Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Marines vs army?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Guys remember I'm only 14. So it's foolish to say I'm not cut out for either one. I have friends that want to join with me. Do they still do a buddy program? Who does more fighting? If its the marines than why does the army have more casualties?
The army generally has more casualties for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, they're the bigger branch, so they have more people overseas. More people in harm's way = more people harmed.

deployment rotations and length of deployment. The army deploys and redeploys more rapidly, and for longer periods. Same formula as above. More time in harm's way =......

Different attitude. This is usually because of the above situation. More time in harm's way = complacency.

Different mission. Army is more of an occupational force. Doing more boring guard duty, convoys, crap like that. This affects attitude.
The Marine Corps is more of an expeditionary force. This affects attitude, time in harm's way, rotations, and number of people on the ground.

A strange analogy, because I'm all about weird analogies, is this...

The army is like a bull dozer. Gets a lot done in a long amount of time, literally changing the landscape if need be. using a lot of resources, heavy metal, and takes a hell of a beating, but keeps on working.

The Marine Corps is like a muscle car. In and out, fast, loud, and damn good looking. Get the job done, wait for the next race. Watch the paint, and take care of the moving parts, because you only have so many replacements. One main job = precision warfare. We aren't designed nor organized for long occupations, only to fight the battles and move on to the next objective.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 290 Posts

When you turn 18. It doesn't matter if you join the army or the marines you are serving the greatest country in the world. And which ever you choose you will have a bond with any person that has served. Join the army.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #23

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF
When you turn 18. It doesn't matter if you join the army or the marines you are serving the greatest country in the world. And which ever you choose you will have a bond with any person that has served.
Damn skippy. ANY person who has shed blood for this country is my family. Marines more so though.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #24

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

So which branch would someone more likely be killed?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Depends on what's going on in the world. Army is a good bet on that subject though. If dieing is your biggest worry id suggest going to the air force or navy then

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 290 Posts

Quote:

You can get killed walking down the street. We don't join a branch of the military because we do or don't want to get killed. That is something we try not to happen. But when it's your time to meet your maker there is no stoping it.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF

You can get killed walking down the street. We don't join a branch of the military because we do or don't want to get killed. That is something we try not to happen. But when it's your time to meet your maker there is no stoping it.
Quoted for truth.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #28
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Guys remember I'm only 14. So it's foolish to say I'm not cut out for either one. I have friends that want to join with me. Do they still do a buddy program? Who does more fighting? If its the marines than why does the army have more casualties?
Geeze 14! Oh gosh.

I would suggest you take note of what you find yourself especially good and/or interested in over the next few years. If you have more than your fair share of testosterone, the Marines may be the service for you. If you like swinging a hammer or operating equipment, you might have better opportunities to build things in the Army. Does biology make sense to you? The Navy or Army Medical Corps may be satisfying. Do you have a talent for languages? Can you make sense out of what appears to be random information? Ever build a radio? A rocket? Have any interest in the weather? And so on and so forth.

My point is you’ll do yourself a favor and certainly provide better service to the country by joining a service that can make the best use of your natural talents and interests, instead of joining a service because that’s the one your friends are. I believe you’ll make some strong, if not stronger, friendships in the service than the ones you have now.
People Like This 
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Geeze 14! Oh gosh.

I would suggest you take note of what you find yourself especially good and/or interested in over the next few years. If you have more than your fair share of testosterone, the Marines may be the service for you. If you like swinging a hammer or operating equipment, you might have better opportunities to build things in the Army. Does biology make sense to you? The Navy or Army Medical Corps may be satisfying. Do you have a talent for languages? Can you make sense out of what appears to be random information? Ever build a radio? A rocket? Have any interest in the weather? And so on and so forth.

My point is you’ll do yourself a favor and certainly provide better service to the country by joining a service that can make the best use of your natural talents and interests, instead of joining a service because that’s the one your friends are. I believe you’ll make some strong, if not stronger, friendships in the service than the ones you have now.
Perfect advice. My talents are making things go boom amd shooting long ranges plus I love combat.....so I became a Marine.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #30

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
That is very excellent advice.

Closed Thread