Marines vs army?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Marines vs army?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Marines vs army?

I'm looking to join one in a few years. What are the differences as far as training,benefits,pay,the people your around, skills they teach you etc? Which one usually has more casualties? Which one would be more "enjoyable" ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I'm looking to join one in a few years. What are the differences as far as training,benefits,pay,the people your around, skills they teach you etc? Which one usually has more casualties? Which one would be more "enjoyable" ?
Training: Marines training is generally considered tougher, but more available options in the Army. The first difference is Basic Training. The USMC Basic Training is approximately three months. Not sure what the Army's is, but the only one that comes close in duration is the Coast Guard, who's may actually be slightly longer.
Benefits: Same.
Pay: Same.
People: I'm a Marine. Marines are for life. Marine brothers are for life. I can't speak for the Army on this one.
Skills: depends on your job field. Each branch excels in different fields, and in many cases, cross training (not crossdressing) is available. Meaning, the Army trains some Marines in some cases, and the Marine Corps trains some soldiers in some cases.
Casualties: In this area, the Army has the Marine Corps beat, severely. Different training, different deployment rotations, and hugely different numbers and mission. The Army takes way more casualties.

If I could do it all over again, I would still be a Marine. Side note: The Marine Corps, last time I heard, also had the highest divorce, suicide, and alcoholism rates.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The USCG is the most enjoyable. You can do rescues or drug interdiction.

The USAF is in second place. Very smart people, very easy job, mostly indoors or like working at an airport.

The US Army is in 3rd place. You can have fun in boot camp, get into shape, and learn to take orders. The job is like Boy Scouts.

The US Navy is in 4th place. You are stuck out on a boat for a long period of time, then back to shore for a little while, then more sea duty.

If you were cut out for the USMC then you would already know it. These are the phoney tought or the crazy brave. I doubt you are either, or you would not be asking about benefits. There is nothing fun about the USMC. It is all pain and no pleasure. Before very long you will ask yourself why you picked it. Then you will probably switch to one of the others. More marines switch out of the corps and into another service than any other branch personnel do. Clue.

The pay is all about the same in all of them, very little difference.

If you are good at the work, you can stay 20 to 30 years and make master chief / sergeant major, or warrant officer.

If you go to college you can start out as a lieutenant, and work your way up to major or colonel. For general or admiral you would first need to go to one of their academies.

Last edited by Shoobee; 11-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Also, there is a certain amount of Pride in being a Marine, that just doesn't seem to be quite the same with other branches. Yeah, they all give us proud veterans, but Marines just seem to be a different breed.

We're arrogant *******s. Mostly because we know we're the best.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Also, there is a certain amount of Pride in being a Marine, that just doesn't seem to be quite the same with other branches. Yeah, they all give us proud veterans, but Marines just seem to be a different breed.

We're arrogant *******s. Mostly because we know we're the best.
Navy SEALs beat the USMC at everything.

Next in line as the badazzes are the USMC infantry recon.

Then the Army green berets and rangers.

Then the ordinary marines.

And so forth.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #6

How ya been?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #7

Liked 1835 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

All I know is what I’ve read, which is:

Whatever else Marines may do, they are ALL riflemen (riflepersons?) first, last, and always. Basically, they shoot first, keep the books balanced second. It’s the other way around in the other services. I don’t even think Navy & Air Force accountants even see a gun. Marines are few in number relatively speaking. They aren't even enough of them to require their own General (Admiral?). They are used ‘tactically’. Unless there is an outbreak of world peace, you WILL go to a combat area if you join the Marines Corp. You may or may not as a member of the other services. If you join the Army, you may be sent to a combat area, OR you may become part of the trip wire in South Korea or be stationed in the back 40 in Europe or somewhere.

(I had a friend in the Air Force who spent Vietnam babysitting an ICBM in Nebraska. He worked four days on & four days off. He could have/would have killed ten times the total number of ALL Vietnam War casualties if a launch order was received)

Last edited by Vincine; 11-19-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

I believe your thinking "secretary".
We have generals. General Mattis is on par with Mars himself.

But we have no "secretary". We have a commandant who answers to the secretary of the Navy. We are under the department of the navy. The men's department.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #9

Liked 1835 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I believe your thinking "secretary".
We have generals. General Mattis is on par with Mars himself.

But we have no "secretary". We have a commandant who answers to the secretary of the Navy. We are under the department of the navy. The men's department.
I just looked it up. I had thought Brigadier General was as high as it went. When did you guys get a four star? In any event, I stand corrected.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
training: USMC. thats all we do go to war. or train for war.
USMC bootcamp is 13 weeks. army is 10 weeks. airforce 8, navy 9 and coastgaurd 8.

you'll get better civilian job skills in the coast guard or airforce.

navy, army and MARINES tend to be slightly more fighting related for most MOS's

pay and benefits are about the same.

Marines wear the best uniforms!
Marines deal with the most SH!t.

really it depends what you make of your time with whatever branch you choose... make the best of your service. take adavantage of the gym's, the food, the barracks even the training, or college courses.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Closed Thread