A message brought to you by NSW Police
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A message brought to you by NSW Police

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default A message brought to you by NSW Police

Sitting on the bus today, I was half-watching one of those small TV screens up the front (usually gives info about timetable changes, ticketing etc). However, this one had a more 'public-safety' oriented messages on loop - from the "NSW Police & City of Sydney Council".

Now normally I'd ignore such bureaucratic 'we are only here to help' type spin campaigns, but this one brought me out of my apathy. I wondered what you guys in the US would think of such advice. Read:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING ROBBED!

* DO GIVE the offender whatever they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are not worth your life!
* TRY as hard as you can to remember what they looked like
* ATTEND a hospital emergency department as soon as possible if you have been assaulted
* REPORT all crimes to the Police

On the face of it, eminently sensible advice...which I think very few in Australia would have any argument with. And neither would I have, in the days before I considered the possibility of firearm-enhanced self defence.

(however theoretical that must remain!)

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If I was a criminal type I think I'd get a passport. Abd oine of those bags with dollar signs to haul off my loot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Do they say anything about carrying a brick in your back so you can smash his skull in while he is robbing you.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The number of highly cooperative victims is stunning. What do I mean by that?

"Give me your money"
(Hands money over- AND STANDS THERE WAITING FOR THE NEXT DEMAND)

as opposed to-
"Give me your money"
"Here- take it" (Tosses money on ground to one side, and then HAUL AZZ)

Deciding to fight back is one thing- not always wise at that moment- but for God's sake- DO NOT STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR ACT 2 OF THE PLAY!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Sitting on the bus today, I was half-watching one of those small TV screens up the front (usually gives info about timetable changes, ticketing etc). However, this one had a more 'public-safety' oriented messages on loop - from the "NSW Police & City of Sydney Council".

Now normally I'd ignore such bureaucratic 'we are only here to help' type spin campaigns, but this one brought me out of my apathy. I wondered what you guys in the US would think of such advice. Read:

* DO GIVE the offender whatever they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are not worth your life!
* ATTEND a hospital emergency department as soon as possible if you have been assaulted

On the face of it, eminently sensible advice...which I think very few in Australia would have any argument with. And neither would I have, in the days before I considered the possibility of firearm-enhanced self defence.

I can see it now:
What to do if you have a fire:
*Let your possessions go up in smoke, they are not worth risking your life for.
*Don't inhale the smoke.
*Report all fires to the Fire Department.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post

Are you permitted a steely glare or stern voice when dealing with the attacker or must you prostrate yourself or assume a passive stance? What happened to the Crocodile Dundee image in Australia anyway?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I like this better

* DO GIVE the offender what they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are worth their life!
* Don't bother to remember what they looked like, 2 .45auto 230 Gr. to the face and their look wont matter anyway.
* Don't semd them to the hospital emergency department, send them to the morgue

Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Do they say anything about carrying a brick in your back so you can smash his skull in while he is robbing you.
That might depend if he is threatening you with anything that 'trumps' a brick, tango. But you'd have to explain why you were in public armed with "an offensive weapon" ie one brick lol

Wouldn't go down too well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Are you permitted a steely glare or stern voice when dealing with the attacker or must you prostrate yourself or assume a passive stance? What happened to the Crocodile Dundee image in Australia anyway?
That "image" may have been more applicable years ago, when we were still allowed to legally have some balls. Ironic since Australians tend to think of themselves as fairly 'anti-authority'

Carrying THIS would be enough to get you a decent stretch inside, and no mistake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I like this better

* DO GIVE the offender what they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are worth their life!
* Don't bother to remember what they looked like, 2 .45auto 230 Gr. to the face and their look wont matter anyway.

God I'd love to hack into the bus vid system and replace it with that

priceless, opaww.

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #9

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I like this better

And then, there's always this response:

Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That Shatner-awesomeness never gets old

Quote: