Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Martial artists (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/martial-artists-11283/)

Gojubrian 02-26-2009 12:35 AM

Martial artists
 
Any other martial artist here? As mu username suggests my name is Brian and I practice Goju.

Just wondering if anyone else here is a practitioner and specifically anyone in northwest arkansas.


God Bless

robocop10mm 02-26-2009 12:43 AM

I thought they practiced Mun Shein Do in Arkansas.

LOL! I had to do it.

Me: Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

Gojubrian 02-26-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 75130)
I thought they practiced Mun Shein Do in Arkansas.

LOL! I had to do it.

Me: Tae Kwon Do and Aikido


LOL! Did 3yrs of tkd before I was enlightened 17yrs ago. :D

How long have you been doing them and do you still practice?

p.s. AR has such a rep don't it? :p

robocop10mm 02-26-2009 01:24 AM

Did TKD for abt 3 years but not very seriously. Never took a belt test. Mostly figured out how to spar with by Brown Belt buddies and at least equal them.

Aikido- About 6 years. Studied under Imaizumi (Grand Master and student of the founder) and his chief instructor Mark Leidig (based here in Central TX). Spent a lot of time as the test subject for the students prepping for their Sho-Dan test. I am big, strong, flexible and have a high pain tolerance. I won't brother-in-law even for my own brother-in-law so they learned to do the technique correctly or I would not tap out.

I am also PPCT instructor. It is kind of very basic Aikido for cops.

Gojubrian 02-26-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 75153)
Did TKD for abt 3 years but not very seriously. Never took a belt test. Mostly figured out how to spar with by Brown Belt buddies and at least equal them.

Good job. All it takes is getting down the timing and distance, not to mention learning how to get hit without panicking.

Quote:

Aikido- About 6 years. Studied under Imaizumi (Grand Master and student of the founder) and his chief instructor Mark Leidig (based here in Central TX). Spent a lot of time as the test subject for the students prepping for their Sho-Dan test. I am big, strong, flexible and have a high pain tolerance. I won't brother-in-law even for my own brother-in-law so they learned to do the technique correctly or I would not tap out.

I am also PPCT instructor. It is kind of very basic Aikido for cops.
Never cared too much for aikido personally. What I have seen is too compliant and relies on the uke to look good, but I'm sure there is good stuff in there. Don't get defensive,lol, I'm sure everyone can give their sucky karate stories here as well. :p

Being big and strong will help most of the time with minimal training, size means something no matter what anyone says. That's why they have weight classes in fighting sports,obviously.
Takes that much more technique to overcome size and strength.

What is a ppct instructor? I was an mp for about a year in ft.polk,LA after being field artilery for 9yrs, but not alot of exposure to leo's.

supergus 02-26-2009 02:23 AM

There's already a thread going:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/martial-arts-11079/

robocop10mm 02-26-2009 02:46 PM

PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics) trademarked system involving locks, throws, pins and pressure point compliance holds/strikes with baton, handcuffing, spontaneous knife defense and ground fighting. Pretty cool when you understand where the adversary is vulnerable. Most arts concentrate on your strikes not your targets. Works pretty well 98% of the time. Throw some Aikido on top and it works 99.9% of the time. The only real draw back for me is transporting someone with soiled shorts because they evacuated their bowels. No cuts, no broken bones and superficial bruises. Less paperwork and fewer trips to the ER with arrestees.

Aikido is about the perfect art for LE, IMHO. You can get compliance w/o injury most of the time. The opponent is SOOO off balance that if you choose to incorporate a strike, the openings are HUGE and obvious.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.