Marine Sniper Qualifications - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Marine Sniper Qualifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't talk to a recruiter about becoming a sniper. He'll have you believing that you're going to be a sniper until your 6th week in Motor P School.
Recruiters fill quotas, and you're just another peg. I am not, in any way, crapping on recruiters, just letting you know what the deal is. If the guy knows anything about popping heads at 500 yards+, he's not going to be handing out pamphlets at the mall. In the same vein, when you walk into a recruiter's office, regardless of what he tells you, he doesn't care what you want to do for a living in the military. He has a list of MOS's that need to be serviced, and you are the raw material by which he or she services them. recruiting is a dog-eat-dog world, and another walk-in isn't going to have the wherewithal to derail a recruiter's numbers. You just aren't that important.
Heartless? Maybe. Factual? You literally bet your ass.

If you want to be fast-tracked to become a Marine Corps sniper, you had better be a highly-qualified civilian sniper before you sign up. Bear in mind that taking the shot is just another integer in a very long equation. Shooting might very well be the least creative part of being a sniper.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

the Military channel has great shows on what it takes to become a sniper and you have to have a good memory as well as a good aim. Killing another man aint like the video games either so you have to be able do handle that aspect. As for family life as a sniper, dont get married. If they want you to have a family you will be issued one. Family life isnt for a sniper as you always and forever have to live with what you do and nobody else other than another sniper will be worthy to talk to about what you so. If you can handle all that go for it otherwise just be an infantryman.......hope this helps, not trying to be cruel or an ass

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always thought that in a situation where you are sniping people you would fall back onto your training and ignore the fact that you are killing people. I have never seriously hurt somebody (put two people in the hospital though), but if you fall back onto something that you have been taught you become a drone... in which case a lethal drone. It is only after the fact that you will feel the affects of what you have done. I know a Marine that has killed several people. She says that she remembers each of their faces before they died. I don't want to imagine how many faces you would see at night.

As Gnome said, you must be heartless and cold blooded. If you are up to the challenge, then you are better than me. I can conquer everything about me, but my conscious. I believe that I could kill, and kill easily... but not as a sniper. A sniper shoots to wound so that he can draw others in, to kill them too. A sniper is an ultimate predator.

Make sure that before you enroll, you are ready to conquer the toughest of all challenges, yourself.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

USMC Basic Scout Sniper School Pre-Regs

Accordin' to that site, you must be at least Lance Corporal.

So, enlist in a combat arms job, then they'll give you all the training you need.

Edit:

Oh and how many of you giving advice on being "heartless" and other bull**** like that have worn any uniform?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #15

I would disagree with being heartless and cold blooded to be a sniper. A job is a job and killing someone with a single placed bullet is no different than killing someone any other way. In fact, I highly doubt you'd be considered if the perception of your command was that you were heartless and cold blooded. Crap like that indicates personality issues. I am an infantry scout (Army) and the guys in the sniper section are neither heartless or cold blooded. Some of them are the biggest hacks around until they get behind a trigger, then they are professionals.

And snipers don't shoot to wound in order to draw others in to kill them. It's not some dude hiding out in the pucker brush taking out everyone and anyone who ventures into range. The glamorization and embelishment that particular job has received via Hollywood is bull****.

I have sat in on some of my units training and the best advice I have to offer is KNOW YOUR MATH!

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-16-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #16

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

What jeepcreep said

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Good grief, I think folks play to many video games.

See a recruiter, enlist, make it thru boot camp. Then if you prove you have the talent, ability, mindset, and determination - you can be a sniper...

Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I would disagree with being heartless and cold blooded to be a sniper. A job is a job and killing someone with a single placed bullet is no different than killing someone any other way. In fact, I highly doubt you'd be considered if the perception of your command was that you were heartless and cold blooded. Crap like that indicates personality issues. I am an infantry scout (Army) and the guys in the sniper section are neither heartless or cold blooded. Some of them are the biggest hacks around until they get behind a trigger, then they are professionals.

And snipers don't shoot to wound in order to draw others in to kill them. It's not some dude hiding out in the pucker brush taking out everyone and anyone who ventures into range. The glamorization and embellishment that particular job has received via Hollywood is bull****.

I have sat in on some of my units training and the best advice I have to offer is KNOW YOUR MATH!
"Quoted for truth"

You need to have your head screwed on straight, be able to work unsupervised, and have patience. More importantly, as indeed stated above, you will need to know your math and how to solve the equations and formulas without a calculator.

What a sniper does by compensating for the environment when taking a shot is amazing in the complicity of the problem. The human brain solves the equation in real time, digital computers can't.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #19

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

What IGETEVEN said

Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't say that stuff because of a video game, I said it because my uncle was a sniper in Vietnam. I really don't like video games because I think it is a money making scheme, one that disregards human life and teaches inaccurate warfare, or at least warfare in my dads opinion. Then you have a lot of gun know-it-alls. It annoys me every time people talk about Call of Duty because they talk about their best kill or about their favorite weapon and how it should be used and **** like that.
I said that you need to be heartless, because according to my uncle, you need to be. He had to shoot children. He had to do things that now gives him nightmares. He cant even talk about it anymore. His wife is the one who tells us stuff. Well, he used to be able to talk about it so grandma and mom know stuff too. Like climbing up palm trees only to be spotted and dropping 10'. Eating bugs and nasty bread. Hiding in swamps while vietkong were so close that they almost stepped on him. He is really messed up in the head now. He has only told me one thing about being a sniper, and he said that you have to be a cold hearted bastard.

In case someone asks his last name is Varwig. IDK what the correct German spelling is.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown