that’s not insulting enough I have also found out that China is the largest importer of our scrap brass.

It’s obvious that this is nothing less than an assault on the 2nd Amendment by pricing the individual out of shooting and this assault on the 2nd Amendment is being done in a circuitous fashion of going around our elected officials to effectively remove our constitutional rights.

As my elected official I expect that this will be vigorously addressed and I will be watching your actions on this matter closely.

Please call your Representative and Senator and send a letter by snail mail- it does make a difference.

The Peoples So******ts Republic of Illinois

BEER IS GOOD FOOD!