Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   A message brought to you by NSW Police (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/message-brought-you-nsw-police-28803/)

zhuk 06-28-2010 08:38 AM

A message brought to you by NSW Police

Sitting on the bus today, I was half-watching one of those small TV screens up the front (usually gives info about timetable changes, ticketing etc). However, this one had a more 'public-safety' oriented messages on loop - from the "NSW Police & City of Sydney Council".

Now normally I'd ignore such bureaucratic 'we are only here to help' type spin campaigns, but this one brought me out of my apathy. I wondered what you guys in the US would think of such advice. Read:

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BEING ROBBED!

* DO GIVE the offender whatever they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are not worth your life!
* TRY as hard as you can to remember what they looked like
* ATTEND a hospital emergency department as soon as possible if you have been assaulted
* REPORT all crimes to the Police

On the face of it, eminently sensible advice...which I think very few in Australia would have any argument with. And neither would I have, in the days before I considered the possibility of firearm-enhanced self defence.

(however theoretical that must remain!)

DrumJunkie 06-28-2010 09:06 AM

If I was a criminal type I think I'd get a passport. Abd oine of those bags with dollar signs to haul off my loot.:rolleyes:

cpttango30 06-28-2010 11:02 AM

Do they say anything about carrying a brick in your back so you can smash his skull in while he is robbing you.

c3shooter 06-28-2010 12:10 PM

The number of highly cooperative victims is stunning. What do I mean by that?

"Give me your money"
(Hands money over- AND STANDS THERE WAITING FOR THE NEXT DEMAND)

as opposed to-
"Give me your money"
"Here- take it" (Tosses money on ground to one side, and then HAUL AZZ)

Deciding to fight back is one thing- not always wise at that moment- but for God's sake- DO NOT STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR ACT 2 OF THE PLAY!

danf_fl 06-28-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhuk (Post 307271)
Sitting on the bus today, I was half-watching one of those small TV screens up the front (usually gives info about timetable changes, ticketing etc). However, this one had a more 'public-safety' oriented messages on loop - from the "NSW Police & City of Sydney Council".

Now normally I'd ignore such bureaucratic 'we are only here to help' type spin campaigns, but this one brought me out of my apathy. I wondered what you guys in the US would think of such advice. Read:

* DO GIVE the offender whatever they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are not worth your life!
* ATTEND a hospital emergency department as soon as possible if you have been assaulted

On the face of it, eminently sensible advice...which I think very few in Australia would have any argument with. And neither would I have, in the days before I considered the possibility of firearm-enhanced self defence.

I can see it now:
What to do if you have a fire:
*Let your possessions go up in smoke, they are not worth risking your life for.
*Don't inhale the smoke.
*Report all fires to the Fire Department.

Jpyle 06-28-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhuk (Post 307271)

Are you permitted a steely glare or stern voice when dealing with the attacker or must you prostrate yourself or assume a passive stance? What happened to the Crocodile Dundee image in Australia anyway?

opaww 06-28-2010 01:35 PM

I like this better

* DO GIVE the offender what they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are worth their life!
* Don't bother to remember what they looked like, 2 .45auto 230 Gr. to the face and their look wont matter anyway.
* Don't semd them to the hospital emergency department, send them to the morgue

zhuk 06-29-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 307283)
Do they say anything about carrying a brick in your back so you can smash his skull in while he is robbing you.

That might depend if he is threatening you with anything that 'trumps' a brick, tango. But you'd have to explain why you were in public armed with "an offensive weapon" ie one brick lol

Wouldn't go down too well :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 307331)
Are you permitted a steely glare or stern voice when dealing with the attacker or must you prostrate yourself or assume a passive stance? What happened to the Crocodile Dundee image in Australia anyway?

That "image" may have been more applicable years ago, when we were still allowed to legally have some balls. Ironic since Australians tend to think of themselves as fairly 'anti-authority' :rolleyes:

Carrying THIS would be enough to get you a decent stretch inside, and no mistake:

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy...-a-knife11.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 307334)
I like this better

* DO GIVE the offender what they are asking for - your money &/or possessions are worth their life!
* Don't bother to remember what they looked like, 2 .45auto 230 Gr. to the face and their look wont matter anyway.

God I'd love to hack into the bus vid system and replace it with that :D

priceless, opaww.

AcidFlashGordon 06-29-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 307334)
I like this better

And then, there's always this response:

zhuk 06-30-2010 01:16 AM

That Shatner-awesomeness never gets old :D