Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   might be moving to virginia (

TooStrongTerry 05-08-2012 02:30 PM

My gf might be transfering to virginia beach and I could transfer to danville...we r looking for a place in between where we wouldn't have to travel THAT far for work. I don't mind driving farther than her...but we r looking dor a rural area with some land so I can shoot and get the atvs goin with my son. Any body got any ideas? Any help would be appreciated


gunguy1997 05-08-2012 06:01 PM

i live in Danville and my dad used to work in Virginia beach.(im 14) south hill is dead center (2hours instead of 4) but i don't know about land you move to Danville and i literally live in the middle of a cow pasture where no one cares what you do but a 4 hour drive to Norfolk\Virginia beach. hope that helps.

c3shooter 05-08-2012 06:28 PM

The two cities are a LONG way apart- and traffic in VA Beach can be.......... interesting.

Anywhere between South Hill and Emporia is sort of middle of the road.

Shoobee 05-08-2012 06:33 PM

Good news ... Virginia is covered with deer like ticks on a dog.

Bad news ... Virginia is covered with ticks just like ticks on a dog.

Enjoy the venison!

Shihan 05-08-2012 07:03 PM

Move to Clarksville. You'll be right on Buggs Island Lake good for fishing, hunting and watersports. Plus it is where I was raised. Can't be all that bad. South Hill sucks. Chase City is ok.

TooStrongTerry 05-08-2012 09:49 PM

I wouldn't mind quitting and finding a job down there (she wouldn't quit) I just have to get out of ny. So more towards va beach...any other suggestions?

How are the pistol laws down there? Open carry, concealed, etc. How hard is it to get a concealed?


c3shooter 05-08-2012 10:09 PM

Open carry OK. "Shall issue" state for concealed.

Copy & paste -

Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city where he or she resides.

It is suggested that the applicant check with the Circuit Court where they reside for any local procedures. Questions specific to completion of the application, residency, or acceptable proof of handgun competency should be directed to the court.

The form (SP-248 Application for Concealed Handgun Permit) may be downloaded and/or printed from this web site. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page.

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1.Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
2.Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3.Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
4.Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5.Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
6.Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
7.Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
8.Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
9.Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.

The court shall charge a fee of $10.00 for the processing of an application or issuing of a permit. Local law enforcement agencies may charge a fee not to exceed $35.00 to cover the cost of conducting an investigation pursuant to this Code section. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5.00 to cover the cost associated with processing the application. The total amount of the charges may not exceed $50.00, and payment may be made by any method accepted by the court.

No fee shall be charged for the issuance of a permit to a retiree described in paragraph K of 18.2-308.

The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified.

The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

No permit to purchase nor to possess, no waiting periods, instant background check usually works OK, mo silly magazine bans, etc. Full auto legal.

Lot of hunting, lot of fishing.

TooStrongTerry 05-08-2012 11:09 PM

Fully auto legal? And high cap mags?! Whaaatttt


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.