Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is it me or are Holidays getting out of control?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

My kids have never believed in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. We have always told them the true meaning of both holidays. We give gifts for Christmas. But Easter is not about giving gifts in my book. We dont do eggs. We dont do candy. I will not take the glory of God and give it to someone that doesnt even exhist.

Easter did not start as a Christian holiday. We adapted it to suit our needs. It started as a pagen holiday about fertility. There was a god involved. But not the real one. Fertility is where the egg and the rabbit came from. But we (Christians) changed the meaning of the egg to "New Life" because of the resurection.

We will all be getting to gether with family to celebrate. The real celebration...not the pagan one. My mom always invites us to an Easter Egg hunt. But we dont really care for it.,

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #12

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Watch out he might call the cops for you buying them a bb gun

Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #13

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't mean to try and start an argument over this, nor do I mean to hijack this thread in any way. I'd also just like to say that I do not have a religion at all, that's for personal reasons that do seem to offend people. But do you not see it as a little rude or harsh to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
There was a god involved. But not the real one.
?

The reason I'm asking is that religions are supposed to be about loving and caring about everyone equally and not 'bashing' on the beliefs of others. It would be like me looking at you and saying "yeah, your god? He's fake and never existed at all". To most of you that are of the Christian faith, that would be like fighting words.

I will say this, not many Christians would admit that Easter was adopted from another religion.

(I don't mean to say you where bashing on the beliefs of pegans, I just couldn't think of a better way of saying it.)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The most memorable gift I got in an Easter basket as a small boy was a brand-new baseball. Once. Big stuff in the 1940's (I'm a high-mileage '37 model).

My kids are 48 and 46, and I guess I didn't realize Easter gift-giving had gone so far overboard. Another manifestation of how ruthless marketing is screwing up our alleged culture.

But consider this terrifying fact: in terms of spending, Halloween is now almost up there with Christmas!

Another mash-up of Christian and pagan festivals gone completely commercial.

But happy Easter and Passover anyway, everybody. That wish is a gift I can always afford to give, and I do mean it.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I don't mean to try and start an argument over this, nor do I mean to hijack this thread in any way. I'd also just like to say that I do not have a religion at all, that's for personal reasons that do seem to offend people. But do you not see it as a little rude or harsh to say ?

The reason I'm asking is that religions are supposed to be about loving and caring about everyone equally and not 'bashing' on the beliefs of others. It would be like me looking at you and saying "yeah, your god? He's fake and never existed at all". To most of you that are of the Christian faith, that would be like fighting words.

I will say this, not many Christians would admit that Easter was adopted from another religion.

(I don't mean to say you where bashing on the beliefs of pegans, I just couldn't think of a better way of saying it.)
Actually many of our Christian holidays where placed in Pagan holidays a long time ago to aid in conversion of the masses. Bare in mind that the older of the monotheistic religions (Judaism ) has very different holidays...Even after weeding out the Chgristian ones. But they also unlike the Catholic church in days of yore did not go out to convert the savages.

I do like to remember the reason for the season but I see no wrong in having a little fun for the kids at the same time. I think there is room for an Easter egg hunt and church on Sunday. I can also enjoy Santa and remember the day we celebrate the birth of the Christian Messiah. Another holiday moved to aid in converting those pesky pagans. But I am reminded fairly often that I'm not a "good Christian" because I do not attempt to prosthletise for God. I believe ones faith is personal. and I honestly don't care if people worship like me or bow to a head of lettuce. I don't care for the Flying Spaghetti Monster though. I think it's that I don't look all that good in pirate duds

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6762 Times on 4086 Posts
Likes Given: 8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
Dont get me wrong i like a good "eat anything i want" holiday, but the spending has gone out the window!

Ok lets take Easter for example, (Happy Easter by the way Back when i was a kid (which wasnt to long ago in the 80s) what i got for easter usually consisted of a basket with plastic hay, maybe a balsa plane,somthing homemade and a solid wabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickenmeimirish View Post
Same here.. (mid/late80s/early 90s) we got an easter basket w/ fake hay, chocolate bunny, peeps, cadbury eggs, ect. And a single toy, usually a styrofoam plane, kite, or squirt gun.. bought from the dollar store. And were as happy as can be! I dont get this every holiday is xmas and we need presents BS!
Same here. I remember the most fun was my brother and I would take the cellophane that the basket was wrapped in and lay it flat on the living room carpet. Then we would run a couple steps and jump on the cellophane and slide across the carpeting. It was so fun. I don't even remember my Mom telling us to 'cut it out we were going to get hurt'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I have to admit I miss the days when I would see at all the pretty dressed girls and women that wore their Easter bonnet/hats. Hats for women are not so cool these days I guess.
I agree. It a very special dress up day for us girls. We always had new dresses, new shoes, a patent leather purse (even as children) and a straw Easter bonnet. You would not have gone to church in anything but your new Easter dress.

My daughter bought an Easter bonnet for her daughter but she had a hard time finding one.