Market crash............ - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Market crash............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6040 Times on 2990 Posts
Likes Given: 6415

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I attend corporate business meetings several times a year and we hire in marketing and trade representatives to put them on . These people are big into the markets and trade . There was not one there last week that didnt say the same thing about the Government pumping dollars into the markets to help keep things up and they also said expect it to stay like this until BO is gone . Then the fault of the market crash will be on someone else's shoulders . Maybe they will be wrong and I hope for everyone's sake its false info . But in the 7 years I have been going to these . They have been right on target every year .
Sadly, I know the markets exuberance doesnt reflect reality but Im 52 and my bet is this market will keep climbing for the next couple years anyhow and I still have some years to recover it if Im wrong. To date, Ive recovered all the drops from the bear market and more but things have not gotten a bit better on the home-front, just cheap federal money to giant Corporate borrowers.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #22

Liked 705 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

I rode it out in stocks when the 2008 crash hit, just moving new contributions into a MM fund for a while. I also took out a 401k loan before it fell much, and what I repaid earned me more than the market was. I've since made back what I lost, plus a good bit more. As of July 31 this year, I'm up 24% over the past 12 months. I'll take that return any time and twice on Sundays.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

People Like This 
Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #23

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I say hit the strip club and have a blast. You can't take it with you, so enjoy it while you can. Aaaiiieeeeeeeeeee!
Dont take a bunch of cash into the shady ones (where the girls make their own deals)...good way to get robbed...

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #24

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I never listen to the gloom and doom people. They are by admission poor judges of finances. I rode out the rise and falls of the markets over the years. In retirement my 401 investments have been a fortress against inflation. To pull out earlier and pay the government 20 % of your savings is not wise.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1845 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I never listen to the gloom and doom people. They are by admission poor judges of finances. I rode out the rise and falls of the markets over the years. In retirement my 401 investments have been a fortress against inflation. To pull out earlier and pay the government 20 % of your savings is not wise.
LOL........ Sometimes pulling out early will save you money in the long run........Naw, just trying to save what it has earned and have money for the wife, just in case.....she deserves it more than I do, She worked a lot more hours than I did, and that was 7 days a week........I think it's time for a new Gov. that doesn't burden the elderly for tax dollars...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7037 Times on 4236 Posts
Likes Given: 8484

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I rode it out in stocks when the 2008 crash hit, just moving new contributions into a MM fund for a while. I also took out a 401k loan before it fell much, and what I repaid earned me more than the market was. I've since made back what I lost, plus a good bit more. As of July 31 this year, I'm up 24% over the past 12 months. I'll take that return any time and twice on Sundays.
Quote:
Same with me. But again, it depends on your age.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #27

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Age of course. You may start with drawls at age 59 and 6 Mos. without a penalty. By age 70 you will be required by law to with draw a set amount each year and pay income taxes on that amount.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1210 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
LOL........ Sometimes pulling out early will save you money in the long run........Naw, just trying to save what it has earned and have money for the wife, just in case.....she deserves it more than I do, She worked a lot more hours than I did, and that was 7 days a week........I think it's time for a new Gov. that doesn't burden the elderly for tax dollars...........
Most 401Ks have a money market option. Don't take the money out, when you think the market is going south, move it to the money market. That will give you a little growth while you ride out the bad times. It is generally guaranteed to about 1 to 1 1/2%. Don't yank it and give Obummer 20%.

One of the things you can do is roll the money out of the 401K into a 401K investment account with a broker, and tell him at this time you want a very, very conservative, little risk approach. there will be no taxes on the money, but you can largely remove it from risk.

Unfortunately I believe this govt. wants to punish those of us that save, and not overspend so we have to depend on the same govt.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Last edited by Daoust_Nat; 08-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1210 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Age of course. You may start with drawls at age 59 and 6 Mos. without a penalty. By age 70 you will be required by law to with draw a set amount each year and pay income taxes on that amount.
At 70 (it may actually be 69 1/2) you are required to take out 4% of the account balance. The percentage increases each year, but I do not remember how much.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1845 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Default Who knows.........

Which way is the market headed since I first posted.........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........