as is means as is!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > as is means as is!

View Poll Results: you just sold a gun 'as is' no inspection period. what would you do?
too bad so sad. 26 50.98%
tell him to put in a claim. 24 47.06%
work with him. feel his pain and offer a partial refund. 1 1.96%
take back the gun and suck up the loss as yours. 1 1.96%
shake your head in disbelief knowing someone would try such a thing. 5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 754 Times on 588 Posts

Default as is means as is!

just had a cornpone try to demand money back from a private gun sale that happened a week ago.
a real nice browning. NIB. never fired. never assembled. flawless. i even had judge remarks written on it when it won a trophy at the tulsa gun show. had pics, documentation. etc. i advertised no insp period allowed. as is.
it was that good a gun.
guns of this level can not be allowed a 3 day insp. people tend to assemble them, shoot them, ruin them, and then demand money back. ive dealt with this kind of buyer before and learned to protect myself.

so after 10 or so emails, he pays. i look it over first, make sure alls well, double pack it in a box in a box for security. i send with full insurance. i remind him in emails that its out of my hands and in the carriers posession. done deal.

he calls a week ago saying he got it. fine.

today, all of a sudden, the guy demands money back saying the gun was flawed and demands refund.

no way. gun was perfect. the gun obviously got a rub in shipment. hes claiming a 1/4" smudge marred the top of the alloy receiver. gun was in factory wax paper inside the factory styrofoam box, inside the factory shipping box, inside my shipping box.

i explained to him its a claim issue now. and im very sorry.

key points in his emails...he said he was looking forward to assembling it and putting it in his gun collection in his cabinet.
i warned him not to. he laughed.

there seems to be a cloud cast over the gun realm. i had 3 gun deals in 3 weeks have hitches. im batting 1000 for weird people and guns. whats going on?

so take the poll......put yourself in my shoes.....what would you do next?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Last edited by bobski; 01-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
i explained to him its a claim issue now. and im very sorry.

key points in his emails...he said he was looking forward to assembling it and putting it in his gun collection in his cabinet.
i warned him not to. he laughed.

there seems to be a cloud cast over the gun realm. i had 3 gun deals in 3 weeks have hitches. im batting 1000 for weird people and guns. whats going on?
Agreed, is claim against shipper now.

Why should he not assemble the gun? Or are you saying he may have marred it when assembling it?

I wonder if this cloud is related to a large number of relatively rookie firearms owners buying firearms they may not have researched thoroughly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3306 Times on 1861 Posts
Likes Given: 18894

I get smudges on my Bluing all the time by handling them!
Define "Smudge"! Probably from wax paper!......(WAX).?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

looks like someone took the gun and put a eraser to it and took off the anodizing down to white in a 1/4" area.

unassembled guns to collectors bring premiums.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2963 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

You must have pictures of it.
Ask him to supply you with pictures of rub mark and compare.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #6

he did. it happened in shipment.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Anything that happens in transit falls on the shipping company. I'd tell the guy he should have inspected it before he signed off or took possession of the package and that you are not liable for any damages due to improper handling. Then I would politely tell him to piss off.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Too bad, if he has an issue then it is with the shipping company. The gun is not worthless at this point, and if he was going to reduce its value by assembling it (personally I would never purchase a gun without full intention of firing it- a lot) then he was buying it with the full knowledge he was paying more for it than it was going to be worth in his collection.

Maybe offer to send him a Magic Marker so he can "touch it up".

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

okay here's my take on this. Bobski the guy is an idiot!

it took him a week to find the flaw? not hardly. he knew it was there and quite possibly the shipping company told him to pound sand and he's no trying to get you to foot the bill.

as is, means as is! period. he bought it under those conditions, so it's his problem. also his problem if he doesn't read your conditions of the auction.

i don't think i would buy an extremely high dollar collectable firearm without a hands on inspection or at least one by someone independent of the buyer if i couldn't do myself. he bought the shotgun based on photos, under the conditions you listed, noticed it had a scratch, possibly tried to get the shipping company to reimburse him, and he wants you to refund his money? Tough S**t is what i'd tell him. you are under no obligation to do anything further.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #10

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I have them sign this form (link) basically says 'as is'. Sold two in the last couple of weeks and used this form.http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/3241-firearm-bill-sale-free-use.html

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.