May as hop on the band wagon: Ask a Southern Male - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > May as hop on the band wagon: Ask a Southern Male

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #31
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,965
Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
My good old friend , why do you know THAT ?
Why DO I know that?



No offense and none taken
__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #32
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 6,219
Liked 6948 Times on 3494 Posts
Likes Given: 7563

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I finally figured out why we do everything slower.... it's the heat. One day at work it was a balmy 115 degrees with really high humidity. The plant was a metal building with a metal roof and no air. It was essentially an oven. The yankees were all about to fall out from heat stroke and fleeing like all us southerns had the plague. We just keep working at a slow and steady pace just like any other day. That's when it hit me that it was just another day for us and we've all learned over the years to work at a slow steady pace because you have to for most of the summer. On the flip side Yankees run around like chickens with their heads cut off because they're used to trying to stay warm!

At least that's my theory.

And as for why southerns don't like Yankees it's because so many of them are not very nice (I'm really biting my tongue here). I think that comes from so much of the north being very competitive. We aren't nearly as competitive and we take friendship and stuff like that very seriously. We then frown upon people stabbing others in the back which is what we expect from Yankees. For Yankees it isn't personal its just business but for us it is very personal. We don't differentiate between the two. Just the other day a coworker was really really getting aggravated with another coworker. I then told him the other coworker was a yankee and he stopped and said "say no more that explains it all" and he was fine the rest of the day. As soon as he realized the coworker he was ready to kill was a yankee he was fine because that's just how Yankees are we all know it.

I know there are some good Yankees but I have worked with many of them over the years and I haven't met but one I liked. I seriously hate working with Yankees. I can't stand working with people I can't trust and I know from experience to never trust a yankee. At least that's been my experience with them.

As for your friends' success just go to where they work and start pulling all the knives out every one's backs. Your friends would never think they did anything wrong but I bet every one of their coworkers would disagree. And they wouldn't disagree because of jealousy. It's just a cultural difference in how we treat each other. If a southerner saw someone at work breaking one of the company rules he would just continue about his work because that is none of his business. That would be between the other worker and the company. A yankee would break the bosses door down to tell about the infraction despite having committed the same infraction on many occasions. I actually saw a yankee get fighting made because another yankee beat him to the bosses office to tell on someone. It's not hard to figure out why that sort of behavior gets reworded by management. Unfortunately those people don't get promoted for the right reasons such as actually doing something constructive.

Sorry for the rant but all the Yankees at work really got on my nerves this week.
The heat will take out a Northerner quick as hell, I can attest to that! I can work all day in 10 degrees but past 80, it goes downhill fast. As for my buddies doing so well down south, I think its cause they were all very prosperous up north as tradesmen, they left because of our state gov not because they couldnt find work. When they come back for a visit, they are anxious to leave, all of them have become very southern and have no intention of ever living here again.

It is funny, they sound southern bigtime, if I didnt know them, I would swear they were GA Born and raised! They actually are getting on very well, they are well liked and have lots o new friends and couldnt be without work if they tried. If I werent such a hard head, I might follow their lead but I wont be forced out of NY anymore than I will give up my guns while my hands are still warm.

My understanding and recollections of the south from my early years when I traveled more are a bit vague. The only things I found really odd back then were that American Africans were treated very differently than Caucasian Americans. Once heard the owner of a filling station yell over to a 70 year old man, "Hey Boy, Come here", then he told us "This Boy will help you out"! I was a bit confused cause I was the only boy in the place (Like 11 years old at that time).

I hope I didnt insult any of you Southerners, didnt mean to if I did, were all family when it comes to our nation. Seeing as how the northern states are bleeding citizens to the south, I was more interested as how it was perceived by native southerners.
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,053
Liked 1509 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3276

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
The heat will take out a Northerner quick as hell, I can attest to that! I can work all day in 10 degrees but past 80, it goes downhill fast. As for my buddies doing so well down south, I think its cause they were all very prosperous up north as tradesmen, they left because of our state gov not because they couldnt find work. When they come back for a visit, they are anxious to leave, all of them have become very southern and have no intention of ever living here again.

It is funny, they sound southern bigtime, if I didnt know them, I would swear they were GA Born and raised! They actually are getting on very well, they are well liked and have lots o new friends and couldnt be without work if they tried. If I werent such a hard head, I might follow their lead but I wont be forced out of NY anymore than I will give up my guns while my hands are still warm.

My understanding and recollections of the south from my early years when I traveled more are a bit vague. The only things I found really odd back then were that American Africans were treated very differently than Caucasian Americans. Once heard the owner of a filling station yell over to a 70 year old man, "Hey Boy, Come here", then he told us "This Boy will help you out"! I was a bit confused cause I was the only boy in the place (Like 11 years old at that time).

I hope I didnt insult any of you Southerners, didnt mean to if I did, were all family when it comes to our nation. Seeing as how the northern states are bleeding citizens to the south, I was more interested as how it was perceived by native southerners.
I doubt anyone has been insulted and I certainly haven't. And the one Yankee I met that I liked was one of the most knowledgeable individuals I've ever met. He had worked for National Cash Register and Westinghouse. The Westinghouse plant he worked at was in Pittsburg and was one of the original plants. As NChunt101 pointed out the industrial areas in the north give people a better background in training but it's more than that. It goes back to the cultural differences. My friend was in maintenance at Westinghouse and that plant was extremely old and had led the way in innovations like so many of the other old plants in the rust belt. He was more knowledgeable about machinery and the mechanics of them than any mechanical engineer I've ever met and he was a maintenance man, but being a maintenance man in that plant way back when meant something entirely different than what that title means today. They didn't just maintain equipment at that plant. They designed and built it. They couldn't just go order whatever machine years ago because they were innovators and the machines they needed didn't exist. Where was Henry Ford going to order the machines for his model "A"'s? That spirit of innovation created an entirely different culture than what exists in the south and that's the culture my friend came up in. He was trained by the old timers that made the US what it is today.

The South never had that industrial base and that is also reflected in our culture. Not having that culture resulted in most southerners not being nearly as knowledgeable about a lot of different trades. But it also resulted in the difference in culture regarding our attitudes towards others and how we treat others (for both good and bad). One of the funny things about my friend is that he absolutely hates Yankees despite being one. I recognize that northern culture has both good and bad points just like all cultures, but it is different. I would also add that northern culture seems to have changed a lot over the years just like southern culture. That knowledge base my friend came up with is for the most past gone for good, and the younger generation there has missed out on a lot of that.

Those are just my observations and based on my past experiences with Yankees and I really dread having to deal with them (actually I have to on a daily basis ). Again I know there are some good ones but the majority that I have dealt with are just a pain in the backside. I have no doubt a lot of them would say the same about me but I'm not the one that moved to their neighborhood!

Webley, if you ever do decide to move here just remember to slow down and enjoy life. Do that and you'll fit right in.
__________________

Last edited by TLuker; 05-19-2014 at 11:47 PM.
TLuker is offline  
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,149
Liked 2691 Times on 1870 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Ask away--I have enjoyed these threads. I am a southern man that lives in a small town in eastern NC. I am 30.
Why Male and not Man. Is there a difference in NC?
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #35
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 6,219
Liked 6948 Times on 3494 Posts
Likes Given: 7563

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I doubt anyone has been insulted and I certainly haven't. And the one Yankee I met that I liked was one of the most knowledgeable individuals I've ever met. He had worked for National Cash Register and Westinghouse. The Westinghouse plant he worked at was in Pittsburg and was one of the original plants. As NChunt101 pointed out the industrial areas in the north give people a better background in training but it's more than that. It goes back to the cultural differences. My friend was in maintenance at Westinghouse and that plant was extremely old and had led the way in innovations like so many of the other old plants in the rust belt. He was more knowledgeable about machinery and the mechanics of them than any mechanical engineer I've ever met and he was a maintenance man, but being a maintenance man in that plant way back when meant something entirely different than what that title means today. They didn't just maintain equipment at that plant. They designed and built it. They couldn't just go order whatever machine years ago because they were innovators and the machines they needed didn't exist. Where was Henry Ford going to order the machines for his model "A"'s? That spirit of innovation created an entirely different culture than what exists in the south and that's the culture my friend came up in. He was trained by the old timers that made the US what it is today.

The South never had that industrial base and that is also reflected in our culture. Not having that culture resulted in most southerners not being nearly as knowledgeable about a lot of different trades. But it also resulted in the difference in culture regarding our attitudes towards others and how we treat others (for both good and bad). One of the funny things about my friend is that he absolutely hates Yankees despite being one. I recognize that northern culture has both good and bad points just like all cultures, but it is different. I would also add that northern culture seems to have changed a lot over the years just like southern culture. That knowledge base my friend came up with is for the most past gone for good, and the younger generation there has missed out on a lot of that.

Those are just my observations and based on my past experiences with Yankees and I really dread having to deal with them (actually I have to on a daily basis ). Again I know there are some good ones but the majority that I have dealt with are just a pain in the backside. I have no doubt a lot of them would say the same about me but I'm not the one that moved to their neighborhood!

Webley, if you ever do decide to move here just remember to slow down and enjoy life. Do that and you'll fit right in.
All of what you say is true, our industrial roots go back as far as Industry itself. At the same time, agriculture was our second biggest employer so machinery design, building and repair is engrained in multiple generations of Yanks as well as human, cattle and crop management.

My brother inlaw the farmer repairs 95% of his own equipment and he has a High School degree only. Every year he completely rips down at least one of his 30+ year old tractors to the core and rebuilds it. Two years ago he bought a new broken combine for 2500 bucks (25 years old to replace his 40 year old JD), tore it completely apart and rebuilt it. Cal never worries about if he can repair it, its how can he repair it and often its with scraps and baling wire in a pinch (yes calvin still has baling wire and a wire baler he never uses, parts is parts!).

I think were always moving fast to feed the pig (our state and fed gov)! If you dont make enough in one job, you get a second and third! Otherwise were screwed! Once you get accustomed to a pace, thats your lifes metronome like it or not. Those escaping New York like oppression may leave the state behind but its hard to take the state of mind out of the person.

Sitting in a chair doing nothing is like a trip to purgatory for me, id rather be shoveling out calf pens! My FTF time is my slacker time but I somehow get over that cause were fixing the world here, its important stuff!!!!

Two out of 3 of my buddies that moved to GA 10+ years ago have worked their way up to owning their own businesses. One spends 3/4s of his year on the road in other states and countries rebuilding giant industrial 10 ton Box making machines (he says they arent any diff than an old tractor just cleaner). Another is a Builder contractor with a sizable work crew, both are kicking ass. The third is the building manager for a big apartment building, not getting rich but he's doing well and very happy.

If I do ever leave NY, its got to be to go to somewhere that they dont have Fish, Gators, snakes and bugs that can bite and kill you. Pennsylvania sounds nice but I fear it will just become another NY.

Tluk, believe me, Im slowing down as mother nature demands I do cause Im not as spry and fast as I was years ago. I am much smarter than I was so I work smarter not harder now. Good news is kids suck at being what I was as a kid, fast and creative so Im still more relevant as a gently aged hard drive of past remembrances than they are full of piss and vinegar but poorly motivated so I guess I wont lose my job any time soon.

I promise to stop and smell some roses! Im scheduling in ten minutes a week to start, well see how that goes!
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
TLuker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,206
Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Why Male and not Man. Is there a difference in NC?
Because we transcend man hence we are males. Let me ask you---how is it being a Flemmish map projector?
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,149
Liked 2691 Times on 1870 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Because we transcend man hence we are males. Let me ask you---how is it being a Flemmish map projector?
As my FIL says, u-r-peein'
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 3,053
Liked 1509 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3276

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I think were always moving fast to feed the pig (our state and fed gov)! If you dont make enough in one job, you get a second and third! Otherwise were screwed! Once you get accustomed to a pace, thats your lifes metronome like it or not. Those escaping New York like oppression may leave the state behind but its hard to take the state of mind out of the person.
For me that is just sad. If I don't make enough then I need to spend less because a second job is out of the question. Heck I don't want the first one.

It's funny because I've had several conversations with different Yankees about southerners not wanting to work like Yankees do. If told to leave work because of a shortage of work Yankees would get mad because their checks were going to be short. Southerners would be gone and out the door before you could finish the sentence. Yankees never understood that we have too much fun stuff to do! It's not that we don't need money but we don't need as much because we don't spend as much. That goes back to not being as competitive. We don't feel the need to keep up with (and then surpass) the Jones's. A lot of Yankees look at some of the tacky looking yards full of junk that a lot of Southerners have and laugh at the hicks, but those yards are all paid for along with all the junk. The Yankees move to an exclusive neighborhood that costs a fortune and have an HMA to tell them everything they can and can't do. They then stay stressed out from having to work all the time to pay for it. So who exactly should be laughing at who?

And we're similar to your brother in law when it comes to repairing stuff. Everything around here used to be farming and cotton mills. Everyone learn to fix everything themselves because they were to poor not to. Of course I'm talking about the past now. The younger generation hasn't had to do for their self and it shows. Of course my grandpa would say the same about me.
__________________
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mopowerbmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 784
Liked 592 Times on 333 Posts

Default

I was born and raised in North Carolina. My hobbies have let me travel all over the easy coast. I have found the only difference in northerners and southerners is accent. There are rednecks,*******s,and freaking know It all's in both places. There are a lot of nice folks too. The problems I see are stereotypes. We all think of a negative or positive stereotype about people before we ever meet them.

__________________
mopowerbmx is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,460
Liked 2160 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Default

My grandfather would say I have more money than sense. But in his day parts didn't cost $1,500. I have gotten used to having payments on equipment. I buy a expensive piece of equipment without batting an eye. The expensive piece of equipment is a labor saver and a tax write off. In years past I hired everyone that was willing to work to bale hay. Now I bale hay and load it on trucks with 3 men in less time. I imagine every industry is going in the same direction.

__________________

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Male Beagle Pup Name Suggestions? BigByrd47119 The Club House 55 06-16-2012 02:29 PM
The Anti-Gun Male CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 06-19-2011 02:03 AM
The Anti-Gun Male CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 01-09-2011 05:09 PM
My male dog has gone nuts NitroxAZ The Club House 27 07-01-2010 02:10 AM