Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Marines vs army?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 171 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Ain't ya'll gettin off subject here ???? THE OP is askin which branch of service to join. There will always be POSSERS out there & you can't stop it , a lie is a lie... OP Beast ----- Do YOUR own research & search YOUR own heart if you wish to serve this country. You get out of the military what you put into it , BTW you ARE 14 yrs old , be a kid for now and just enjoy. You have a few years to make up your mind, just make the best choice for you. Now to qualify myself ----- USMC CPL 1980 - 1985 mos 2531 ( field radioman ) I was a human mule humpin 120 lbs of radio gear in the infantry 81mm FO team 3/3 1st MARBDE FMFPAC KBAY Semper FI Mickey

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #112
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc View Post
Ain't ya'll gettin off subject here ???? . . . .etc.
Yeah. You guys wanna take your 'discussion' PM? (Besides I ran outta popcorn.)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 649

after waking up to see over 100 replies i just had to read it all. i knew something went down while i slumbered. and thats all im going to say.

i aggree wish i had popcorn.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #114

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Yah, there is. It's called CQB. Everyone practices it a little. Navy practices it the most. If you want to disagree, go to Norfolk, walk into any bar, and disagree there. I doubt you'll walk home without crutches though.
Yeah. Next time I'm having a drink at McP's in San Diego Ill bring it up.

Now if I could only find out where those super secret 'Delta operators' hang out, I'd let them in on the memo.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #115

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I can only speak from my personal experience. I served active duty in the Corps from 1986-1990 along with being recalled to active duty for the first Gulf War.

Boot camp. Best advice I got from my uncle who was Army but I think it would work for any branch. Expect it to be the worst thing you could imagine. Actually go in expecting it to be worse than that.

I did and came out great. I was platoon guide and Honor Man.

I chose radio operator as a MOS for no particular reason. I was glad I did. I was fortunate enough to be attached to several different units so it made things a lot more interesting. I was with 2/12 (artillery) in Okinawa and got to go to Air Naval Gunfire school in the Philippines. With that I spent almost all my time with the forward observers calling in artillery fire for 155 howitzers. I enjoyed this a lot. I got to go to a couple Bearhunt & Team Spirit operations in Korea as well. I extended a year in Okinawa because I loved it.

I spent my last 1 1/2 years in the 2nd Marine Air Wing. Actually a Bogue Rat to be more specific. We operated an auxiliary airfield (Bogue Field). Honestly I spent more time with the Army & Navy during that period. I spent some time with the Army testing new encryption equipment at Fort Bragg and Fort Stewart. I was also on the USS Nassau while we prepared for and supported the President Bush visit to Colombia South America.

Just like I have found with everything in my life there are some awesome people in every branch of the services and there are some really not so good people as well.

It is what you make of it.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

OP: What, specifically, do you want to do with the rest of your life? i.e., what do you want to do when you grow up?

All of the services offer technical jobs, all of the services offer ground-pounding jobs, all of the services have their hero squads, all have Aviation . The Coast Guard is somewhat different because they are under the Department of the Treasury and have a different path regarding the path the mission orders take.

All of the services have duty stations that sux delux, all of the services have duty stations in paradise, and everywhere in-between ... and they're not the same for everyone (one guy's hell is another guy's paradise).

I was a Navy Corpsman, I was trained in "Field Med School" (for deployment with Marine Units). I worked in two duty stations, Cp, LeJeune, NC and Portsmouth VA. I had assignments on a hospital ward, physical exam clinic, spent a summer as a beach corpsman @ Onslow Beach in the clinic treating dependents and holding sick call for 26 Marine Lifeguards. Then some TAD (temporary assignments) with EOD, Second Recon, Force Recon, Motor Pool, the Shooting Range, and a couple units filling in for their Corpsman while they took leave. I spent a total of three days on a ship during an annual exercise. The ship was always within view of the shore.

At the medical center in Portsmouth, I worked admissions for a while, then moved to Clinical Investigation and Research Service and learned skills and certification for an Electronmicroscopy Technician.

At the hospital, there were Corpsman-trained people that operated the elevators ("Vertical Transport Operators"); the VTOs (and similar) were the screw-ups ... every type of job in every branch has a place for those that are just along for the ride or screw-ups, or attitude cases.

As mentioned, Marines and Army are riflemen/infantry first, then their job assignment second (all the services call their job numbers by different names).
The Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard tend to have the better technical training, though some can be pretty obscure (like the Navy's Nuclear Electronic Tech ... not so many Nuke jobs around at the moment, that could change).
Marines, Army, Navy tend to have a lot of practical job skills (construction, mechanical, food service ...).
With the general exception of the Marines and Coast Guard, the Service Branches all have Land, Sea, Air, and Ground assignments in a wide variety of jobs.

The point is, if you have any clue as to what you want to do later in life, you can find something in any of the services that will apply, in addition to giving you some assistance through college, a VA loan guaranty for a home, if you choose to use it, and lately, some hiring preference in the private sector, as well as "time-in-service" applying to federal civil service time-in-service.

All of the services have dangerous jobs, all can have some fluffy jobs ... it's not automatic, you have to work for the better jobs, just like in real life as a civilian.

As an aid for future bar fights: The Marines are a a branch of the Navy, sort of, and the Air Force branched off from the Army. All four make fun of each other. However, in a bar fight any will fight any, unless there's Marines and Navy against any of the others or Army and Air Force against any of the others the two group up to fight the third (or all four if they're in the same place ... pretty unusual). All four tend to "hate" the Coast Guard ("Knee Deep Navy"). In a battle zone, all are buddies because they all depend on each other to survive.

Oh, and one final caution: Nothing your recruiter tells you will be true; it's all a huge lie ala the "Private Benjamin" movie (well, not a lie per se, more like an extreme exaggeration of the truth).

Good luck

Last edited by scottmac; 11-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #117

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Your 14.... Who knows how much the military is going to downsize.
Get good grades, practice the PT until you can ace it, and work on the ASVAB.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #118

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin

Yeah. Next time I'm having a drink at McP's in San Diego Ill bring it up.

Now if I could only find out where those super secret 'Delta operators' hang out, I'd let them in on the memo.
Try Bragg

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #119

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
.. . The Coast Guard is somewhat different because they are under the Department of the Treasury and have a different path regarding the path the mission orders take.
"Currently, the Coast Guard operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime and under the Navy during wartime, or by special presidential order. "

http://www.todaysmilitary.com/service-branches/coast-guard

I knew that had changed recently so I wanted to look it up and be sure.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #120

Liked 153 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
im thinking if he was on the iggy list how would he know he was talikng ****? lol
Put him on it, took him off it, then put him back on it.

On it is where he deserves to be.

Closed Thread