Man Vs Wild

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Man Vs Wild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Man Vs Wild

Anyone here seen it?

Man vs. Wild : Bear Grylls : Discovery Channel

Broadcast on Discovery channel in the US, shown out here free-to-air (no other way I can see it). The presenter is ex-SAS reserve, at the age of 23 he became the youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mount Everest, and led an expedition across the North Atlantic Ocean in a small open inflatable boat. The Siberia episode was shown here last night, was awesome.

Oh yeah, and he eats anything...all alive & wriggling. The usual bugs/snakes/frogs etc The episode where he killed, ate & hollowed out a camel to crawl into to survive the night in the Sahara was pretty memorable. Not to mention when the Bedouins he met insisted he ate highly prized raw goat testicles lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class273 View Post
Oh yes, I've been watching him now for a couple of seasons. Didn't realize he was SAS reserve though and at 23. That surprises me. My personal opinion is that SAS is for rather experienced and grizzled veteran types who might have more time in service than Grylls has been alive. He is entertaining though with his "eating habits".

Not necessarily. My krav maga instructor was one of Australia's youngest Commando recruits at 17, and got awarded his green beret at 18.

Sorry it was probably my bad expression, not sure of what age he was in the SAS(R), I meant he climbed Everest at 23. Apologies there

and yeah it's fun watching him eat various sh1t

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

didn't he get busted for staying at hotels and having his staff supply him with food while supposedly out in the wild?

Entertaining.......... I like survivorman more.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
didn't he get busted for staying at hotels and having his staff supply him with food while supposedly out in the wild?

Entertaining.......... I like survivorman more.
Yes he did, that is why they changed the disclaimer at the beginning. Edward Grylls is still one ballsy tough guy. He broke his back once during a sky dive accident, and he still does back flips out of helos.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

I like watching Man vs Wild and Survivor man. It is interesting to see both their takes in the wild. Bear is more of a hunter vs Less who is more of scavenger. I do have to give Less props since he carries all his own equipment, while Bear has a crew doing is camel work. I get the feeling Bear is more show than anything else, but entertaining. Who else would piss into a freshly skined snake and drink your own piss out of it. I just keep watching it to see what shock factor he has next. His advice is horrible and dangerous and his urban survival segment was a complete joke, but again entertaining.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I like watching Man vs Wild and Survivor man. It is interesting to see both their takes in the wild. Bear is more of a hunter vs Less who is more of scavenger. I do have to give Less props since he carries all his own equipment, while Bear has a crew doing is camel work. I get the feeling Bear is more show than anything else, but entertaining. Who else would piss into a freshly skined snake and drink your own piss out of it. I just keep watching it to see what shock factor he has next. His advice is horrible and dangerous and his urban survival segment was a complete joke, but again entertaining.

Yeah the shock factor is the hook really; and he does seem a bit of a media tart, heh. However I just loved seeing the Siberian episode for the landscape etc.

I've never heared of Survivorman, which isn't surprising. Probably won't get it out here which is a pity, sounds good...

Quote:

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

YouTube - survivorman

Survivorman is real to me and Bear is just a drama queen.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
YouTube - survivorman

Survivorman is real to me and Bear is just a drama queen.
I agree, Les shows you how to really survive and bear shows you how to get yourself killed or busted up enough that your dead meat anyway. Bear is more entertaining though.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I watch and like both shows. I agree that Survivorman is more realistic because Les is on his own and sets up his own shots.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #10

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

I like both shows. But I agree that Bear is a bit over the top. I also saw the suburban one too. I thought that was rediculous. It's all entertaining though. I have only seen Survivorman a couple of times. I like the fact that he caries a gun and shoots it. What is the normal time that it is on? What network? I have stumbled only onto it when channel surfing.