Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Market crash............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1806 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Default Market crash............

Two weeks to late ? Yesterday I called the folks that has my 401 k, from my previous employer........The last time i was envolved with the money holders they told me to sit tight and things would get better. I lost as much as I had put in. This time I pulled it out just before the **** hit the fan in Egypt, more or less. Now my question is...............Are there any Honest people left out there that can reinvest my savings. Or do I bite the bullet, pay the taxes and hoard the little left overs that osammy and his cronies have left me with.................I could always invest in guns and ammo.................Hell, better than gold.....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I say hit the strip club and have a blast. You can't take it with you, so enjoy it while you can. Aaaiiieeeeeeeeeee!

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2652 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

Wills.... - you do not want to withdraw it all and take the bath!

Roll it into a Fidelity, Schwab, or Scottrade IRA and oversee it yourself. Just go with an S&P index ETF, like SPY (60%) and a wide market bond ETF, TTL (40%) and let it ride! You'll be fine. Depending on your age, you may want to reverse those percentages.

Call any one of these discount investment houses and they'll handle the rollover and the investment at very, very low fees!

* I am not a financial advisor, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6955 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8362

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Wills.... - you do not want to withdraw it all and take the bath!

Roll it into a Fidelity, Schwab, or Scottrade IRA and oversee it yourself. Just go with an S&P index ETF, like SPY (60%) and a wide market bond ETF, TTL (40%) and let it ride! You'll be fine. Depending on your age, you may want to reverse those percentages.

Call any one of these discount investment houses and they'll handle the rollover and the investment at very, very low fees!

* I am not a financial advisor, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
This is the key. RIDE IT OUT. But I am younger than Wills so that's easier for me to say. Over all, through all the crashes and booms, I have done well with my 401(k). I have a couple of them. I'm going to roll them all over into one when I get mine going at my current employer. I have to wait a year. But technically, you didn't lose anything until you pull your money out at a loss.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #5

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

It depends on how old you are(how close to retirement). eatmydust has a pretty good idea about managing it yourself. Add to the list TDAmeritrade.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1189 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Just my humble opinion, but an unexpectedly good jobs report and a couple of profit shorcomings are not yet going to do the market correction that I think is coming. I think Bernanke is going to quit throwing $85 Bil into the economy each month, but not until Obummer says so. I don't think that is coming soon, as it does not fit his Keynsean Economic plan. It is coming, but I think he will try continue throught he 2014 midterms. I would keep it in. I am, and I am 64, so I need to be careful. I would watch and listen for Bernanke to fart.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #7

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Money = power, BO wants all the power. Buy guns and ammo, they are doing better than any Wall Street investment.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
Just my humble opinion, but an unexpectedly good jobs report and a couple of profit shorcomings are not yet going to do the market correction that I think is coming. I think Bernanke is going to quit throwing $85 Bil into the economy each month, but not until Obummer says so. I don't think that is coming soon, as it does not fit his Keynsean Economic plan. It is coming, but I think he will try continue throught he 2014 midterms. I would keep it in. I am, and I am 64, so I need to be careful. I would watch and listen for Bernanke to fart.
Having ridden the anti-bubble sentiment into office in 2008 Obama and Bernanke have created a bubble of their own under QE I, I, III whatever. When that party comes to an end head for the sidelines cause when it happens it will ripple around the globe and no amount of diversification will protect you.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

If you do not need to leave it in the 401k, get it out and move it to an IRA. I use TD Ameritrade myself. Then start educating yourself. Here are a few good places to start.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ6tz0KXI-83VadAHD7UZ6g
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrz9GW8_Dtm41aOc05S4Vg
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQAvjhqp559qSQx2dcg9WVg

In my opinion, investing requires just as much attention to detail if not more than firearms. Start learning.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Two weeks to late ? Yesterday I called the folks that has my 401 k, from my previous employer........The last time i was envolved with the money holders they told me to sit tight and things would get better. I lost as much as I had put in. This time I pulled it out just before the **** hit the fan in Egypt, more or less. Now my question is...............Are there any Honest people left out there that can reinvest my savings. Or do I bite the bullet, pay the taxes and hoard the little left overs that osammy and his cronies have left me with.................I could always invest in guns and ammo.................Hell, better than gold.....................
Wills, just my opinion but if you are of retirement age and are drawing on that 401(k) you should be in a defensive position with lots of fixed income holdings, not stocks. If you lost 20-30% in a week you simply do not have time to make it back. You won't make a lot in bonds but they are more stable in a bear market and you won't lose what you put in.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This