Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mattresses: No More Mysteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'd like to know the truth about the mattresses needing to be thrown out after 7 years, and all the bugs and mites increasing the weight of the mattress?
Most high end innerspring mattress sets carry a 10 year warranty. They typically lose some of their effectiveness after 7 years. It's very hard to tell because it happens so gradually. Generally I would advise to select another set after 7 years because of this and also technology changes so fast and more than likely something that is better for you is now being offered. Do most people chunk them after 7 years? No. Would I? Yes. It's all in what finances you have and how you are sleeping. It's really not a huge deal, but I always advocate for the very best sleep, not just good sleep.

On average, a mattress set will double in weight after 10 years. Dust mites and other bugs play a very small part in the weight gain. The main cause is bodily fluids. Every night a human sweats out about a cup of fluid. The fluid soaks in and because of gravity it will make it's way down to all of the lower upholstery layers. This happens 24/7/365. So after 10 years your mattress is FULL of sweat. This is one of the big reasons to use a quality mattress pad, preferably waterproof.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
We bought a Novaform brand memory foam mattress from Costco. That was roughly 18 months ago and so far its great. It was on sale at the time, I don't remember the exact price but I know it was under $1,000. We had heard many concerns about MF but so far its great, feels the same as day 1 which I can't say about my last few traditional mattresses.
I'm not familiar with Novaform. I'm glad your experience has been positive. Switching from an innerspring to a non traditional mattress can take some getting used to, but generally consumers that do are very happy.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I'd rather sleep on the ground with a rock for a pillow than pay $1000 for a mattress.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
You can't even look at a Tempurpedic or top tier Sealy MF or latex set for $1000. Most people feel as you do until they sleep on a high end set. One day when you are bored, go check out some high end sets at a reputable retailer.

If you have any injuries or back problems, insomnia, sleep apnea, or other chronic illness a doctor can write you a prescription for a mattress. You can then be covered under some insurance plans and if not you can write off the cost on your taxes. The prescription can really offset some of the expense of purchasing a high end mattress. Typically doctors will only write them for MF or latex sets.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I just recently bought a mattress set. It took hours and trying dozens of beds just to narrow it down to two mattresses. I never knew they were so expensive.
I have one of those MF things and I sleep much better now than with the cheap $300 mattress I had.

It nearly killed me to spend that kind of money.
The way you shopped for a new set was 100% correct. There is no way to properly find the best set for you in 10-15 minutes. I advise folks to wear comfy clothes, bring a pillow, not be rushed, and keep an open mind. I also tell folks to not look at price. Pick the right bed and then if you can afford it, great. If you can't, finance it or save up and then get it. If those options aren't feasible, buy the model closest to it with the same comfort level that you can afford.

I bet it hurt to lay out that much coin for something that doesn't go bang, take gas/diesel, or protect you from the elements. You'll forget about the pain of spending the money in less than a year, but you'll remember how good you are sleeping for many, many years. Something that directly affects your health and quality of life is not where you want to be pinching pennies.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
I'll pipe in. I bought a TempurPedic bed, king size, Cloud Luxe model. It was damn near $5,000. You read that right, 5k. I wanted the 'firm' version but my wife wanted the middle version. I went with the wife's want. I loved the thing, it's great.

Fast forward 1.5 years and here's the deal...there is a hard hump in the middle were nobody ever sleeps. My side, once I'm on it, will slope to the edge. Feels like I could roll off. My wife's side, fine. When nobody is on the bed it expands to be flat, no visible sunk in spots, but, when you lay on it you can tell I'm heavier than her and my side is squished. The warranty says they will put a straight edge on the bed to see if there is any 'sinking in' and if it goes beyond a certain point the give you a new bed. As I said, it puffs up straight but it isn't when you lay on it. Any fool could tell you that. Also, sex on this thing is not easy. You sink. There is no leverage. It's like a cat walking on hot marshmallows.
The Cloud line is Tempurpedic's best seller. I would contact the retailer you purchased it from and request they send out a service tech to investigate your issues. The warranty says any impression greater than 3/4" qualifies for a replacement.

Sex on a MF set does feel strange and is much harder to get in the "groove". Latex sets do not have this problem. I'm not aware of a work around.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2072 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Cool,..but #'s 3 and 4 don't apply In My case,..If I have to puke i'm less then 15ft. from my Bathroom sink, and I keep a garbage can next to my side anyway.......Plus the Dog-child is NOT allowed on the BED(trust me he would if we let him!!!)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 12-25-2013 at 03:40 PM.
dango Likes This