as is means as is! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > as is means as is!

View Poll Results: you just sold a gun 'as is' no inspection period. what would you do?
too bad so sad. 26 50.98%
tell him to put in a claim. 24 47.06%
work with him. feel his pain and offer a partial refund. 1 1.96%
take back the gun and suck up the loss as yours. 1 1.96%
shake your head in disbelief knowing someone would try such a thing. 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Ski- gun is his- hope he enjoys it. As far as shipper- if the shipment was insured, it covered the SHIPPER- (dat be you), and you would need to contact the carrier to start the claim process.

May of those claims are being processed by Crawford & Company (a 3rd party adminstrator) who will claim inadequate packing, preexisiting, yada yada yada (bottom line- they ar not going to pay unless you have video of the UPS drivers gnaming on the stock).

UNLESS a gun is misrepresented (IF you said it is a 28g- it is a 20) AND the gun is sold as is, no returns, etc- it is his. If payment was by a credit card, expect him to try to contest the charges. Be sure to save any emails, auction description, etc etc.

I have had ONE gun that I bought remotely, and advised seller he WOULD be taking it back- SN (not shown in auction photo) had been ground off. Advised he had a choice- pay for return shipping, and refund ALL of my money, or I would deliver the revolver to my local BATF branch, since it was contraband.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

Liked 706 Times on 551 Posts

yep. doesnt get any simpler than that.

you know...if there was a shadow of a doubt on the day he received it and looked at it, i might have worked with him. but........he waited a week. i cant be responsible for what goes on after its delivered....for a week!
there has been only one other deal i had go sour and it was 13 years ago. im very detailed in my advertisements. some guy bought a gun with 100's of pics sent....but decided to buy the gun and then....tell me the wood was mismatched in color. this is a common ploy. get the gun in you hands and then try to widdle you down for something. once again, it was as is.....
13 years later, someone tries it again.
as a gun dealer you must see the same things i see here.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Ski- to correct a possible misconception- am not a dealer. Hobbyist collector, shooter, hunter.

But I have to deal with people- and some are weirder than sox on a duck.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #14

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
just had a cornpone try to demand money back from a private gun sale that happened a week ago.
a real nice browning. NIB. never fired. never assembled. flawless. i even had judge remarks written on it when it won a trophy at the tulsa gun show. had pics, documentation. etc. i advertised no insp period allowed. as is.
it was that good a gun.
guns of this level can not be allowed a 3 day insp. people tend to assemble them, shoot them, ruin them, and then demand money back. ive dealt with this kind of buyer before and learned to protect myself.

so after 10 or so emails, he pays. i look it over first, make sure alls well, double pack it in a box in a box for security. i send with full insurance. i remind him in emails that its out of my hands and in the carriers posession. done deal.

he calls a week ago saying he got it. fine.

today, all of a sudden, the guy demands money back saying the gun was flawed and demands refund.

no way. gun was perfect. the gun obviously got a rub in shipment. hes claiming a 1/4" smudge marred the top of the alloy receiver. gun was in factory wax paper inside the factory styrofoam box, inside the factory shipping box, inside my shipping box.

i explained to him its a claim issue now. and im very sorry.

key points in his emails...he said he was looking forward to assembling it and putting it in his gun collection in his cabinet.
i warned him not to. he laughed.

there seems to be a cloud cast over the gun realm. i had 3 gun deals in 3 weeks have hitches. im batting 1000 for weird people and guns. whats going on?

so take the poll......put yourself in my shoes.....what would you do next?
Well, you didn't say how you sold it- Gunbroker?
There is pretty much a understood 3 day NON FIRING inspection period for any gun sale i've ever been involved in--
Unless the box shows visible damage in the area of the "smudge" forget insurance claims--------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #15

not on an auction.
private ad.
and 3 day inspections are not required on any item by law.
as is, IS the terms.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2127 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 769

I had a very similar situation in a non-gun related business years back. I learned to make sure all terms are very clearly documented up front. Your's sounds pretty clear. If it gets messy, photos might help next time.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #17

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
not on an auction.
private ad.
Quote:
and 3 day inspections are not required on any item by law.
as is, IS the terms.
Nope--you're right----
Gud luck-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #18

Liked 735 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 785

I just have to ask where in the hell can you buy a brand new unassembled gun???!!! Ive never even heard of such a thing??!! Why would the company do that, it seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if somebody puts their new gun together wrong or its missing a part or something...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I've had a lot of similar issues lately. I'm at the point now where I have an all sales are final GFY attitude. I had a guy try to return a custom 300 blk the other day because he can't get ammo. Nobody can get ammo right now. GFY!!

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

trez...it was a new in the box, never assembled out of the box gun. the bbl was stored above the rest. thus, its known as unassembled.
its like you buy a gun, open the box, look at it, close the box and never use it. this gun in question was like that...since 1971. better known a mint.
ya know..like a new uncirculated coin from the u.s mint?

3500.00-nib-20wt-skeet.jpg  

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 01-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.