Marine military academy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Marine military academy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Marine military academy

With those two kids in the Young Marines program made me remember a private school that I hope to send my 3 year old son to when he goes into 8th grade at 13/14. It is the Marine Military Academy. It is a prep school for grades 8-12. It is located in Harlingen, Texas. Its a half hour from Brownsville TX. As you can tell from the name the school is based off of the Marine Corps. Its uniforms, rank structure, and discipline. I remember reading that it has a 100% acceptance rate into college, with a 94-98% of seniors attending college the following year. It is a boarding school, that makes it 1) expensive, and 2) more efficient and regemented. Tuition and fees makes it cost around $31,000-$35,000.....a year!

My ultimate dream for my son, which I will guide but not force on him, is for him to attend this school for 5 years. All ready know the history and lifestyle of the Marine Corps. Hopefully from there I can help get him acceptance in the Naval Academy, hopefully he chooses to go green instead of blue. Do his mandatory 6 years as an officer. From there the world I believe would be limitless of oportunities. He could choose to continue an honorable profession, or seek life as a civilian with an outstanding education and work ethic. And hopefully he has networked enough contacts to get a good job. All I can do as a father is set him up for success, not hand it to him.

mmalogo.png  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
With those two kids in the Young Marines program made me remember a private school that I hope to send my 3 year old son to when he goes into 8th grade at 13/14. It is the Marine Military Academy. It is a prep school for grades 8-12. It is located in Harlingen, Texas. Its a half hour from Brownsville TX. As you can tell from the name the school is based off of the Marine Corps. Its uniforms, rank structure, and discipline. I remember reading that it has a 100% acceptance rate into college, with a 94-98% of seniors attending college the following year. It is a boarding school, that makes it 1) expensive, and 2) more efficient and regemented. Tuition and fees makes it cost around $31,000-$35,000.....a year!

My ultimate dream for my son, which I will guide but not force on him, is for him to attend this school for 5 years. All ready know the history and lifestyle of the Marine Corps. Hopefully from there I can help get him acceptance in the Naval Academy, hopefully he chooses to go green instead of blue. Do his mandatory 6 years as an officer. From there the world I believe would be limitless of oportunities. He could choose to continue an honorable profession, or seek life as a civilian with an outstanding education and work ethic. And hopefully he has networked enough contacts to get a good job. All I can do as a father is set him up for success, not hand it to him.

YouTube - Marine Military Academy - Educational Television

Ahem... please explain the above highlighted area. And then I will address going to a Military Academy.

Scubie
Frederick Military Academy Alumni
Class of 74'

Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Ahem... please explain the above highlighted area. And then I will address going to a Military Academy.

Scubie
Frederick Military Academy Alumni
Class of 74'
LMFAO! There you have it. If I had the opportiunity for either, I would go Blue. Colorado Springs is a great place to live.

*Cue the Air Force contingency*

Heck, I hope my son goes to medical school through the AF ROTC. If so, possibly Full Bird by 45. I am gonna hedge my retirement on that.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 09-26-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: over hecking

Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #4

After 2 years at the Naval Academy is when you can decide whether you will to become a Naval Officer or a Marine Corps Officer.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 09-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
After 2 years at the Naval Academy is when you can decide whether you will to become a Naval Officer or a Marine Corps Officer.

Ok that I will accept ... squid or self emplacing sand bag.

I spent 4 years in a Military Academy and it was the worst and best experience of my life. I hated the structure, orders, inspections, drilling, studying and worst of all….. UPPER CLASSMEN (until I became one). Now as I look back I was very fortunate to have been able to attend FMA. Glass and I went to a reunion in 2004 and this was the first I had ever attended. She could not believe that when we walked in room guys started yelling and coming over and talking like it was last week and not 30 years, but when you live with guys for 4 years, 10 months a year, seven days a week, 24 hours a day you tend to come to know them pretty close. I’m going back to Portsmouth, VA next year for another reunion and am really looking forward to it. Our school was small, only about 1000 cadets, but we were giants to each other. If he will go I highly encourage it as he will learn a lot more than book learning,, some lessons have to be lived and can’t be taught and the lessons learned in that environment are priceless.

Scubie

Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #6

As far as college Id like to see him get into the US Naval academy. 1) Better oportunities, 2) ITS FREE. Id hope to be able to save some money after spending $150k on high school. If not there then hopefully one of the elite colleges, then a private military academy. But if he says he wants to go to a community college, all I can do is support that.