Military enlistment help?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Military enlistment help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Military enlistment help?

I have a GED and its hard for me to go active in any military branch. Is there a way I can find out if there are open GED slots!? My recruiter doesn't know and is telling me to join reserves and I can go active after 6 months. However I've heard that is a bad way to go if u want to go active

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

this may sting....

with the economy being the way it's been the last several years, there have been people lined up out the door for a "job" in the military. even the lowest rank, lowest paid enlisted member has a pretty good job, free medical, retirement pension plan, 30 days of vacation a year, all from day 1.

on top of that, the military is drawing down in size and needs people to get out due to budget cuts.

what that means, is the military gets to be SUPER selective on who they let in. And the loud message that you send by having a GED over a HS Diploma, is that "I'm a quitter, and didn't finish high school the first time I tried" now they have a choice... pick the kid who was able to finish high school the first time, or the one who had to go back as an adult to get his equivalent. no shot at you, but statistically, which person is more likely to not quit/give up...the one who finished high school on time, or the one who didn't?

Now, I don't know you from Adam, I don't know your personal story, I don't know why you didn't finish high school on time and had to go back to get a GED, so please don't take anything I've said personally. Just remember, the military does not know you from Adam either, and in times like this, they can be, they HAVE to be more selective on who they let in, and when they don't know you from the next guy in line, they have to come up with quantifiable data points to distinguish the difference between person A and person B. one of those data points is education. college degree? some college? high school diploma? or GED?

Knowing what I do about the AF, I'd consider beginning your college career now, get some college credits to your name, and show that you're working towards your bachelors degree. that may open up some opportunities for you.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5640 Times on 2947 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Dont know you you or your situation but here is some general advice.

My advice get in shape. Make sure your fit enough to run 2+ miles in less than 9minutes a mile. Be able to do lots of pushup and situp in 2 min. Easy free things to do to help you out.

Get a job any job any pay. If someone is hiring take the work. The military is not likely to take in someone that is outof shape and sucking off the taxpayer dollar if all you got is a ged.

If you have had trouble with the law and been hitting the booze and chemical party favors your prolly s.o.l. the military only takes those folks when they have body bags to fill on the front lines. Excess of enemy bullets flying around and not enough recruits to catch em. Despite the liberal claims military recruits are typically the brightest and most dedicated folks.

If you want in your going to have to demonstrate your dedication and physical fitness is an easy area to work on as is holding down a job.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Find your local community college. Get signed up for some classes ASAP. Yeah, you can do it part time while working. Look for classes in a field related to what you want to DO in the military.

THEN you go talk to the recruiter as a college grad, and not a GED holder.

PS- Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the Army did not require any education. I enlisted without a diploma. Got a GED while in basic tng. Hhave since picked up a few college degrees. Word of advice from someone that has been there-
1. That you DID go get your GED, good. BUT-
2. Right now, it is a buyer's market for the recruiters. They have more folks trying to get in than they have slots. Yes, they will cherrypick over the pool of bodies. Get some additional education, and RAISE yourself higher in that pool.

PS- +1000 on what Jon said. He nailed that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-25-2013 at 03:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes I understand completely I am actually in college right now and my second year and I jus don't think college is for me. So I decided to talk to them but I didn't it remember it be so hard to join like a year and a half ago.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What I don't understand is my recruiter said I could join the reserves but not go active? We not until a GED slot is opened

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallelujah99 View Post
What I don't understand is my recruiter said I could join the reserves but not go active? We not until a GED slot is opened
it's complicated.

easiest way I know to simplify it, is to say that there are different pools of money for different parts of the military. money used for gas and bullets cannot be used for hiring new recruits. the reserves have their own budget that is separate than the active duty budget. they have different numbers of "slots" available.

The fact that you can probably get into the reserves but not active duty is a sign of the budgetary times we are in. Again, speaking from what I know, the AF is looking to move to a reserve based force. they want the reserves to take up everything except those few select missions that only an active duty force can do. special operations, nuclear security/surety, etc.

Its much easier and cheaper to train a part time force that you activate on deployments only as needed, than it is to have a giant active duty force with full time personnel getting paid full time and full benefits while sitting around at "home"
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The military is so complicated. The recruiter said about six months ago with my status they would've let me in.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Take the reserve job, get help with college, get a degree, then go active. Keep in mind what everyone else said. Don't expect to make much, and don't expect to rank up quick. But you'll have a place to stay, and hot food to eat (most times).

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I jus wonder if it is jus my best bet to wait until there is a active slot for GED or give up because the situation on our country at the moment.