Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Martial artists

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Martial artists

Any other martial artist here? As mu username suggests my name is Brian and I practice Goju.

Just wondering if anyone else here is a practitioner and specifically anyone in northwest arkansas.

God Bless

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I thought they practiced Mun Shein Do in Arkansas.

LOL! I had to do it.

Me: Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I thought they practiced Mun Shein Do in Arkansas.

LOL! I had to do it.

Me: Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

LOL! Did 3yrs of tkd before I was enlightened 17yrs ago.

How long have you been doing them and do you still practice?

p.s. AR has such a rep don't it?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Did TKD for abt 3 years but not very seriously. Never took a belt test. Mostly figured out how to spar with by Brown Belt buddies and at least equal them.

Aikido- About 6 years. Studied under Imaizumi (Grand Master and student of the founder) and his chief instructor Mark Leidig (based here in Central TX). Spent a lot of time as the test subject for the students prepping for their Sho-Dan test. I am big, strong, flexible and have a high pain tolerance. I won't brother-in-law even for my own brother-in-law so they learned to do the technique correctly or I would not tap out.

I am also PPCT instructor. It is kind of very basic Aikido for cops.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Did TKD for abt 3 years but not very seriously. Never took a belt test. Mostly figured out how to spar with by Brown Belt buddies and at least equal them.
Good job. All it takes is getting down the timing and distance, not to mention learning how to get hit without panicking.

Quote:
Aikido- About 6 years. Studied under Imaizumi (Grand Master and student of the founder) and his chief instructor Mark Leidig (based here in Central TX). Spent a lot of time as the test subject for the students prepping for their Sho-Dan test. I am big, strong, flexible and have a high pain tolerance. I won't brother-in-law even for my own brother-in-law so they learned to do the technique correctly or I would not tap out.

I am also PPCT instructor. It is kind of very basic Aikido for cops.
Never cared too much for aikido personally. What I have seen is too compliant and relies on the uke to look good, but I'm sure there is good stuff in there. Don't get defensive,lol, I'm sure everyone can give their sucky karate stories here as well.

Being big and strong will help most of the time with minimal training, size means something no matter what anyone says. That's why they have weight classes in fighting sports,obviously.
Takes that much more technique to overcome size and strength.

What is a ppct instructor? I was an mp for about a year in ft.polk,LA after being field artilery for 9yrs, but not alot of exposure to leo's.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #6

There's already a thread going:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/martial-arts-11079/

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics) trademarked system involving locks, throws, pins and pressure point compliance holds/strikes with baton, handcuffing, spontaneous knife defense and ground fighting. Pretty cool when you understand where the adversary is vulnerable. Most arts concentrate on your strikes not your targets. Works pretty well 98% of the time. Throw some Aikido on top and it works 99.9% of the time. The only real draw back for me is transporting someone with soiled shorts because they evacuated their bowels. No cuts, no broken bones and superficial bruises. Less paperwork and fewer trips to the ER with arrestees.

Aikido is about the perfect art for LE, IMHO. You can get compliance w/o injury most of the time. The opponent is SOOO off balance that if you choose to incorporate a strike, the openings are HUGE and obvious.