May as hop on the band wagon: Ask a Southern Male - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > May as hop on the band wagon: Ask a Southern Male

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
I was born and raised in North Carolina. My hobbies have let me travel all over the easy coast. I have found the only difference in northerners and southerners is accent. There are rednecks,*******s,and freaking know It all's in both places. There are a lot of nice folks too. The problems I see are stereotypes. We all think of a negative or positive stereotype about people before we ever meet them.
Exactly. Ayn Rand observed that prejudice is a form of collectivism: you lump people in a category, ignoring their differences as individuals. And stereotyping is the first step to prejudice. I have lapsed more times than I can remember, but better now.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #42
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Exactly. Ayn Rand observed that prejudice is a form of collectivism: you lump people in a category, ignoring their differences as individuals. And stereotyping is the first step to prejudice. I have lapsed more times than I can remember, but better now.
I think thats very true, not only is it generally wrong to try to group like things, it gets us in big trouble doing so. Kinda like trying to identify minorities in America when there literally are very few that deserve that status seeing as how they live in the biggest melting pot in the world. They still use the WASP acronym like it matters.

We do like categories and hate things not to be grouped. Thats caused more problems than it ever fixed. I served with lots of southerners and some that would call Texas a Northern region (South Americans), few actually exuded any exclusive regional characteristics other than weather tolerance and an accent that generally wasnt all that identifiable. Hell, Im a New Yorker but I dont sound anything like those from Brooklyn or The Bronx nor do we experience daily life anything the same way. I have much more in common with JD and TLuk than I do with 8 million others that call themselves New Yorkers.

TLuk, trust me when I say I do have my share of joy and fun in life, it just isnt what others may call that much fun. I gave up being all that social years ago after being ultra social up to my early 30's. A joyful day for me is Grandkids hanging around the house and me working on one of my many house restorative projects (190 year old, 45oo sq ft home we bought 12 years ago that was a few years from the wrecking ball). Ive spent the last 6 months rebuilding 3 more rooms in our home from nearly chicken coop conditions to nearly pristine. Its mostly been lots of fun and its also a separate Retirement Account of sorts we will be able to fall back on if we live that long.

Truthfully, Ive found that nearly anything that can go bad will be just after an interaction with another human. I do my best to avoid interacting with people that arent allowed in my purple circle!

Heres what I loved about the South while I lived there during training (Ft Gordon GA)-

-Southern Fried Chicken, Okra, Beans and Rice, Pecan Pie

-Days in February that I could step outside without 4 layers of clothing,

-Generally very friendly and respectful people as long as you stepped out of the military villes and centers

-Very different architecture and vistas that I hadnt experienced close up and personal, just seen on TV.

-Citizens that take Pride in their regional roots and their nation, not apologists that want to prove something to people that have been dead 100+ years.

Those are things I find greatly lacking overall in the north even though thats not so true in our rural regions (9/10ths of NY land mass but only 30% of the states population).

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 05-21-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #43

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, being from South Louisiana, y'all are all Northerners to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts

Webley, you sound like a person who is true to himself and others.

Not sure what it takes to get into your "Purple Circle" but you come across as someone that I'd be proud to call a friend and join that circle one day. Guess you had me at red beans, rice and okra!

If you're ever in NC, let me know. I'd enjoy meeting you and showing you around. NC is not too different from GA. We both have mountains and beaches as well as a lot of military 'villes. Also some cities that are trying to be bigger than they really are (sorry Atlanta, no disrespect intended but ATL is no Houston or Chicago but you do have one hell of a traffic problem).

Even though I know everyone's home is where their heart is, NC is a great place to be from. Seems like I never meet anyone who frowns on me when I tell the I'm from North Cackalacky!

Roads less traveled...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #45
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I spent a good deal of time in the South & Southwest when vacationing for Uncle Shumel....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 151

All these " ask " threads,,,, maybe " Ask a Sothern, Drunk, Hebrew, Male, named WilAxDang ",,,, these are pretty good though.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I think thats very true, not only is it generally wrong to try to group like things, it gets us in big trouble doing so. Kinda like trying to identify minorities in America when there literally are very few that deserve that status seeing as how they live in the biggest melting pot in the world. They still use the WASP acronym like it matters.

We do like categories and hate things not to be grouped. Thats caused more problems than it ever fixed. I served with lots of southerners and some that would call Texas a Northern region (South Americans), few actually exuded any exclusive regional characteristics other than weather tolerance and an accent that generally wasnt all that identifiable. Hell, Im a New Yorker but I dont sound anything like those from Brooklyn or The Bronx nor do we experience daily life anything the same way. I have much more in common with JD and TLuk than I do with 8 million others that call themselves New Yorkers.

TLuk, trust me when I say I do have my share of joy and fun in life, it just isnt what others may call that much fun. I gave up being all that social years ago after being ultra social up to my early 30's. A joyful day for me is Grandkids hanging around the house and me working on one of my many house restorative projects (190 year old, 45oo sq ft home we bought 12 years ago that was a few years from the wrecking ball). Ive spent the last 6 months rebuilding 3 more rooms in our home from nearly chicken coop conditions to nearly pristine. Its mostly been lots of fun and its also a separate Retirement Account of sorts we will be able to fall back on if we live that long.

Truthfully, Ive found that nearly anything that can go bad will be just after an interaction with another human. I do my best to avoid interacting with people that arent allowed in my purple circle!

Heres what I loved about the South while I lived there during training (Ft Gordon GA)-

-Southern Fried Chicken, Okra, Beans and Rice, Pecan Pie

-Days in February that I could step outside without 4 layers of clothing,

-Generally very friendly and respectful people as long as you stepped out of the military villes and centers

-Very different architecture and vistas that I hadnt experienced close up and personal, just seen on TV.

-Citizens that take Pride in their regional roots and their nation, not apologists that want to prove something to people that have been dead 100+ years.

Those are things I find greatly lacking overall in the north even though thats not so true in our rural regions (9/10ths of NY land mass but only 30% of the states population).
I suspect that most of the differences between north and south are more differences in urban versus rural? It just happens that most of the people in the north live in an urban environment, and odds are most of the ones that I've dealt with were from urban environments. So can we start a war with the city folks now!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroboy View Post
If you're ever in NC, let me know. I'd enjoy meeting you and showing you around. NC is not too different from GA. We both have mountains and beaches as well as a lot of military 'villes. Also some cities that are trying to be bigger than they really are (sorry Atlanta, no disrespect intended but ATL is no Houston or Chicago but you do have one hell of a traffic problem).
The NC toll transponders work in the "Peach Pass" lanes in Atlanta. It only costs a couple dollars to use the Peach pass lanes both ways. You will save enough gas to pay the toll. Not to mention it is nice to cruise along while everyone else is stopped. For the life of me I don't understand how everyone in Atlanta doesn't have a Peach Pass.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts

I didn't know that. But, I will use it to my advantage and pass that wisdom along! Thanks for sharing.

Roads less traveled...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #50
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I suspect that most of the differences between north and south are more differences in urban versus rural? It just happens that most of the people in the north live in an urban environment, and odds are most of the ones that I've dealt with were from urban environments. So can we start a war with the city folks now!
Im sure your right on that. City folk from around the country probably live more like each other than those in the boonies in their own state.