Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Microsoft Windows 8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1761 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 3532

Default Microsoft Windows 8

Word from Intel Chief slams Windows 8 not ready. They are taking a tablet / touch PC operating system design.

Others in the comment section are indicating that you do not have full administrator control over your computer. You have to be connected to the net to have them work.

I for one am staying with Windows XP on older computer and Windows 7 on the newer one. Since some goodies are too old to use on Windows 7.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/09/27/intel_windows_8_is_not_ready

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20107146-92/microsoft-opens-curtains-on-windows-8-week-in-review/

One comment stands out from Cnet website:

1. You can't close Metro apps and although they automatically suspend themselves, they still consume RAM so after a while you have hundreds of dead applications lurking on your PC and your RAM will get consumed horribly.

2. You can't see at a glance what you have running like you can instantly with the traditional task bar. And y if you want to switch applications, you have to use a serial method of clicking in the left side of the screen to cycle through the running applications one by one til you get to the one you want. Because of point 1 above, you will probably have to wade through the last twenty things you did as they are not closed and are all sitting in this list. You can use the ALT-TAB method, but because you have hundreds of paused applications the list will be stupidly long.

3. Because there is no concept of overlapping Windows in Metro it's very much a 2D experience (clearly to save memory on phones which is the platform it was designed for), where you focus on one application and everything else is hidden, you feel like you have gone back in time to a single tasking operating system like DOS. This is one of my main gripes with Metro on a PC, I feel like we are taking a huge step backwards.

4. You can't easily discover how to do things. The first day I could not find how to shut down the PC, I had to do a Google search to find out it was in Settings??? Also there is no right click style pop-up menus in Metro (it's a 2D environment remember) so there are no context sensitive menus that can get you to what you want quickly.

5. When you are in the traditional desktop where what I suspect will soon be termed "Legacy Style" applications can run like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PhotoShop etc, when you click the start menu to see what's on it, you are whisked back to Metro's start page! If you insert a CD or DVD to install "Legacy" software the installer completes and you then have to click "Start" to exit back to the Main Metro start page, hunt through the right-scrolling 2d panes of applications that now appear as lots of metro tiles and include everything that would have previously been tucked away as subfolders of the start menu items. Then find the main application icon, right click it, this pops up menu bar that runs along the bottom of the screen, select an icon that is a circle with three dots in it and then click "Pin to taskbar", then you have to scroll back left through the thousands of tiles to get to the desktop tile (unless you have by now figured that pressing the Windows key does it) click that and finally you are back at the "Legacy" screen where you icon is now pinned to the taksbar... WHAT?!!

I know this is pre-release and really only designed for developers like me to learn how to build the new Metro style applications, but I have to say this is so depressing. I feel sorry for Sinofsky, I am sure some twerp from Marketing has said, "PCs are dying out, tablets are where its at, Apple are bigger than us now so they must be right. Everything has to be dumbed down and work like an iPad. So you have to come up with an iPad style Windows, that runs on low power devices, oh and NO you can't have two billion dollars to write a proper new Windows you have to chuck out Windows 7 and make Metro work on everything. Oh and don't forget it has to be backwardly compatible with Office as we make loads of money from that. Easy, a bit of cut and paste and you should have this up and running by lunch time!!" I cannot imagine how that went down. He single handedly saved Microsoft from the mess that they got themselves into with Vista, produced the best desktop operating system in the company's history and probably stopped them going into terminal decline and how do they thank him; force this ****-up of an idea on him. PLEASE, BILL GATES COME BACK!!

Mind you this will be an even numbered operating system, so we all know to avoid it like the plague:
Windows ME - Version 4.9
Windows Vista - Version 6.0
Windows 8 - Version 8.0

Windows 3.1 - Version 3.1
Windows XP - Version 5.1
Windows 7 - Version 7.0

So roll on WIndows 9.1, hopefully Windows 7 will be good until then.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Umm aren't we all on Windows 95? What's this XP and 7 you speak of?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 245

The early looks I got at Win 8 weren't that encouraging. Seems to me they are trying to make it look like a windows phone. Which, IMHO, is not a good thing. My son tried a Windows phone and hated it with a passion. I couldn't really argue with him.

Have you tried Ubuntu or another Linux based OS for your XP computer? Ubuntu will dual boot so you don't need to go cold turkey. Might be worth a look.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
The early looks I got at Win 8 weren't that encouraging. Seems to me they are trying to make it look like a windows phone. Which, IMHO, is not a good thing. My son tried a Windows phone and hated it with a passion. I couldn't really argue with him.

Have you tried Ubuntu or another Linux based OS for your XP computer? Ubuntu will dual boot so you don't need to go cold turkey. Might be worth a look.
I might! Downloading the 32 bit and will download the 64 bit versions.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Friend of mine that's an Alpha tester said it sucks.

Every other Win OS is decent

Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

I just installed the latest Linux MINT (based on Ubuntu) and it rocks. Clean, fast, intuitive, easy, and it recognizes everything (usb devices, etc.) ootb.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Have people already forgotten being charged full price for a flawed beta called vista? Screw windows.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #8

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

My computer has vista which is crap. I really like 95 & XP, even though they didn't come with a bunch of bells and whistles compared to today's software, they had all you really need.

-Matt

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
My computer has vista which is crap. I really like 95 & XP, even though they didn't come with a bunch of bells and whistles compared to today's software, they had all you really need.
I have one computer with XP (Used for older programs that are not functional on Windows 7) and have built 1 for Windows 7 (Using Internet Explorer 8). I have to stay with Explorer, the wife does not like firefox or Chrome!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I have one computer with XP (Used for older programs that are not functional on Windows 7) and have built 1 for Windows 7 (Using Internet Explorer 8). I have to stay with Explorer, the wife does not like firefox or Chrome!
Sorry, had to.
ie-demotivational_poster.jpg  
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman