Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Methinks they are looking too hard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/methinks-they-looking-too-hard-16688/)

orangello 08-08-2009 09:42 PM

Methinks they are looking too hard

I saw another report of a shooting at a gun range & thought the worst, until i read the article. It is sad that the guy accidentally got shot through the hand, but i wonder if this would've even been reported on a local station (much less CNN where i saw the link) before the more tragic recent incidents at a FL shooting range.

Employee Accidentally Shot In Hand At Gun Range - Local News Story - WESH Orlando
CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- A patron of Shoot Straight, a gun range in Casselberry, shot himself in the hand Friday, according to the Seminole County Fire Department.

The Casselberry Police Department said an employee was accidentally shot through the hand when he was trying to clear a jammed firearm. The 28-year-old man is in stable condition.

In recent weeks, there have been four fatal shootings at gun ranges and shops in Central Florida. Valentin Pepelea, 43, of Canada, shot himself in the head at Rieg's Gun Range on South Orange Blossom Trail. Before that, Marie Moore killed her 20-year-old son before shooting herself at the Shoot Straight Gun Range in Casselberry. Three weeks later, Jason McCarthy, 26, rented a 9 mm gun from the same Shoot Straight and killed himself. A woman also shot herself in a suicide attempt at an east Orange County gun range in June.

Check back for more details.

The article spends more time on the recent incidents than on the poor guy's oops.

BigByrd47119 08-08-2009 10:03 PM

I think perhaps too much emphasis is plased on the deaths but at the same time they do raise a valid point. There are people out there that are getting guns and they should be getting them! Case and point is the women who rented the gun and then tryed to kill herself. If she had a previously diagnosed mental illness, then she shouldnt have been able to rent the gun in the first place.

What im saying is perhaps these storys are giving insight to issues that should be taken care of. I do agree that the media attempts to lable all gun owners with these storys in a attempt to enact more gun control that we dont need!

orangello 08-08-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 (Post 141368)
There are people out there that are getting guns and they should be getting them!

I'm sure there are some, a tiny percentage IMO. In this case, it was a range employee clearing a jam in a gun that may very well have not even belonged to him or the range. He may have been just helping a customer.

BigByrd47119 08-08-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 141371)
In this case, it was a range employee clearing a jam in a gun that may very well have not even belonged to him or the range. He may have been just helping a customer.

I wasnt specific enough I guess, but I was refering to almost everyone else in that article but the gentelman who shot himself in the hand. (my specific refrence was to the man who rented the 9mm)

FCross7 08-09-2009 02:34 AM

Funny thing is, Shoot Straight is a chain of gun ranges near my house. None of the incidents happened at the one nearest my house that I usually go to though.

-Fred

gorknoids 08-09-2009 02:41 AM

They're just beating the "Guns Bad" drum.