Martial arts question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Martial arts question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Martial arts question

Alright guys, I know some of you study martial arts and I am interesting in learning some as well. In my immediate area there is a taekwondo school that offers a number of adult classes. The instructor is Christian which is a big plus for me but I wanted to get your opinion of this form and how it compares to others.
They are also going to start a Brazilian jujitsu class to compliment the taekwondo.
Thoughts?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Spitty, my son started TKD (WTF) when he was 8 years old and earned his black belt at just over 12 years old. He competed until he was about 16 in tournaments all over the SE. As I was his driver to classes and tournaments, I got to see the art first hand and I was very impressed.

From what I saw during competitions, TKD was more focused on ending a fight quickly than dancing around with pretty forms. They also use the feet more than some other styles, although my son's teacher liked them to use LOTS of hand strikes...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The feet idea I like. Played soccer for 15 years and my legs have always been strong and quick. I really want to get into something, I just have to come up with the extra $$ each month.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #4

My son was really very fast and had great feet. I saw him throw a jump spinning tornado kick once in a tournament and his opponent fell down trying to get out of the way and he about pee'd himself. Some of the kicks they trained on were freaking awesome.

These were great years for me & the boy, traveling every weekend to various tournaments and having a blast...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I forgot to ask this. How well can this take the place of my current exercise routine? I'm running 4 miles, 3 days a week and lifting weights for an hour 3 days a week. I don't slack off either, 7:30 pace is the slowest run and the longest break I take while lifting is to walk to the water fountain and back.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #6

Really depends on the school you attend. My son's dojo was VERY physically demanding with lots of pushups, situps, and cardio work. His black belt test took over 3 hours and during one phase he had to defend himself against 3 attacking brown belts for 10 minutes non-stop...

Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

They have 2 hour sessions twice a week and other times when you can come in if you want to get extra practice.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You want to stay in shape, fight like real people fight on the streets and in CBC confrontations and situations, hand to hand or weapon, and not take years to learn real defensive and offensive moves, strikes and punches, taught and instructed to all SOF branches around the world. You want to end a physical conflict quickly...or dance around kicking and waving your arms there Mr. former Marine?

Israeli Krav Maga, period, nuff said!

You live in NC there are training Dojos around you somewhere.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Looked into krav maga but the closest place I could find was an hour one way. I don't have that much time to spend driving. I would love study it but it's just not available to me at the moment.

The martial arts training we got in the Marines was similar, end the fight and move on.

Last edited by spittinfire; 07-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

There are benefits to all styles. Few are comprehensive. The two you mention (TKD and BJJ) are opposite ends of the spectrum in their pure forms. TKD being a striking/kicking art and BJJ being a grapling/pinning art.

I started in TKD in College and got into Aikido. High kicks look cool, but my bosses and the FBI tend to frown on such kicks. Aikido is a purely defensive art, but with an offensive background I find it easy to use Aikido in an offensive way. I find no need to strike, I simply let the ground do the striking.

My Aikido Instructor puts it this way;

There is martial arts sport
martial arts conditioning
martial arts competition
martial arts art
martial arts business

You have to find the style and school that fit your needs.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball