Military enlistment help? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Military enlistment help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
myself:

Service Academy graduate, commissioned in 04 with a standard 4-year Bachelors degree

3 1/2 years active duty, at which point due to budget cuts I was told that the last 2 years of my service contract were waived and I could walk away a civilian, free and clear. (my "college" was free, but incurred a 5-year commitment)

I said "I'm not done serving!!" fought tooth and nail for a slot as a part time reservist, just so I could continue to serve...my competition? all my peers who were also told their services were no longer needed that still wanted to serve. Not everyone was able to find a slot.

In all, I've given 14 years of my life to military service.

as a commander in the reserves, I had people coming in as E-1s with 4 year bachelor degrees.

and to echo what Shade said... your comments are dripping with lackadaisical, non-committal, and lase-faire attitude.

The military is not for you.
Which Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Ill second this. If you can get into the reserves its easier to go active from there if you apply yourself.
The last four words are the most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallelujah99 View Post
All I was saying not trying to offend anybody was should I wait for a slot or should I go reserve and then try to go active? I don't need people getting pissed. I actually wore jeans and a white tshirt and answer every question with yes sir or no sir.
ASVAB Score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I went active duty thru the reserve just prior to my 16th birthday and retired before my 40th birthday with 24 years of service. When there is a will there is a way and I would check the possibilities of going active thru the reserves.
My Dad got out in '53 he was a combat engineer in the USA in Korea.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #22

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade View Post
which service?

usaf.

7, 8, 9, 10.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 AM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
usaf.

7, 8, 9, 10.

seriously?

First, the software won't accept just "USAF" as a reply, because it's only 4 characters instead of 10...THEN the software "auto-incorrects" my reply to lower case?! sheesh.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #24

Liked 2644 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 2553

I can tell from what you've posted here that you won't like being in the military. First you quit high school now you say college isn't for you, meaning you want to quit that too. The fact is you quit high school and it's keeping you from your goal. Now you want to quit college, you haven't learned anything from your past mistakes. It tells me boatloads about your attitude and it tells the recruiter the same thing. You need to quit whining, finish something then move on to the next thing. You'll be amazed how good you will feel about yourself.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #25

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

if you show up in super shape a recruiter will try harder to make things happen for you.
A USMC buddy of mine told me the USMC will sometimes accept certain things as long as the guy shows up in great shape already.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #26

rjd: I dont know.. maybe the young man just needs some structure. he might really thrive in the military. I say this as someone with 23 years in...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #27

If your ASVAB score is high enough the Army will take you, but likely not until September toward the close of the recruiting year.

US Army Ret SFC/E-7 and I was a damn good recruiter back in the day.

Good Luck!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #28

redman has a point.. A good Asvab score will really help too.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thank u guys for the advice I'm goin all army. Yes i am young I'm 18 and I hoping to discipline myself and serve my country. I'm sorry I came off as rude to you guys. I didn't mean to sound that way. Also I'm glad that the army will pay for my schooling. I didn't have the money for college anymore. I'm 18 and owe too money because of college tuition but now maybe ill get help. I'll probably make a post again after I get back from basic. Lucky me my recruiter helped me out. Since I scored a decent score on the asvab. I tell haven't chosen a ... a mos? But I'm trying to find something in the front lines but makes good pay and give me a good job after I get out the military.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1895 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 713

If you can run 3 miles in under 18 minutes the Marine Corps is always looking for a few good men. You have to run 3 miles under 21 minutes to stay out of the physical fitness platoon which will extend your stay in boot camp. They really don't care if you have a GED. They look to see if you are capable of placing into college classes. If your recruiter won't reveal your weak spots in testing go to a community college and take their placement tests. Take classes to build up your basic skills to college level, expository writing and classes that will help you get the MOS you desire.

At your age life is full of second chances. If you play your cards right you could be headed to OCS instead of AIT after boot camp. The process is designed to weed out quitters from day one. You have to show the bastards you are not a quitter, nor will you settle for second best.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.