Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Medical retirement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Default Medical retirement

I am receiving my last set of orders from the army today I am going to start clearing and terminal leave I am officially retiring soon this is one of the happiest days ever

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You'll miss it. Like a tooth ache, but you'll miss it none the less. Retired June 10'. Good luck on the next stage in life.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

My last day is feb 27 2012 and it will be official retired at the age of 23

Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Thank you for your service. You deserve only The Best!

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Some advice from an old soldier- there are counseling and career placement services that may be available to you. At age 23, you are not going to be retired from life. DO use those services.

Look around. Is there a school you may be interested in? Or at least a few classes? Don't know how much more healing up you have before you, but is there something you can do to talk with your brothers (and sisters) that are just starting the trip you are finishing?

Bottom line- have you given any thought to what you want to do in your NEXT life? There is an entire world waiting for you. Go get it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #6

I still have 1 more surgery that they are making me do through the VA but when that's done I'm gonna go to school for gun smithing I have looked at a few different schools but when that is done I want to move back to Texas and my wife and I are gonna open a gun shop but C3 those things are mandatory now they make you talk to those people before you get out I am making alot of plans for when I get out and I'm excited first things first no more SHAVING gonna be grizzly Adams for awhile I also wouldn't mind getting in to carpentry as far as furniture and what not as a hobby

Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 AM   #7

Liked 1757 Times on 1127 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Woody, Like c3 said, use EVERY service the VA offers you! You have worked for it son. Good luck to you and your family.
And by the way, enjoy the facial pubes. Mine started May 14, 1976, and are still in place. Of course the Griz look is long gone. I now trim it every two weeks with a #1.
If only my pate was so fortunate..
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm assuming this has something to do with your avatar pic. Gunsmithing and hobby carpentry may be a good field. Shouldn't be too awfully physically demanding.

Best of luck to you, and glad to hear you have a plan. I thought a Marine would be able to walk right into just about any job, I learned right quick I was dead wrong. I left the service with the idea "get a job" and haven't had a steady one since, and I have never quit or been fired for wrongdoing or performance.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 1757 Times on 1127 Posts
Likes Given: 902

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm assuming this has something to do with your avatar pic. Gunsmithing and hobby carpentry may be a good field. Shouldn't be too awfully physically demanding.

Best of luck to you, and glad to hear you have a plan. I thought a Marine would be able to walk right into just about any job, I learned right quick I was dead wrong. I left the service with the idea "get a job" and haven't had a steady one since, and I have never quit or been fired for wrongdoing or performance.

Most of the guys I know that got out and found jobs have been able to go into IT jobs. Imagine a dinosaur like me looking for work.
Also, on a personal level, I've found that being former military can be a hinderance in a corporate type enviroment. You look at a job and say "I can do this in X amount of time.", they say "You can't do that, it has to go through X,Y,Z, and be approved by J,K,andL, then submitted to H. then you'll do it this way."
We always joke about the service, the inefficentcy, the hurry up and wait attitude, but when you get out you realize it wasn't that inefficient compared to a corp. It's a very hard adjustment going to the world from the military.

Last edited by boatme98; 12-24-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

While you are healing, if you want to open a business, find a community college, and go talk to a counselor about BUSINESS courses. Yeah, I know, not as sexy as working on guns, but consider this:

About 90% of new businesses FAIL in the first year. Not because you did not know how to paint, or fix cars, or trim hedges- but because you did not know crap about bookeeping, taxes, figuring markup on goods, etc. In other words, how to run a business.

How about what a limited liability corporation is, and what insurance on "Goods of others in your care and custody"? Premises liability insurance? what do you depreciate for taxes- and what is depreciation? Uncle Sam is gonna want his tax dollars on your profits, you capitalist, you.

Just some food for thought.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt