Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Is it me or are Holidays getting out of control? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/me-holidays-getting-out-control-87878/)

CapnJack 03-31-2013 12:11 PM

Is it me or are Holidays getting out of control?

Dont get me wrong i like a good "eat anything i want" holiday, but the spending has gone out the window!

Ok lets take Easter for example, (Happy Easter by the way :) Back when i was a kid (which wasnt to long ago in the 80s) what i got for easter usually consisted of a basket with plastic hay, maybe a balsa plane,somthing homemade and a solid wabbit.

Nowadays? Its another freakin X-mas! Folks rollin outta wallyworld with droves of bikes and carts fulla toys!
I hate to say it, but i gotta vent somewhere lol. I got into a relationship witha girl that has a 9 and 13 old girls,(i live with all girls,even the cat) and every Easter she goes waaaay overboard in my book. Last year this actually started a arguement. Pisses me off.

On the bright side, I get to give them there 1st BB guns and teach um the right way before their Dbag father does.

My Easter rant is over! I do hope you guys enjoy the holiday =)

steadyshot 03-31-2013 12:26 PM

When I was young I would get an Easter Basket full of chocolate and bubble gum.

Nowadays, Easter is more of a family get together celebration over a good meal.

eatmydust 03-31-2013 12:27 PM

Out of control? TOTALLY!!

I keep hearing from my wife, how hard it is to keep "one upping" last years Christmas dinner, gifts, etc. I keep harping (and I do mean harping) on her to simplify, simplify, K.I.S.S. I've threatened to have only a birthday cake that says "Happy Birthday Jesus" and coffee for our celebration.

In today's consumer/advertising driven world, it can become difficult to focus on the true, deeper meanings of our holidays and celebrations. Take time today to explain and reflect on why we celebrate Easter, Passover, whichever holiday you observe. Enjoy the secular aspects but don't neglect the true reasons for the observation.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover to All!!

God bless you and your families!!!

WebleyFosbery38 03-31-2013 12:44 PM

So many just plain forget the reason for the season, sad that Jesus plays second fiddle to an egg hunt, candy and toys. The White House furrowed workers for the sequester but didnt cancel the Easter Egg Hunt...

mountainman13 03-31-2013 12:57 PM

Why does the easter bunny hide his eggs?
He doesn't want anyone to know he is banging a chicken.
Hide the eggs, Jesus is coming???

MisterMcCool 03-31-2013 01:05 PM

I never got how rabbits and eggs are associated with resurrection. This is a weird holiday.

DrumJunkie 03-31-2013 01:07 PM

I had a reply on a post on my Facebook last night asking why I would want to post happy tidings about a holiday that glorifies the death of someone I say I hold so dear.
I replied to him that I don't celibate the death...It was that he had risen.:)

I've seen people too that seem to want to turn it into Xmas 2 the reanimation. I have no idea why they do it. My kids got a basket and we colored eggs. My daughter seems to be doing what she can to remember the reason for the season as a Sunday school teacher. She's been doing it for a few years now. Not bad for a 22 year old girl :)

I have to admit I miss the days when I would see at all the pretty dressed girls and women that wore their Easter bonnet/hats. Hats for women are not so cool these days I guess.:(

rockratt 03-31-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1197871)
I had a reply on a post on my Facebook last night asking why I would want to post happy tidings about a holiday that glorifies the death of someone I say I hold so dear.
I replied to him that I don't celibate the death...It was that he had risen.:)

I've seen people too that seem to want to turn it into Xmas 2 the reanimation. I have no idea why they do it. My kids got a basket and we colored eggs. My daughter seems to be doing what she can to remember the reason for the season as a Sunday school teacher. She's been doing it for a few years now. Not bad for a 22 year old girl :)

I have to admit I miss the days when I would see at all the pretty dressed girls and women that wore their Easter bonnet/hats. Hats for women are not so cool these days I guess.:(

We were talking at work how it came to be known as good Friday????

At our local Wally World you would have thought it was Christmas all last week.

KJG67 03-31-2013 01:26 PM

http://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ

fickenmeimirish 03-31-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnJack (Post 1197831)
Dont get me wrong i like a good "eat anything i want" holiday, but the spending has gone out the window!

Ok lets take Easter for example, (Happy Easter by the way :) Back when i was a kid (which wasnt to long ago in the 80s) what i got for easter usually consisted of a basket with plastic hay, maybe a balsa plane,somthing homemade and a solid wabbit.

Nowadays? Its another freakin X-mas! Folks rollin outta wallyworld with droves of bikes and carts fulla toys!
I hate to say it, but i gotta vent somewhere lol. I got into a relationship witha girl that has a 9 and 13 old girls,(i live with all girls,even the cat) and every Easter she goes waaaay overboard in my book. Last year this actually started a arguement. Pisses me off.

On the bright side, I get to give them there 1st BB guns and teach um the right way before their Dbag father does.

My Easter rant is over! I do hope you guys enjoy the holiday =)

Same here.. (mid/late80s/early 90s) we got an easter basket w/ fake hay, chocolate bunny, peeps, cadbury eggs, ect. And a single toy, usually a styrofoam plane, kite, or squirt gun.. bought from the dollar store. And were as happy as can be! I dont get this every holiday is xmas and we need presents BS!