Man fends off mountain lion with chainsaw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Man fends off mountain lion with chainsaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Man fends off mountain lion with chainsaw

Ex-Marine fends off lion with chainsaw - Life- msnbc.com

Quote:
CODY, Wyoming - Wielding his chain saw as a weapon, a former U.S. Marine says he fought off a starving mountain lion that attacked him while he was camping with his wife and two toddlers in northwestern Wyoming.

Dustin Britton, a 32-year-old mechanic and ex-Marine, said he was alone cutting firewood about 100 feet from his campsite in the Shoshone National Forest when he saw the lion staring at him from some bushes.

Britton revved his 18-inch chain saw and tried to back away. But the 100-pound lion followed.
As the animal pounced, Britton raised his saw and met it head-on — a collision he said felt like a grown man running right into him.

"It batted me three or four times with its front paws and as quick as I hit it with that saw it just turned away," he said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Britton later discovered he'd inflicted a gash on the lion's shoulder. He said he was surprised the damage wasn't worse.

"You would think if you hit an animal with a chain saw it would dig right in. I might as well have hit it with a hockey stick," he said.

The wounded animal retreated, leaving Britton with a only small puncture wound on his forearm.

The attack occurred Sunday evening. Wildlife agents shot and killed the lion Monday after it attacked a dog brought in to track the animal.

Authorities say the lion was in poor physical condition and appeared to be starving. The lion was 4 to 5 years old.

Mountain lions are considered reclusive by nature and officials said the circumstances of the attack were highly unusual. Wyoming officials have documented only eight cases of mountain lions acting aggressively toward humans over the last decade.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wasn't there a biker that was attacked by a mountain lion not long ago? I seem to remember something about it biting her/his(can't remember) head and trying to drag them into the woods. I want to say it was in the southwest. Anyone else remember that?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Talk about adapt and overcome...

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

well, you could say while he was out camping he "sawed" a mountain lion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Hyuk, hyuk... That's a goodin' thar Leroy! I sawed me a big ol' cat too!

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Wasn't there a biker that was attacked by a mountain lion not long ago? I seem to remember something about it biting her/his(can't remember) head and trying to drag them into the woods. I want to say it was in the southwest. Anyone else remember that?
I think that was out here in Calif. The bikers friend fought it off with rocks and sticks.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I think that was out here in Calif. The bikers friend fought it off with rocks and sticks.
It was over in Humboldt county. It was an elderly couple in their late 60s who were out for a bike ride. The man's wife was able to get the cat off of her husband by throwing rocks and beating it with a stick.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There ya go, glad to know I wasn't making it up. I'm stil trying to imagine fighting a 100lb cat with a chainsaw...not something I would look forward to.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have a friend who swears that he punched some kind of big wild cat (bigger than german shepherd but shorter) in the face after coming eye-to-eye through the window of his tent while investigating suspected racoon mischief. He says this happened in some state park in Arkansas when he was about 18 and was followed by much colorful language, a backflip of the entire tent, girlish screams, and sleeping in the car. He reported that the cat must've split when the tent went flipping. This guy is generally very trustworthy, but i still have trouble with that one. Dude is a large person & would instinctively attack if scared, i know. I don't know much about big cats myself, but my pet cats make me very leary of a larger version roaming free. I don't know if there is a population of cougars or panthers or mountain lions in Arkansas.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have a friend who swears that he punched some kind of big wild cat (bigger than german shepherd but shorter) in the face after coming eye-to-eye through the window of his tent while investigating suspected racoon mischief. He says this happened in some state park in Arkansas when he was about 18 and was followed by much colorful language, a backflip of the entire tent, girlish screams, and sleeping in the car. He reported that the cat must've split when the tent went flipping. This guy is generally very trustworthy, but i still have trouble with that one. Dude is a large person & would instinctively attack if scared, i know. I don't know much about big cats myself, but my pet cats make me very leary of a larger version roaming free. I don't know if there is a population of cougars or panthers or mountain lions in Arkansas.
I suppose it could happen. I know house cats don't like being hit on the nose, a slight tap will send them running. I guess if he punched it on the nose it might have the same effect. Cat my have just been curious and a hit to the nose was enough to end it.