Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   as is means as is! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/means-82523/)

bobski 01-26-2013 08:28 PM

as is means as is!

just had a cornpone try to demand money back from a private gun sale that happened a week ago.
a real nice browning. NIB. never fired. never assembled. flawless. i even had judge remarks written on it when it won a trophy at the tulsa gun show. had pics, documentation. etc. i advertised no insp period allowed. as is.
it was that good a gun.
guns of this level can not be allowed a 3 day insp. people tend to assemble them, shoot them, ruin them, and then demand money back. ive dealt with this kind of buyer before and learned to protect myself.

so after 10 or so emails, he pays. i look it over first, make sure alls well, double pack it in a box in a box for security. i send with full insurance. i remind him in emails that its out of my hands and in the carriers posession. done deal.

he calls a week ago saying he got it. fine.

today, all of a sudden, the guy demands money back saying the gun was flawed and demands refund.

no way. gun was perfect. the gun obviously got a rub in shipment. hes claiming a 1/4" smudge marred the top of the alloy receiver. gun was in factory wax paper inside the factory styrofoam box, inside the factory shipping box, inside my shipping box.

i explained to him its a claim issue now. and im very sorry.

key points in his emails...he said he was looking forward to assembling it and putting it in his gun collection in his cabinet.
i warned him not to. he laughed.

there seems to be a cloud cast over the gun realm. i had 3 gun deals in 3 weeks have hitches. im batting 1000 for weird people and guns. whats going on?

so take the poll......put yourself in my shoes.....what would you do next?

orangello 01-26-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1111268)
i explained to him its a claim issue now. and im very sorry.

key points in his emails...he said he was looking forward to assembling it and putting it in his gun collection in his cabinet.
i warned him not to. he laughed.

there seems to be a cloud cast over the gun realm. i had 3 gun deals in 3 weeks have hitches. im batting 1000 for weird people and guns. whats going on?

Agreed, is claim against shipper now.

Why should he not assemble the gun? Or are you saying he may have marred it when assembling it?

I wonder if this cloud is related to a large number of relatively rookie firearms owners buying firearms they may not have researched thoroughly.

dango 01-26-2013 09:20 PM

I get smudges on my Bluing all the time by handling them!
Define "Smudge"! Probably from wax paper!......(WAX).?:confused:

bobski 01-26-2013 09:29 PM

looks like someone took the gun and put a eraser to it and took off the anodizing down to white in a 1/4" area.

unassembled guns to collectors bring premiums.

danf_fl 01-27-2013 12:37 AM

You must have pictures of it.
Ask him to supply you with pictures of rub mark and compare.

bobski 01-27-2013 02:30 AM

he did. it happened in shipment.

Devin556 01-27-2013 02:39 AM

Anything that happens in transit falls on the shipping company. I'd tell the guy he should have inspected it before he signed off or took possession of the package and that you are not liable for any damages due to improper handling. Then I would politely tell him to piss off.

Vikingdad 01-27-2013 02:42 AM

Too bad, if he has an issue then it is with the shipping company. The gun is not worthless at this point, and if he was going to reduce its value by assembling it (personally I would never purchase a gun without full intention of firing it- a lot) then he was buying it with the full knowledge he was paying more for it than it was going to be worth in his collection.

Maybe offer to send him a Magic Marker so he can "touch it up".:p

Axxe55 01-27-2013 03:02 AM

okay here's my take on this. Bobski the guy is an idiot!

it took him a week to find the flaw? not hardly. he knew it was there and quite possibly the shipping company told him to pound sand and he's no trying to get you to foot the bill.

as is, means as is! period. he bought it under those conditions, so it's his problem. also his problem if he doesn't read your conditions of the auction.

i don't think i would buy an extremely high dollar collectable firearm without a hands on inspection or at least one by someone independent of the buyer if i couldn't do myself. he bought the shotgun based on photos, under the conditions you listed, noticed it had a scratch, possibly tried to get the shipping company to reimburse him, and he wants you to refund his money? Tough S**t is what i'd tell him. you are under no obligation to do anything further.

Sonic82 01-27-2013 03:19 AM

I have them sign this form (link) basically says 'as is'. Sold two in the last couple of weeks and used this form.http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/3241-firearm-bill-sale-free-use.html