Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mandatory reporting of suspected child neglect or abuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default Mandatory reporting of suspected child neglect or abuse

In commitee, S1877
Requires all adults to report suspected child abuse or neglect under penalty of law. Not just people who are trained in the matter, teachers, doctors first responders, but ALL ADULTS. So if little johnny throws a fit in walmart and you disipline him becareful. Or if you see little johnny get swatted on the behind and don't report it you may fall under the new law for noncompliance. I have no tolorence for anybody who mistreats kids but I don't think this is a good idea.

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wait, so theoretically, if I whoop my kid's @$$, which he seriously needs from time to time, and my neighbors know about it but don't report it, they could be prosecuted too? That's a load of bravo sierra.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

If I find out someone is abusing a child, I'll report them in a heartbeat; but these kind of laws should only apply to professionals.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

It should just fall on any upstanding person who sees a child with two black eyes, instead it makes it against the law for us to mind our own business.

Downsouth, do you have a link?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieman

Spanking is legal. Child discipline is allowed to a degree. Damn good thing too!
It depends on who is doing the reporting. I've had people threaten to report me for spanking my kid. And the cold hard truth is, any accusation, no matter how unfounded, is investigated and causes undue hardship on the accused.

All it takes is for someone to use the word "abuse". By the way, my experience in this comes from trying to help my neighbor out with that type of situation, so my word doesn't carry the weight of law.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They want to expand this responsibility to everyone because the tax takers with the responsibility already (schools, teachers, social workers) have failed miserably to do their jobs.

It will be really tough to enforce, but such a law would allow society to go after people like the wife of Sandusky who probably knew what was going on in between Sandusky and those kids in the basement of her home.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Ah, point taken. They should both be hung.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A kid throwing a tantrum is a better-indicator of 'abuse' or 'neglect'. Kids who have discipline problems often have parents who don't love them enough to set boundaries; nor take their jobs as parents seriously.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

There is a world of difference in 'abusing' a child, and in 'disciplining' the same.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp
A kid throwing a tantrum is a better-indicator of 'abuse' or 'neglect'. Kids who have discipline problems often have parents who don't love them enough to set boundaries; nor take their jobs as parents seriously.
How many kids do you have?
I only ask because I love my kid, I spend time with my kid, set boundaries, and I discipline him anytime he needs it. My mom did the same to me.

Now I as a child, and my son too, have both been known to lose our cool and throw a total fit on occasions (he got a belt last night for said behavior, because he started screaming at me that he didn't want to do his homework)

Does that indicate to you that me or my kid have been abused?

That would be funny, considering the awards he gets in school, and the father of the year awards I got for our involvement in the community and his involvement in school functions. I know that's not what make a good parent, but I don't see an abusive parent taking the time to get to that point.

And I'll tell any one, my mom was not abusive, even if I did lose my sh! T on several occasions as a kid.