Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Man Vs Wild (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/man-vs-wild-24416/)

zhuk 03-09-2010 07:14 AM

Man Vs Wild

Anyone here seen it?

Man vs. Wild : Bear Grylls : Discovery Channel

Broadcast on Discovery channel in the US, shown out here free-to-air (no other way I can see it). The presenter is ex-SAS reserve, at the age of 23 he became the youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mount Everest, and led an expedition across the North Atlantic Ocean in a small open inflatable boat. The Siberia episode was shown here last night, was awesome.

Oh yeah, and he eats anything...all alive & wriggling. The usual bugs/snakes/frogs etc :p The episode where he killed, ate & hollowed out a camel to crawl into to survive the night in the Sahara was pretty memorable. Not to mention when the Bedouins he met insisted he ate highly prized raw goat testicles lol

zhuk 03-09-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class273 (Post 244003)
Oh yes, I've been watching him now for a couple of seasons. Didn't realize he was SAS reserve though and at 23. That surprises me. My personal opinion is that SAS is for rather experienced and grizzled veteran types who might have more time in service than Grylls has been alive. He is entertaining though with his "eating habits".

Not necessarily. My krav maga instructor was one of Australia's youngest Commando recruits at 17, and got awarded his green beret at 18.

Sorry it was probably my bad expression, not sure of what age he was in the SAS(R), I meant he climbed Everest at 23. Apologies there :o

and yeah it's fun watching him eat various sh1t :D

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 08:45 AM

didn't he get busted for staying at hotels and having his staff supply him with food while supposedly out in the wild? :rolleyes:

Entertaining.......... I like survivorman more. ;)

skullcrusher 03-09-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 244012)
didn't he get busted for staying at hotels and having his staff supply him with food while supposedly out in the wild? :rolleyes:

Entertaining.......... I like survivorman more. ;)

Yes he did, that is why they changed the disclaimer at the beginning. Edward Grylls is still one ballsy tough guy. He broke his back once during a sky dive accident, and he still does back flips out of helos.

gadrooning 03-09-2010 01:43 PM

I like watching Man vs Wild and Survivor man. It is interesting to see both their takes in the wild. Bear is more of a hunter vs Less who is more of scavenger. I do have to give Less props since he carries all his own equipment, while Bear has a crew doing is camel work. I get the feeling Bear is more show than anything else, but entertaining. Who else would piss into a freshly skined snake and drink your own piss out of it. I just keep watching it to see what shock factor he has next. His advice is horrible and dangerous and his urban survival segment was a complete joke, but again entertaining.

zhuk 03-09-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadrooning (Post 244077)
I like watching Man vs Wild and Survivor man. It is interesting to see both their takes in the wild. Bear is more of a hunter vs Less who is more of scavenger. I do have to give Less props since he carries all his own equipment, while Bear has a crew doing is camel work. I get the feeling Bear is more show than anything else, but entertaining. Who else would piss into a freshly skined snake and drink your own piss out of it. I just keep watching it to see what shock factor he has next. His advice is horrible and dangerous and his urban survival segment was a complete joke, but again entertaining.

Yeah the shock factor is the hook really; and he does seem a bit of a media tart, heh. However I just loved seeing the Siberian episode for the landscape etc.

I've never heared of Survivorman, which isn't surprising. Probably won't get it out here which is a pity, sounds good...

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 09:16 PM

YouTube - survivorman

Survivorman is real to me and Bear is just a drama queen. :p

pandamonium 03-09-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 244349)
YouTube - survivorman

Survivorman is real to me and Bear is just a drama queen. :p

I agree, Les shows you how to really survive and bear shows you how to get yourself killed or busted up enough that your dead meat anyway. Bear is more entertaining though.

Car54 03-09-2010 11:10 PM

I watch and like both shows. I agree that Survivorman is more realistic because Les is on his own and sets up his own shots.

Rick1967 03-09-2010 11:43 PM

I like both shows. But I agree that Bear is a bit over the top. I also saw the suburban one too. I thought that was rediculous. It's all entertaining though. I have only seen Survivorman a couple of times. I like the fact that he caries a gun and shoots it. What is the normal time that it is on? What network? I have stumbled only onto it when channel surfing.